TIGDH

DesertDead

• Forum MVP

Nice! Brokedown Palace is my choice. I am always thinking about those killer sound bite lyrics in the Grateful Dead catalog and stringing them together as a memorial ‘speech’. I have always felt that GD lyrics are words to live by. I enjoy shows because,through dancing, I shake out the negativity that has managed to make its way into my being. I let that space be filled with these lyrics of positivity. Words to live by, advice and insight about life. (Gotta get back to where you belong) Grateful Dead shows were, and Dark Star Orchestra shows are, transformative for me. They bring me back in line, a refresher course, if you will. The ‘I need a show’ factor is real for me. A handful of times per year and life is good. 

• Like (+1) 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

Thanks PG!!!

Tomorrow (11/29) will provide one of the top 10 Auds out there.  

https://archive.org/details/gd80-11-29.wise.sacks.2409.sbeok.shnf

There are so many gems.  One of the finest Good Lovin’s (Post Pig), perfect Candyman, wicked Shakedown > Franklins,.  If you’ve never heard it - it will become a go to!

• Forum MVP
13 hours ago, Tea said:

Tomorrow (11/29) will provide one of the top 10 Auds out there.  

https://archive.org/details/gd80-11-29.wise.sacks.2409.sbeok.shnf

Hmmm...I've got Bob Wagner's FOB Nak 700 recording of this show. I'll have to revisit the Wise capture.  The Beyer M160s are ribbon mics.  Dead recording with them tend to be somewhat hit or miss, but when they hit they can indeed be fantastic.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

12/12/1990

Touch Of Grey-> Greatest Story Ever Told, Candyman, Walkin' Blues, Loose Lucy, Mexicali Blues-> Maggie's Farm, Queen Jane Approximately, Deal

Set 2

China Cat Sunflower-> I Know You Rider, Looks Like Rain, Iko Iko, Dark Star-> Terrapin Station-> Drums-> Jam-> All Along The Watchtower-> Stella Blue-> Throwing Stones-> Not Fade Away, E: The Weight

https://archive.org/details/gd1990-12-12.sbd.miller.109289.flac16

Closest I ever got to Jerry - this show simply turned me inside-out!  The juice and 'IT' factor from this beauty was epicness - my hair was still on fire days later!  Despite the really tough loss of Brent, that run from Compton Terrace through McNichols was a legendary experience. 

My brother and I wish each other Happy 12/12 Day every year!

• Forum MVP

12/13/90

https://archive.org/details/gd90-12-13.sbd.unknown.4988.sbeok.shnf

One

Jack Straw-> Sugaree, Wang Dang Doodle, Friend Of The Devil, Me & My Uncle-> Big River, Ramble On Rose, Memphis Blues, Valley Road

Two

Help On The Way-> Slipknot!-> Franklin's Tower, Saint Of Circumstance, Eyes Of The World-> Drums-> Jam-> The Other One-> Morning Dew-> Box Of Rain, E: U.S. Blues

More X-Factor on this night despite the sub-zero temps outside.  Stunning midi-jam on Ramble On Rose and that second set was warp speed from the jump.  The lights were perfectly set to the opening notes of Help and off we went.  A truly remarkable Saint of Circumstance to boot.   While we didn't get the 'I guess it doesn't matter anywayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy' finish with the Dew, we were treated to an unexpected Box to close the set.

God damn that McNichols run had the goods!

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

I'm attempting to listen to today from 1993. Its rough...like really not very good. I'm guessing the ambiance helped? Or drugs? As i type am kind of enjoying Vince's piano solo on eyes. Gna skip to days between.

After a steady diet of 72-74...well...yeah.

• Forum MVP

While '93 was generally tough, December '93 is exceedingly so. 

But to your question, it was the ambience.  The Grateful Dead were on stage. Anything seemed possible.  (And as of Dec '93 I generally believed that, although that belief would erode rapidly.)

• Forum MVP

Gotta finish the category 

12/14/90

https://archive.org/details/gd1990-12-14.sbd.miller.89127.sbeok.flac16

I. Shakedown Street, Picasso Moon, El Paso, Little Red Rooster, Stagger Lee, When I Paint My Masterpiece, To Lay Me Down, Let It Grow

II. Victim Or The Crime-> Foolish Heart, Women Are Smarter, He's Gone-> Drums-> Jam-> Dark Star (v2)-> I Need A Miracle-> Wharf Rat-> Turn On Your Love Light 

E: Knockin' On Heaven's Door

smokin show.  Gets marked down by some because of the setlists of the previous night.  Take a listen to TLMD - holy Crap!  That LIG is great - Phil bombs everywhere in that tune and the one at the end nearly broke my rib-cage.

