So I was just about to post this on FB - a place I rarely go and I never post there.  For some reason I stopped mid-post and came here.  I do not understand why over-turning the second amendment is not a no brainer - let alone "never going to happen" like I just saw a TV pundit just utter.  Then a NYT above the fold headline "over-turn the second amend" comes across the screen. I have zero in common with the politics of the NYT - except after 59 people are gunned down I guess.  What is the problem?  Not saying you can't have some hunting rifles.  I heard some moron (sorry to anybody on here that feels otherwise...) on the radio say that you can't allow the government to have  bigger weapons than the citizenry. that it's a slippery slope. like he's sitting in his back yard on an old Russian tank thinking the us. govt gonna come through his neighborhood any minute.  then I take that thought process to the NRA. remember that joke of a commercial that NRA pres clown did, "the NRA America's safest place". yeah ok. I'll guarantee that LV whack job was a member - as well as one of the people he gunned down.       

• Forum MVP

It may not satisfy you, but the answer to your non-rhetorical question as to why guns are not controlled more and why it will be very difficult to change things in an impactful manner is because there are people who view the topic through a much different (if not diametric opposite) lens, and those people have as much say through voting as those who want serious change regarding guns.

On a lighter note, it is akin to me telling you that the sun was blue.  

Political divide is growing deeper in our country, and it has been doing so for a long time.

• Forum MVP

You’re either with me or against me.  That’s it.

i get the feeling we used to be more eclectic in our views which put more people in the middle.

Now the middle is a line in the sand.  It’s really to bad - we’ll pay for our myopia in blood.

• Forum MVP
1 hour ago, DesertDead said:

... because there are people who view the topic through a much different (if not diametric opposite) lens, and those people have as much say through voting as those who want serious change regarding guns...

That is one of the things that prevents many of the improvements we need. Another is the large amounts of money that can be spent (or donated) to influence our law makers.  

Before I retired I was able to have discussions with the labor operators at our plant. Almost all of them had ideas about gun ownership very opposite from my thoughts but we could talk about it.  Most of them were hunters of deer and other animals that they killed almost solely for sport. They had many more guns than was necessary for hunting. One of them had over fifty significant guns at home and he never hunted. I asked him why he had so many. I expected him to say that he just collected guns but he had a different explanation. He said that if people like him did not have guns that the government would take over our lives as a total dictatorship. He really believed that that he was ready to do battle with the government. This man seemed more emotionally stable than several others but this week I've realised that he probably had more fire power than the shooter in Las Vegas.  Sometimes it is scary to learn what exists outside our own personal environment.

• Forum MVP

I hear ya Doc. What happened to the time where LOVE was the the dominant force in the universe? I cling to the thought that surely the number of people who prefer to be surrounded by peace and love outnumber the people who prefer to be surrounded by violence and evil. 

((((((((((((((PEACE))))))))))))))

• Forum MVP
12 minutes ago, gr8fulpair said:

....the number of people who prefer to be surrounded by peace and love outnumber the people who prefer to be surrounded by violence and evil. 

But the evil ones tend to use forms of violence to force their power over the peaceful.

11 hours ago, DesertDead said:

It may not satisfy you, but the answer to your non-rhetorical question as to why guns are not controlled more and why it will be very difficult to change things in an impactful manner is because there are people who view the topic through a much different (if not diametric opposite) lens, and those people have as much say through voting as those who want serious change regarding guns.

On a lighter note, it is akin to me telling you that the sun was blue.  

Political divide is growing deeper in our country, and it has been doing so for a long time.

see that's why I posted. IT IS NOT AKIN TO YOU TELLING ME THE SUN IS/WAS BLUE.  

• Forum MVP

You are really over thinking this. As the philosopher Einstein pointed out the correct answer to these weighty questions are:

It depends on your frame of reference but BOTH sides can be correct.

Laws of physics usurp laws of men and that can and does get annoying.

Gun control is one of the biggest jokes and misrepresented issues in this country.  The position the NRA and it's supporters takes is completely absurd and lacks any common sense or moral decency.  Likewise, people who want to ban guns all-together are equally short sighted and insensible.  Maybe more so.  I mean really?  Think about what you're suggesting on a very deep level - and think like a revolutionary.   (What's really funny is all the gun manufactures are most likely democratic voters... every time a Democrat is elected, gun manufactures break the sales record set the last time a Democrat was elected.  Because people rush out to buy guns fearing this new elected official is going to "take them."  If my last name was Smith or Wesson and I was going break my own sales records, again, I'd likely punch that Dem ticket too.)

