TIGDH

DesertDead

4 hours ago, DesertDead said:

https://archive.org/details/gd94-10-05.sbd.unknown.6483.sbeok.shnf

Today's offering from the Spectrum.  Pretty funny review by user Wang Dong at the very top of the comments section of the Archive page linked above.  

Hahaha, that is a funny review. Something tells me he's using a pseudonym 🤔🤔

• Forum MVP

The Warlock Shows.... 

the rumor was out.... my friends and I scored tickets and ditched class to head up. I had an allergic reaction before the show and ran into this ER doc I had met before. The Doc’s name was Jerry and had the grey hair and beard. He  assured me I was fine even though my hands swelled. I later saw him up front on the rail. I was right in front of  Jerry and when he looked at you his eyes went on forever like the sea. His presence was kind but definitely larger than life. It got crowded up there and as I was getting pressed up against guy in his wheel chair, I booked. When second set opened with HSF I was hanging by the soundboard. The place exploded with the first notes!! It was always good vibes back there and I was stoked to have the room to dance it out. Hampton Roads was as epic as anyone had ever said. The scene was easy and kind- really nice crowd. It was totally worth it to bomb that organic chem test- as a freshman- I could take it over no problem. 

• Like (+1) 4

• Forum MVP
16 hours ago, PoetryGirl said:

The Warlock Shows.... 

Hampton Roads was as epic as anyone had ever said. 

Around here we call it the Tidewater.

Hampton is one of the murder capitals of the world.  Reasons extend into the history of the civil war books. 

With bad, comes the good, and though my mind had yet to truley wrap around the music of the Warlocks, due to close proxcimity of my living situation and my inclination towards travel, abuse, and the extreme desire to do what my parents did not want me to do,......I too got the Warlocks.  

Got two other shows there, and i think 2 JGB's.

The recordings reveal to me more majic than i was able to understand, but thanks for the knowledge that we might of bumped into each other PG.  If we did.....i was not yet dancing like a person who cared more about the music  than the thoughts of those watchin me, but it was shows like this that created the spark of okism in my now presentstion enjowed with DSO.

Time passes, i was 13 at that time.  Only 6ft then, as the ritilan stunted my growth, so says mom, but it still hit with a force.  More so from the crowd and excitement than the words ripped, and the slicing sounds of musical bliss.  

Easy to get lost in this morning, but  a smile indeed produced.  

Thanks for a shared memory, even though its shared 27 years later.  

Where did the time go?

• Like (+1) 2

• Forum MVP

Tickets were not easy and I was usually given help.  Not this time.  I heard the roar outside followed by screams of Dark Star!  Dark Star!  After missing Help>Slip from the night before, I was more than a little miserable.  My companions told me they were “One-Off’s” which made me even more cranky.  Thank the good lord they ended up being wrong.

The mothership was a great venue for the Grateful Dead but boy the heat was on!  Cops were indeed not feeling the festive atmosphere... 

Those shows marked the official beginning of me doing GDT SOO for just about every show I did going forward.  It wouldn't have helped for Hampton but I was determined to never again leave my tickets to fate.

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

10/11/77 Univ of OK on a Tues

Last HSF until3/25/83, in this one, Phil’s bass is lit like a boss!! 

Betty board on archive.

There is an additional lyric- “yes, you will” - in Franklins. I really find Keith annoying; I think I could’ve play that chord. - over and over and over. 

1:HSF Jack Peggy El Paso Sunrise Deal LIG

2:  Dancin >Dire 🐺 Estimated  >Eyes >NFA >@@

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP
57 minutes ago, dupree3 said:

10/13/68 Avalon was pretty darn sweet. I always enjoy a Death Don't Have No Mercy and this one doesn't disappoint!

10/13/80 Warfield is one of my favorite shows of that run. Just all around incredible!

I see someone has their head in the right place today. :)  

I presume you're getting hydrated and performing some stretching in preparation for tonight?

• Forum MVP

Brendan Byrne Arena on 1989-10-16:

http://relisten.net/grateful-dead/1989/10/16-1/crowdtunning

A wonderfully weird show, Bobby’s Birthday, My first Dark Star, and the shameful death of Adam Katz that marred the tour-stop in NJ.

There was always tension between Deadheads, local law enforcement and security personnel.  I know from first-hand experience how deep that fracture went - but Adams brutal killing on 10/14 and ensuing cover-up was a dark reminder of the evil that surrounded us all during times of youthful exuberance.  The starkest of contrasts that would simply get more defined as the Touch-head generation of fans really started to be the tail that wagged the dog.

• Like (+1) 4

• Forum MVP

Good Gawd!  Today is littered with some classic GD!  Not the least of which is The Lake Acid show and it’s Monster Sugaree:

http://relisten.net/grateful-dead/1983/10/17/sugaree

I was lucky to be given a source to this show that is beyond crispy (thanks DStone!).

http://relisten.net/today

It might take all day to get through it all - there are some jaw-droppers in this batch!

• Forum MVP
2 hours ago, franknkeene said:

I became a fan, a deadhead.  I can identify the exact moment in the Sugaree that sealed the awakening.   Not too many demarcation lines in life as crystal clear as that.

It’s the weirdest thing - like your DNA being recoded.

My brainwash happened in a series of points contained within Dark Star > St Stephen > The Eleven > Lovelight    of the Live Dead album.  The final nail at the end wasn't even music - it was the words “....and Leave it ON!!!” 

And every one of them words rang true
And glowed like burnin’ coal
Pourin’ off of every page
Like it was written in my soul from me to you

• Like (+1) 4