TIGDH

DesertDead

10/2/77, great show all around. Bust out of Casey Jones, super high energy peak to set the stage. Solid first set, killer second set. Phil teases The Other One kickoff a few times and finally atomizes the house with a huge sonic blast. His teases remind me of, if you've ever watched a zoom video of the fractal Mandelbrot set (my profile picture) when you occasionally catch a glimpse of the bulb (the black part) amidst all the color. Then when he finally lays it out, it's like finally seeing the bulb zoomed in in all its glory. Or maybe the teases like seeing Kilroy peeping over the wall. Lol. My thoughts listening to The Other One 🤓🤓

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

We skipped 10/4 last year when we were lighting this candle...

How’s about 10/4/80?

If you like Reckoning and Dead Set, you’re in bidness here.  And if you’re reading this, you like Reckoning and Dead Set.  May want to pack a lunch for this one.

https://archive.org/details/gd80-10-04.sbd.blanchard.14989.sbeok.shnf

• Like (+1) 3

• Forum MVP

So, one week after my first Grateful Dead concert, I go back to college for my second year. My shroom mate has a friend who went to college in San Fran just so he could go to Dead shows. He calls my roommate to say Bill Graham bought the Warfield theatre so that the Dead could play there for two weeks straight. They’re playing acoustic sets, plus two electric sets to celebrate their fifteenth anniversary. With a few more phone calls over that time, we learn that every acoustic set is being closed with Ripple, and that they’re making a double acoustic and a double electric album from those shows. They asked everyone to not do too much hootin’ and hollerin’, as the shows were being recorded for the albums. We also learned that they were doing similar shows at Radio City. That got us cutting class and riding up to Radio City the Monday before Halloween. We ride into New York with his Buddy and try to scalp tickets. We get robbed by ‘scalpers’, and now we’re penniless outside of Radio City while our ride is inside the show. Pretty disappointed for about an hour when someone walks up to us wearing a ski mask and asks, ‘who wants to get snuck in?’ We tell him our hard luck story, and he says, ‘ stand right here, let me find three more people’. We end up walking right through the front doors of Radio City without a ticket. This guys neighbor was a ticket taker at the door. Once inside, we got free doses, red dragons two weeks old from Berkeley. Absolutely amazing night. Acoustic set was precious. Five and a half hour show. Life changing. That’s all, thanks for letting me share. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

How about turning your mind into a soupy liquid by dialing up 10-12-68!! What a gem. Really, really high qual. Recording on archive. Opens with an absolutely fucking blazing darkstar>Stephen>tell>eleven>death don't. Bobby calls the darkstar opener a "foxtrot", Lol. This will be a good to for you if you like the old stuff. 

• Like (+1) 2

• Forum MVP
31 minutes ago, gr8fulpair said:

How about turning your mind into a soupy liquid by dialing up 10-12-68!! What a gem. Really, really high qual. Recording on archive. Opens with an absolutely fucking blazing darkstar>Stephen>tell>eleven>death don't. Bobby calls the darkstar opener a "foxtrot", Lol. This will be a good to for you if you like the old stuff. 

Thanks dood - The Charlie Miller remaster is no joke despite the Pig-less-ness

https://archive.org/details/gd1968-10-12.sbd.miller.115593.flac16

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/5/2018 at 9:56 AM, Greg from Chestertown said:

Oh, one more thing that we learned about those acoustic shows. That was the first time in ten years and they said they would never play acoustic again. Time proved that to be true outside of a couple of shows. 82?

Reckoning just might be my favorite or if not then definitely the most played of the dead releases not counting dicks picks

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

Yea, reckoning is my favorite too. You can put it on and forget about it, just listen right on through. It’s my ‘go to’ for non Dead heads. 9 of the 16 songs were played the night I was there. ‘Monkey and the engineer’ was actually from that night. My shroom mates buddy was at the show in San Fran where ‘Ripple’ was played. When they say ‘that’s Otis’ , that was , I think, Bobby’s dog running across the stage. Jerry does some of the gentlest picking on ‘to lay me down’. I gave my copy to a 62 year old guy I worked with who was into bluegrass. He taught himself ‘ripple’ on the guitar. He’s now pushing 80 and does open mic nights in the area. I love it. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 10/26/2018 at 4:03 AM, Greg from Chestertown said:

Yea, reckoning is my favorite too. You can put it on and forget about it, just listen right on through. It’s my ‘go to’ for non Dead heads. 9 of the 16 songs were played the night I was there. ‘Monkey and the engineer’ was actually from that night. My shroom mates buddy was at the show in San Fran where ‘Ripple’ was played. When they say ‘that’s Otis’ , that was , I think, Bobby’s dog running across the stage. Jerry does some of the gentlest picking on ‘to lay me down’. I gave my copy to a 62 year old guy I worked with who was into bluegrass. He taught himself ‘ripple’ on the guitar. He’s now pushing 80 and does open mic nights in the area. I love it. 

Yeah that tlmd is incredible as is the jack a roe but it's definitely the ripple That's the real treat on it