The hypocrisies among these two media-manufactured political parties that get marketed to all of us like pro sports teams is so glaring and funny....  liberal types generally don't trust or accept the government or status quo, however they're perfectly comfortable with turning over all our weapons to the government.  That's smart!!!!  Conservative types seem to trust the government and the status quo way too much, yet claim that we are in constant need of protection and are adamantly adhered to the absurd idea that it's somehow our right as Americans to own and detonate a nuclear weapon if we so choose.  

The lack of common sense with this issue is alarming.  If the founding fathers knew what the weaponry we have now could do, the 2nd Amendment would not have been so ambiguous and vague.  Anyone who believes otherwise is simply dumb.  Many conservatives love to say, "They just have to stop giving guns to crazy people."  But when you ask these same people if then they're willing to submit to psychological testing every 6 months to maintain a weapons permit, they cry it's a violation of their rights.

"They're going to take your guns!" has been the rallying cry for conservative candidates for decades now.  But nobody's guns get taken away.  You'd think conservative voters would have caught on to this by now.  But they're duped every 2-4 years by the same lie.  It's fascinating.

Mark my words.... "They're going to take your weed!" is going to become the Democrat rallying cry in a few years.  Like the guns, no one really is looking to take your weed.  It's become too big of an industry to snuff out without major economic repercussions.  But soon every 4 years, that propaganda will be thrown at you.

• Forum MVP

I often wonder what it is about the USA that makes us such the EXTREME outlier in terms of homicide by gun.

The stats are off the chart compared to any other developed country in the world. It's also true that every other developed country in the world has much stricter rules and regulations on guns......is this the primary reason that they are spared the carnage that we display year after year?

Thoughts?

• Forum MVP
3 hours ago, ducats said:

see that's why I posted. IT IS NOT AKIN TO YOU TELLING ME THE SUN IS/WAS BLUE.  

Please don't shout at me.  

I didn't shoot anyone.  Hell, I don't even own a gun. 

In case it was lost on you, I replied thinking I could participate in a conversation about your topic.  I understand that you are upset, but in all fairness I qualified my reply to begin with, as well as the part that you've extracted.  

The part about "on a lighter note" was supposed to prompt us to share an e-chuckle, which I think is sometimes helpful when faced when something that is a bit intense and we can't control, as frustrations tend to mount.

Which appears to be the case here.

So I'll take one more stab and expand upon that statement in that I meant that other people simply see the world differently and in a way that is foreign to you/others/us.  Others have said the same here and they're right.  That is the answer to "how come everyone is not outraged and wanting change?"

I warned you that that it may not satisfy you.  Don't shoot the messenger.

Pun intended.

I hope you have a good day, man.  Peace.

I'm a gun owner and a left leaning libertarian, so I take the Bill of Rights seriously and literally. In 1789, With the hangover of the American Revolution in recent memory, the Second Amendment was written to protect our right to keep arms because the British confiscated muskets from the colonists(mostly post Boston Tea Party). Muskets were how most citizens fed themselves and their families. 

Ok, now with that said, let's fast forward to more recent times. After Sandy Hook I became disgusted with the political climate in our country. Now, understand I am a strong supporter of all the amendments, but if a psychopath can walk into a school and execute 20 first graders...SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE AND OUR CONGRESS DID NOTHING 😡 Now I don't pretend to be smart enough to be able to suggest a solution, but Nothing is certainly not the answer. I could go into a long explanation as to why congress failed to act. I'll save that for another day. 

I will never vote for a republican or democrat ever again! We need a third party.

• Forum MVP

Remember.   Arms are for the people to kill a government which no longer governs for the people but over the people.  

A reason why i choose to serve in a state militia than in the federal reserves.  

Granted, i was bummed i only got 40 rounds to fire in basic, but i did join air national gaurd.

Keep your guns.....there maybe more clintons in the future.  

• Forum MVP

And for anyone who wants to challenge my statement, please allow me fill in some blanks for a curious mind.

1.  The founders intended fire arms so the people could remain in control of their government.  

2.  Anyone who thinks communities could not only withstand, but actually beat local police, fbi, atf, or national gaurd (as its forbidden as of now for aggressive military operstions against citizena in our national boarders) if the first point actually came to play.   Look at Vietnam!!  Who won?  

3.  If government tried to initiate military actions in a domestic setting, than people would rise fast quick and swift.   (Look what they do when a black theif was shot dead for breaking the law and threating a police officer).   Civillian voice would unite. 

4.  Guns are heritage.   A county in georgia has a gun ownership law.  You must own a fire arm.  Look at crime rates in that town.  

