Dead & Co. - Fall Tour 2017

DesertDead

• Forum MVP
2 hours ago, PoetryGirl said:

According to that logic, the Grateful Dead died with Pigpen. Jerry became the Jerry we know  because of Phil, Pig, Mickey, Billy, and Robert Hunter and all the other influences like Bill Monroe and Mountain Girl and the Pranksters and Owsley. Jerry does not equal the Grateful Dead. It is not the same without him but it wasn't the same without Brent- the only death of a band member I experienced. 

Love you PG, but we all know the truth here.  Phill, Bobby, pig, hart, and bill, Donna, Keith, Vince, Brent, Hornsby.  They were all replaced.  No one can replace the leader of the band.  I love pig.  Our community has brought me very close to him, but Jerry is father time.     

I don't argue with you PG, to much respect, but I disagree.  Jerry was the heart, and yes, in this day and age we have pacemakers, but they need recharging, repairs, and all the other things that replacements bring, but we can not replace Jerry.  

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, DesertDead said:

Lastly, I lol a bit at the thought of a hippie dance-off to prove passion and loyalty.  Trippin 2 - Garcia Boogaloo!  

This would be great. I would love to hear a figure skating style commentary and see what kind of names they come up with for the moves. Crouching Spark, Bliss Shuffle, Freestyle Clearly Dosed,  etc :D

• Forum MVP

At the July 4th dead 50, I did say "holy shit, a fast FOTD.  When was the last time the dead did that?"  Then I was like oh this isnt really the dead.  If you can get your escape with a band, then  do it and fuck everyone else who tells you differently.  I get mine from DSO but if deadco is your thing then rock on and fuck the rest.

• Forum MVP
4 hours ago, chuckvegas said:

Keith and Donna Jean should not be forgotten when the roll is called. They greatly influenced my GD experience. In fact, they even figure somewhat in a prominent movie about the band.

Pig  figured very big as the original leader of the early band; therefore the listing of early formative influences of Jerry stop with him in my argument. Of course Keith and Donna are super stars. They brought a depth that is irrefutable, 

• Forum MVP
13 minutes ago, gr8fulpair said:

I'm not that hungry so I think I'll have a bowl of cereal for dinner tonight. 

Um, don't look now, but the three wise men of cereal are on the prowl.

Tis FrankenBerry, CountChocula, and my boy BooBerry, of course!  

• Forum MVP

Infectious, like eboli, but mason,through all of my shit, and I know your lines, hard not to know, I have often came  to you for the support of what it takes for a show goer like myself.  You have taught me dance, introduced me to many good people.  Looked after me in a isolated carribiean land, and has rarely said no to my request.   My Thanks  for your friendship,  not able be explained in words but through hugs.    your a prime example how our words challenged each other until we sweat together.  One of the first words you said to me was "man, it's second song and you look like your in two sets deep"!!!  I loved you from that moment despite our words shared before that day.  I could tell your appreciation for others who also love this music.  

We agree....DSO jams this music better than we could have ever hoped for.  DSO has played better music consistently than any GD show I ever saw.   I got 89 Hampton, 91 copps, and some other good 89 93 shows, some still very good jjb.  Which was my dance church.  Jjb had those people you want to be with,not like dead and co has now.  

I hate dead and co crowd.  It offers so many young ladies to taste my sweat, and kiss my old but still youthful face.  They don't know how to dance at dead and co, so I help them still enjoy sub par DSO.   I like cover bands, and dead and co is a decent dead cover.  They miss a lot, and are not so tight.  I do like Mayer terrapins, but it's still not anything I appreciate like I do DSO.  

I love GD.  I am ok with cover GD, but not really.  

I fell apart to DSO. I met the band members, except Eaton, and I know he knows me.  He has laughed at me dancing before.  I  am still star struck by them, and I am no groupie.  Star struck, because we have young people who play GD in so many eras, and do it in way GD could never do.  

St Stephen.....many you never heard that song played in the past by gd, but u get it now, at times better!!      Look, if you feel this music..if it channels through you like it does me, than you know dead and co is a cover band of so so proportions.  It's a outlet.  Awesome...if they get near me again ...I will go. I love the music, but , if I want to loose myself in the music, and get a whole range of on spot GD....a group of individuals who can channel the music like none ever have does.

... DSO....they make me dance with intensities I could never get from dead and co.

Thank you DSO for everything you do!!

• Forum MVP
2 hours ago, chuckvegas said:

I missed seeing Pig by about 5 months. I didn't fully grasp the significance of it all back then, and I was not the master of my traveling fate.  Not that things have changed much; it still just slips away.

I can't be the only one hanging around here that saw Pegpen.  He totally blew me away that night in Piedmont Park...well actually the whole scene that day was awesome...Sprite , Chicago Transit Authority, Bonnie and Dalaney and some Friends, and then the Grateful Dead.

Peace and Love,

Doc

Keith was a freaking genius.  Easily my favorite Piano player with the Grateful Dead and I don't think its close. But to each his own,

As to the whole Dead and Company thing.  I like them. It's a fun time but it matters little to me who is playing guitar. It's all about ACE and I go to see Weir every single chance I get. He is late 20th and early 21 Century musical integrity defined.  He,  most of all has channeled Garcia and kept the legacy afloat thoughtfully.  The best concert I saw in 2016 (and I see alot of shows) was his show at the Chicago Theater in support of Blue Mountan..Ironically many of these songs would fit just as nicely with a Garcia lead vocals and my opinion the whole album is a lyrical masterpiece and a few of these cuts would fit very comfortably on any Dead Album from American Beauty forward. No, no one can replace Jerry Garcia he was a force of nature. But wake up people no one can replace Bob Weir either. I just don't think some people realize how impactful it will be when Ace leaves the building. He has earned it honest.

• Forum MVP

I think Bobby although not to the same magnitude as Garcia would've been afforded the same respect. If Bobby went first, so would the Grateful Dead. Sometimes I think you exaggerated and go a little overboard with your praise of Bobby but you're right truth be told Bobby is one of the most important musicians and troubadours of the 20th and 21st centuries. He and I would say Phil have been integral as keepers of the flame. They've kept the music his memory and his legacy afloat. It continues to grow and blossom with each note with each song with each dance. 

I appreciate Dead and co more than I've probably let on here. I'm all about turning on the kids. I see Dead music whenever I can big sky and shakedown street this weekend. 

• Forum MVP

I'm not a huge fan of the Bobby Rockstar thing but his guitar playing is truly unique. Dare I say more unique than Jerry? No comparison necessary but just to say that what Bobby does is an integral part of what the grateful dead is. Put on a pitb from 72/73... Bobby is spinning all kinds of weirdness. It might not be what one's mind focuses on but it helps to frame the music together.

• Forum MVP
17 hours ago, Michael Doc Watson said:

I can't be the only one hanging around here that saw Pegpen.  He totally blew me away that night in Piedmont Park..

Peace and Love,

Doc

Barraco saw him 3/28/72.  

Of Grateful Dead members---- 

I am going  to see Mickey Hart. I don't care if I miss work;  I am going to see him play some percussion next opportunity that presents. Maybe his new work with SCI Jason Hunn  will present some touring opportunities. I think he's the cat's meow, an alien of the best sort for sure. 

Archived