Dead & Co. - Fall Tour 2017

DesertDead

• Forum MVP

Ok boys and girls - who's going where?

---A lot of weekday gigs.  Maybe to leave openings to add shows (MSG, Boston); maybe to help to knock down attendance for smaller, indoor venues?

---A Dead show in New Orleans.  Perhaps Mr. Weir will get the lyrics right to Truckin?  Big Boss Man, anyone?

---First Texas shows since fall 1988.  

How soon until they they announce the West Coast runs?  NYE in L.A. again or back home in the Bay?  Somewhere else?

fun stuff

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

I will not go back to Columbus. They tried to throw us out, literally walking us to the door, when I asked for reconsideration, having never been thrown out, esp. only 4 songs into the first set. It was cold out there and beyond my comprehension, the inconsideration.The rest of the show we were treated like outsiders, constantly being shuffled here and then "get outta here", our seats were so high up and in the bad part of the arena area. I heard Nashville was much kinder. letting people enjoy themselves. Columbus will not see me again. all the reason I started slowing down with the Dead in 1990, concentrating more on JGB theatre shows and Emmylou and The Nash Ramblers (Sam Bush after leaving Newgrass Revival's last show opening for GD NYE). they had a reportorie of 6-7 shows of new songs, very tourable, some songs  only surfaced once, kinda similar to getting a comes a time

• Forum MVP

Interesting to see Dead and Co are participating in a verified fan precheck to assure people not bots are getting tickets. That is progress!  The fruit of being a fan on a mailing list. 

We are are so lucky to have this forum. JRAD doesn't have a community like this one. Feel the love. 

I don't  believe  I ever posted this content , but I heard Mayer speaking on the Golden Road. A fan mentioned his gossip magazine warts and Mayer said that early fame brought its fruits but made tumors grow exponentially too - the dark spots all us humans work through to express and trust our aumakua, or true selves. He had cut a lot of chaff, focusing on his true love of music. A flower does not bloom in search of the bee. I was happy to hear he realized he didn't have to try so hard to prove himself musically as he feels like he is part of the band.  Mayer has felt the cooperative approach of the Grateful Dead, being a finger on the figurative hand that is the band. That was outside his realm of experience .  Good stuff.  DSO obviously comes from a cooperative place, syncopated and making music like one organism. 

• Forum MVP

Recently listened to a Dead and company shakedown street>ujb on SiriusXM, and it had me going, really fun poke around and the leads were off the charts, good stuff, really enjoyed their outdoor Riverbend show last summer, might try to make it up to Detroit if cash is in hand. Got get to the beach first and Emmylou in Ashland, KY in November. Catch her while you still can, stumble Into grace. Really like the band Bobby has put together. Otiel is great also. DSO in Cincy this year. I hope to provide a place for anyone here on the forum.to stay while traveling in Ohio. Dropped the ball last year.

• Forum MVP
On 9/8/2017 at 11:50 AM, Ammagamalin Crew said:

I will not go back to Columbus. They tried to throw us out, literally walking us to the door, when I asked for reconsideration, having never been thrown out, esp. only 4 songs into the first set. It was cold out there and beyond my comprehension, the inconsideration.The rest of the show we were treated like outsiders, constantly being shuffled here and then "get outta here", our seats were so high up and in the bad part of the arena area. I heard Nashville was much kinder. letting people enjoy themselves. Columbus will not see me again. all the reason I started slowing down with the Dead in 1990, concentrating more on JGB theatre shows and Emmylou and The Nash Ramblers (Sam Bush after leaving Newgrass Revival's last show opening for GD NYE). they had a reportorie of 6-7 shows of new songs, very tourable, some songs  only surfaced once, kinda similar to getting a comes a time

I was on the floor in Nashville. They were asshats. I get pushed into the aisle and usher comes up to me and says I have to get behind a chair. I'm like how do I do this?  No one was dancing, people sitting. The sound was horrible. Note this was 1st tour and the band was the worst dead cover in the country at that point. But I was next to soundboard and I couldn't hear any cymbals. It was a hollow sound and in the state of mind I was in, it should have sounded fantastic. Mid court floor 3 feet from the board should be amazing sound. Dude should have been fired. 