5.  Assult weapons, how else you going to get rid of 50 senators, 435 House reps in a hurry?

6.  Many people have died sensless deaths.  They are casualties for our freedom of a country more free than most if not all.  Our country was born out of the strifes of war and revelotuion.  Not a castro or chae revelotuion, but a experiment that gave the individual the right to think for themselves.  A country revered, thanked, but at times belittled because we are so well armed.  But looked upon as a world leader for freedom.  Go ahead and argue that.  See our immigration requests?

7.  For those of you willing to give up your rights to protect yourselfs from others who may impede on your chance for life, liberty and happiness; because you are to laxidasical in the control of your own destiny, should not own fire arms.  Your not responsiable enough.  You prefer to  give up your rights to a large out of touch bureaucracy?  Than again you have the free right to exercise that for yourself.  Dont speak for me, and dont hamper my ability to protect my kids, or my 16 penny gas powered nail gun will be transformed into a automatic steel projectile device, and a little diesel and some fertilizer will be used to defend rights bestowed upon us for reasons no one even mentioned to outline here. Self governance.  

Gun control for our democratic repiublic is a deep philosphical issue, and is mared by quick fix junkie media and politicians who want to impassion you for their benefit.  

Greatful dead would of never been with out guns.  Remeber that.   The 60's would of been what?   

Gun control....not in my lifetime, its as much part of the american experience as turning 16 and getting your license.

Accidents happen.  We learn from them and improve.  

How many people die a year from gun violence?  How many from cigarettes, how many people die from car wrecks.  How many from drug use?

If u look....we all should get rid of the automobile.   If u looked up the numbers, logically, it should be your conclusion if your arguing for loss of innocent  life.

I think the country needs to look at itself and the mental health of its citizens, the lack of civic virtue, the acknowledgment of our history, and how we came to be where we are at now. 

Tragedy will always happen, but your willingness to give up the rights and protection i have against a natural contolling enitity...government, because you feel a certain way is uninformed and a simple want compared to a much bigger and dire need.  

Selfish, mis informed, and in my parts fighting words.  I dont hunt.  I hate panic, and i love animals, but i would hunt anything down that tried to take away the 10 basic tenants of this grand experiment we call the United States of America.  

I also salute my flag, and would frap my kid if he ever took a knee to our national anthem.  His family faught so others could take a knee, but if the time came to disarm and take our freedoms, we would not be kneeling.  I assure you, we would not be nealing.

That being said....i would prefer to make love, not war.   

The Bill of Rights is paramount to this countries continued success.  I urge some to research why, and to reseaech both sides of why and why  they are still as relevant now as they were during the Contenantal Congress.

Lastly, forgive me if my words caused any personal offense.  I have lost people close to me due to firearms, projectiles.  I understand loss....but the first 10, we can never loose, or we the people have lost, and we would be to blame. 

• Forum MVP
3 hours ago, GoingBackTo Where.... said:

Remember.   Arms are for the people to kill a government which no longer governs for the people but over the people.  

A reason why i choose to serve in a state militia than in the federal reserves.  

Granted, i was bummed i only got 40 rounds to fire in basic, but i did join air national gaurd.

Keep your guns.....there maybe more clintons in the future.  

Q.E.D.   

• Forum MVP
3 hours ago, GoingBackTo Where.... said:

And for anyone who wants to challenge my statement, please allow me fill in some blanks for a curious mind.

1.  The founders intended fire arms so the people could remain in control of their government.  

2.  Anyone who thinks communities could not only withstand, but actually beat local police, fbi, atf, or national gaurd (as its forbidden as of now for aggressive military operstions against citizena in our national boarders) if the first point actually came to play.   Look at Vietnam!!  Who won?  

3.  If government tried to initiate military actions in a domestic setting, than people would rise fast quick and swift.   (Look what they do when a black theif was shot dead for breaking the law and threating a police officer).   Civillian voice would unite. 

4.  Guns are heritage.   A county in georgia has a gun ownership law.  You must own a fire arm.  Look at crime rates in that town.  

5.  Assult weapons, how else you going to get rid of 50 senators, 435 House reps in a hurry?

6.  Many people have died sensless deaths.  They are casualties for our freedom of a country more free than most if not all.  Our country was born out of the strifes of war and revelotuion.  Not a castro or chae revelotuion, but a experiment that gave the individual the right to think for themselves.  A country revered, thanked, but at times belittled because we are so well armed.  But looked upon as a world leader for freedom.  Go ahead and argue that.  See our immigration requests?