Foolish Heart is excellent and the best Women I’ve ever heard.  The jam in there is worth a listen!  Simply awesome guitar work.

As lovelight was at the frenzy finish, a girl hopped up on stage, started spinning and then fell back into the crowd!  I’m sure there’s video...

Knockin had become pretty perfunctory - not this one.  Jerry just goes next level.  As it ends, the place is goin nuts and Jerry gets off a few waves before dissolving into the darkness of the stage.

• Like (+1) 2

• Forum MVP

12/16/92 Oakland Coliseum, Oakland, CA

Stranger, Brown-Eyed, Same Thing, Loose Lucy,

Memphis, Row Jimmy, Let It Grow.

Shakedown>Samson, Ship>Playin'>D>S>

Dark Star(v2)>Watchtower>Stella>Good Lovin'.

Casey Jones.

4th of 5 in 7 days in Oakland on the comeback

trail from medical malfunction 2. The shows had

that 'gift of life' tone, but this performance stands

slightly above the rest in the run.  You can feel

the big man's heart through the whole show, which

is far from perfect, but perfect in its imperfection.

The Casey Jones encore was the only west coast

play of the 4 total plays after the breakout in 92,

the rafters were shakin' for that one.

Praise DSO.

• Like (+1) 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

12/28/87 Oakland Coliseum, Oakland, CA

Feel Like A>Franklin's, Minglewood, Row Jimmy, Far From Me,

Masterpiece, Sugaree>Hell In a Bucket

China>Rider, Cumberland, Women>D>S>Wheel, Truckin'>

Smokestack>Black Pete>Sugar Mags>Sunshine.

E: Black Muddy River.

IMO, the best show of the 87 NYE run.  These were

my first west coast shows, and this one was a mindblower.

First set inverted opener closer, the only time a saw Bucket

as a set closer, it worked well there.  The China>Rider, Cumberland

sequence off the hook and the post drums was dreamy,

including one of two Smokestack for these eyes. We were

skipping back to the Comfort Inn for partying that night, with

a day off and two more shows to go.  After the shows, me and my

friend Pete stayed at my dad's company condo at Keystone

for five days of skiing.  Some winter break, ah memories.

Praise DSO.

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

Bill won the day. Ding ding ding. I’ll ignore the fact he wasn’t The anthem energizer bunny bill tonight. I mean tiger lost to Phil in the money grab over thanksgiving so we all have off days. I’ll expect his A-game tomorrow though. Maybe it was the fact he wasn’t ready for space at the E factory and got it. Mentally preparing for a sardine factory combined with the Christmas holiday can knock down even the triathletes among us. 

I was at keystone then too in 87 over New Years but had no clue about the dead yet.Gr8tfulpair was also working at keystone. He called us gapers as our mouths were supposedly wide open watching locals like him ski.........But then again he was an employee so he was technically our bitch. ;)

• Like (+1) 3

• Forum MVP
On 12/29/2018 at 12:57 AM, Rude said:

Bill won the day. Ding ding ding. I’ll ignore the fact he wasn’t The anthem energizer bunny bill tonight. I mean tiger lost to Phil in the money grab over thanksgiving so we all have off days. I’ll expect his A-game tomorrow though. Maybe it was the fact he wasn’t ready for space at the E factory and got it. Mentally preparing for a sardine factory combined with the Christmas holiday can knock down even the triathletes among us. 

I was at keystone then too in 87 over New Years but had no clue about the dead yet.Gr8tfulpair was also working at keystone. He called us gapers as our mouths were supposedly wide open watching locals like him ski.........But then again he was an employee so he was technically our bitch. ;)

Don't discount the lack of Tea at the E-factory.

If your gonna hang with Tea at a show, you

better bring your A-game.  I know he would

not have let me clam jam my way through

Row Jimmy at the Anthem,  Of course, I was

completely outer limits for that show, and

couldn't stop myself from dancing around

like a crazed lunatic.

Praise DSO.

Edited by BillK522