That being said, if there were 2 shows together I might go but there's nothing appealing to me. I'll do summer tour next year but I hate arenas. The sound sucks. 

• Forum MVP
8 hours ago, PoetryGirl said:

Interesting to see Dead and Co are participating in a verified fan precheck to assure people not bots are getting tickets. That is progress!  The fruit of being a fan on a mailing list. 

We are are so lucky to have this forum. JRAD doesn't have a community like this one. Feel the love. 

I don't  believe  I ever posted this content , but I heard Mayer speaking on the Golden Road. A fan mentioned his gossip magazine warts and Mayer said that early fame brought its fruits but made tumors grow exponentially too - the dark spots all us humans work through to express and trust our aumakua, or true selves. He had cut a lot of chaff, focusing on his true love of music. A flower does not bloom in search of the bee. I was happy to hear he realized he didn't have to try so hard to prove himself musically as he feels like he is part of the band.  Mayer has felt the cooperative approach of the Grateful Dead, being a finger on the figurative hand that is the band. That was outside his realm of experience .  Good stuff.  DSO obviously comes from a cooperative place, syncopated and making music like one organism. 

I do respect that Mayer admitted how bad he was at 1st in a cbs interview I watched. He still says he has this vision of how he wants to play each night and his playing never lives up to that but he will keep trying to get better. That being said, this is a part time job for him. He just finished a solo tour. You can't be part time dead and do it justice especially since you are brand new to the dead. Yes, 4-5 years is a brand new deadhead. Most here have 20-48 years of absorbing this band.  I watched la la land last night. It's a flawed movie but when he described jazz, he was describing the dead. He was talking about each player jumping in. He said "its conflict. It's compromise. It's new every time."  If Mayer was a jazz guy, dead would be easy for him. Any major jazz player could jump in and play dead once they learned the songs. It's why Pat Mallinger in the DSO pre dead 50 show at the Vic played sax like he'd been with DSO since show 1.  I don't think any of us really understood the dead completely for many years. We enjoyed them but we didn't know it in our souls.  It's like dancing to the dead. I feel like my dance is an instrument. I'm creating along with the musicians. I try not to follow the music, but to be a part of it and lead it. But you need the music to be inscribed into your soul. If it isn't you will try to follow or wait for the music to be played to react instead of riding the tightrope progression. 

• Forum MVP
1 hour ago, Rude said:

That being said, if there were 2 shows together I might go but there's nothing appealing to me. I'll do summer tour next year but I hate arenas. The sound sucks. 

Our definition of sucky concert sound must be extremely different.  While they are certainly not all created equal, I have really enjoyed all of my indoor concert experiences with The Grateful Dead.  Although it could have been the Roses, lol.

In all honesty I would count the particularly choice indoor venues among my favorite show experiences of all time.  When they got it right it was thick and often louder.  YMMV.

Interesting, too, is how much things can vary for where you are located within the arenas from one night to the next.

But, right on, man.

Almost just bought a ticket for Hartford, passed at the last minute. Probably would be a fun time, but being the night before Thanksgiving and seeing a bunch of DSO shows around the same time I figured it would be better to stay home. If anyone would like a Hartford presale chose to grab some tickets, let me know.

• Forum MVP

I can't say I will make any of these. DSO is the priority and no brainer choice for me. I've been following this music pretty hard since about 2007. Relatively new Deadhead but for me, DSO has consistently put out the best dead product for me musically. The music is what matters. If I want a scene I'll make it.

That being said, we are looking into possibly doing Austin or maybe New Orleans. 

Please stop with the first dead show in Texas crap since 88. This isn't the dead and it drives me crazy when people imply that it is so. Felt same way about dead50. We are celebrating Jerrys legacy. No Jerry. No Grateful Dead. No changing of the stats. Last Dead Texas show will forever be 88. Just like the last Dead show ever will always be soldier field 95. We didn't change that with the 50th anniversary celebration or the dead and company tour. These little things Dead and co fans insist on doing turn some of us off in the biggest of ways. I find it to be pissing on jerrys legacy to pretend this band is the Grateful Dead. 

