Cryptical Suite >

Wharf Rat >

China Cat Sunflower >

Feelin' Groovy Jam >

I Know You Rider

Encore:

Golden Road

Dino on drums.

Some real Grateful Dead music tonight folks.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

bs69    206

Incredible! 

First set dominated by Pigpen Barraco, second set out of this world. I've seen a lot of shows with these guys over a lot of years and this was quite possibly the best

• Like (+1) 2

jj3down    123

Holy shit!!!  Next to the ‘69 show at Jubilee 2015,  this was probably the second best show I’ve seen.  Period.  

Lovelight was incredible. Many novel parts.  I think this was my first full Weather Report Suite.  Caution was amazing.  Other One - a little less psychedelic than typical old school style but still face melting.   Feelin Groovy = :D    

And to ensure we don’t forget the point of it all, a Golden Road encore.

• Like (+1) 1

jj3down    123

Oh and all Pigpen songs were played with piano, not organ.

also it should be noted that the “Cryptical suite” was Cryptical>Other One>Drums>Other One>Cryptical 

sml    36

no no, twas

Cryptical > Drums > Other One > Cryptical

and the drums was super cool

• Like (+1) 1

Tea for Texas    1,224

Great Googly Moogly!  That 2nd set looks like a rare work of art.  Just blistering ⚡️

• Like (+1) 1

Wow, what a show. Entire thing was gravy, second set especially, but wooo man that Lovelight had me screaming and praying by the end of it! 

DesertDead    74
8 hours ago, Mason's Child said:

Who is this SML guy?  He seen like all the shows this year. 

Ha, good call.  I noticed that, too.

SML:  you, Sir, are living what the people at Miller Brewing call the High Life.  

Pun intended.

• Like (+1) 1

Dr. Barry    331
9 hours ago, Mason's Child said:

He’s “lookin’” here and there. He's “lookin’” everywhere. He’s “lookin’” in the town. He’s “lookin’” in the city. He just gotta, gotta, gotta, gotta find...

jj3down    123
13 hours ago, Mason's Child said:

I’ve seen this LBB, I mean this SML guy around the scene.  No fuckin way he hit more than 50!

bs69    206

I have to add that Lisa was awesome on you ain't woman enough, there wasn't a woman there that didn't have a "damn right" look on their face

• Like (+1) 1

I've gotta add, this show really turned me on to the "Pigpen Era". I normally don't go much lower than '72, but they fuckin' had me last night. Any good recommendations of a Pigpen show of a similar ilk? 

• Like (+1) 1

DesertDead    74
9 minutes ago, DerekFromEarth said:

I've gotta add, this show really turned me on to the "Pigpen Era". I normally don't go much lower than '72, but they fuckin' had me last night. Any good recommendations of a Pigpen show of a similar ilk? 

Well there are obviously about 6-7 years of it, but some low-hanging fruit, if you will:

Dick's Picks 16 and 22 would provide some elements of the show that you saw here, as would the "Ladies and Gentlemen...The Grateful Dead" album, which is a Fillmore April 1971 compilation.

The Hard to Handle on "The Phil Zone" is one lit-up affair.  If you've never heard it, you should.  Just move the furniture and warn the wife and kids first, cause you'll be doing the boogeyloo in your living room by the end of it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, DesertDead said:

Well there are obviously about 6-7 years of it, but some low-hanging fruit, if you will:

Dick's Picks 16 and 22 would provide some elements of the show that you saw here, as would the "Ladies and Gentlemen...The Grateful Dead" album, which is a Fillmore April 1971 compilation.

The Hard to Handle on "The Phil Zone" is one lit-up affair.  If you've never heard it, you should.  Just move the furniture and warn the wife and kids first, cause you'll be doing the boogeyloo in your living room by the end of it.

Awesome, thank you! Rearranging the living room currently. 

I completely forgot about "Ladies and Gentlemen..." That's got my all time favorite St Stephen contained with! 

Edited by DerekFromEarth

jj3down    123
1 hour ago, DerekFromEarth said:

April 71 contains some amazing PigPen stuff as mentioned by DesertDead. That Ladies & G’s he speaks of has several classic PigPen parts and antics. 71 period was probably his prime however he was solid from ‘65 - ‘72 until he became too sick and he promptly stepped away. 

Some may argue 69 - 70 are Pig’s years but ‘71 is a great year all around with the development of all the material they’d take with them to Europe. Also contains super creative rants by Pig   

• Like (+1) 1

ducats    122
10 hours ago, DerekFromEarth said:

go listen to all the Avalon shows u can find good recordings of

• Like (+1) 1