• Forum MVP

Also I hate John Mayer interviews. He says a lot of the right stuff. To me it's phony as shit, those that really get these philosophies don't feel the need to speak as much as he does. Turn down the interviews. Play the music. Differ to bobby and phil on matters of Dead philosophy. Reference Jerry but don't speak on it like you know shit. You just learning kid. This is the period where you listen as you learn to speak or when not too. Some things are better left unsaid. Let their be music...

• Forum MVP

According to that logic, the Grateful Dead died with Pigpen. Jerry became the Jerry we know  because of Phil, Pig, Mickey, Billy, and Robert Hunter and all the other influences like Bill Monroe and Mountain Girl and the Pranksters and Owsley. Jerry does not equal the Grateful Dead. It is not the same without him but it wasn't the same without Brent- the only death of a band member I experienced. 

• Forum MVP

I can accept that the true Grateful Dead died with Pigpen. He deserves that homage and respect. However, Bobby and Phil. The elders. Those that I think carry the most weight in these matters today chose never tour as the Grateful Dead after Jerrys passing. Dso, Bobby, and I'm pretty sure Phil have played Texas since 95. Why don't count as dead shows?  This isn't the Grateful Dead. Those aren't Dead shows. They are Dead and Co tribute to the dead. Bobby and Phil chose to let the Grateful Dead rest with Jerry. They've carried on in his spirit but have always shown him that respect. Sucks dead and co fans won't do the same. 

• Forum MVP

I didn't mean to upset you.

You're right:  there is no more Grateful Dead.

I promise that I was not trying to pull the wool over your eyes by saying that this is the first Dead show in Texas since 1988.

The apparent depth of your frustration probably has more to do with you than it does for the genuine love of any music, though.  So I wish you peace in that context.  

In all fairness though, I can assure you that your tone to me is completely unwarranted and overboard, as I am quite clear on the differences between The Grateful Dead, Other Ones, FTW, DSO, and Willie Nelson's picnic.  You might be talking to someone who knows more about the topic than you do.  "Sure might warn a few..."

Want to know what I think sucks?  Uptight people.

• Forum MVP

I'm glad you have a wealth of knowledge. Respect. Good to know your stuff. Still confused by first dead shows since 88 given a 2003 performance by the others One's and the dead. I just like to have my facts straight really. 

I can be loose. I can be uptight. I assure you know nothing about me or my love of this music. Maybe someday we will share the dance floor. I assure you I will erase all your doubts.

• Forum MVP

The name of the band as "Grateful Dead" ended in 1995 at the decision of the members of the band.  The "Grateful Dead music" has continued to be played by a large number of bands...some including a few of the original members and many with other talented musicians. We should all be grateful that we can dance and listen to this wonderful music.  Don't quibber about a few statistics or even when Bobby sings the wrong words.

Peace and Love,

Doc

• Forum MVP

I was not aware of the Other Ones in Texas.  If I was I probably would have either mentioned that date as the last time in Texas or not highlighted it at all.  

I agree with with the implication that the OO's is the same as D&Co. i.e. not the Grateful Dead.  

Beyond all of that the initial thought that lead to me thinking about the last time the circus was in Texas was around the fact that the place is politically a generally conservative place, and that the real Grateful Dead did not return during their final seven years, most of which saw heavy touring in a variety of places.  The point being that now *they* are returning.  Said circus is now a carnival, at best, compared to the scene in 1988, but I still found it interesting.

I swear it had nothing to do with me thinking that John Mayer is like Jerome.  

And not sure if sincere, but I would honestly love to meet you sometime.  Anyone who chooses to spend some of their free time here discussing such important matters is someone that I obviously have a fair amount in common with.

Lastly, I lol a bit at the thought of a hippie dance-off to prove passion and loyalty.  Trippin 2 - Garcia Boogaloo!  

Archived