7.  For those of you willing to give up your rights to protect yourselfs from others who may impede on your chance for life, liberty and happiness; because you are to laxidasical in the control of your own destiny, should not own fire arms.  Your not responsiable enough.  You prefer to  give up your rights to a large out of touch bureaucracy?  Than again you have the free right to exercise that for yourself.  Dont speak for me, and dont hamper my ability to protect my kids, or my 16 penny gas powered nail gun will be transformed into a automatic steel projectile device, and a little diesel and some fertilizer will be used to defend rights bestowed upon us for reasons no one even mentioned to outline here. Self governance.  

Gun control for our democratic repiublic is a deep philosphical issue, and is mared by quick fix junkie media and politicians who want to impassion you for their benefit.  

Greatful dead would of never been with out guns.  Remeber that.   The 60's would of been what?   

Gun control....not in my lifetime, its as much part of the american experience as turning 16 and getting your license.

Accidents happen.  We learn from them and improve.  

How many people die a year from gun violence?  How many from cigarettes, how many people die from car wrecks.  How many from drug use?

If u look....we all should get rid of the automobile.   If u looked up the numbers, logically, it should be your conclusion if your arguing for loss of innocent  life.

I think the country needs to look at itself and the mental health of its citizens, the lack of civic virtue, the acknowledgment of our history, and how we came to be where we are at now. 

Tragedy will always happen, but your willingness to give up the rights and protection i have against a natural contolling enitity...government, because you feel a certain way is uninformed and a simple want compared to a much bigger and dire need.  

Selfish, mis informed, and in my parts fighting words.  I dont hunt.  I hate panic, and i love animals, but i would hunt anything down that tried to take away the 10 basic tenants of this grand experiment we call the United States of America.  

I also salute my flag, and would frap my kid if he ever took a knee to our national anthem.  His family faught so others could take a knee, but if the time came to disarm and take our freedoms, we would not be kneeling.  I assure you, we would not be nealing.

That being said....i would prefer to make love, not war.   

The Bill of Rights is paramount to this countries continued success.  I urge some to research why, and to reseaech both sides of why and why  they are still as relevant now as they were during the Contenantal Congress.

Lastly, forgive me if my words caused any personal offense.  I have lost people close to me due to firearms, projectiles.  I understand loss....but the first 10, we can never loose, or we the people have lost, and we would be to blame. 

We get it.....enjoy your gun play, brother.......

• Forum MVP

I dont play with guns, just as i dont play with my hammer.  I use both as tools for a end result.

But, i dont want to ever be in a situstion that either tool would be needed, and i am unable to use those tools because of .00000 percent of the population used those tools for the wrong reason!!

There are some.bad doctors out there.  Medical malpractice is a true thing.  Because people.have died from malpractice, so we get rid of all doctors?  

The first 10 amendments to the Constitutionmake up the Bill of Rights. Written by James Madison in response to calls from several states for greater constitutional protection for individual liberties, the Bill of Rights lists specific prohibitions on governmental power. The Virginia Declaration of Rights, written by George Mason, strongly influenced Madison.

THE BILL OF RIGHTS – FULL TEXT

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Amendment II

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Amendment III

No soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law.

Amendment IV

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Amendment V

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a grand jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the militia, when in actual service in time of war or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

Amendment VI

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the state and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the assistance of counsel for his defense.

Amendment VII

In suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no fact tried by a jury, shall be otherwise reexamined in any court of the United States, than according to the rules of the common law.

Amendment VIII

Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

Amendment IX

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Amendment X

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people

The articles were numbered in order for a reason.  You can not selfgovern with out free speech, and you cant protect that speech unless you have the means to do so.  

Every male in Switzerland  is requried to hold a State issued firearm.  There are exceptions, but the majority of the male population is required to serve a minimum 2 year conscription in the Swiss military. 

Perhaps the reason the swiss are not facing the same issues the US faces, even though gun ownership is much higher in the Swiss State,  is because many in the country have served their country, and gained valuable civic experience, education,  and knowledge about firearms.  They dont have the immigration issues we have, and they are requried to give their time and dedication to national service, at some point in their life.  

It creates a cohesion, and a much more intelligent population.

We dont know why Vegas happened, but 53 people dead is horrific; however, per arguments above:

The table below is a list of motor vehicledeaths in the United States by year. According to data compiled by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), in 2016, 37,461 people were killed in 34,436 crashes, anaverage of 102 per day.

Should we not be more encouraged to outlaw motor vehicles?  

https://goo.gl/images/agtBmH

Sorry, done with this rant....and anyone here who knows me, knows that i am a peacful man, but that i am still a man, and would protect others I love with my own life.  

I dont hold ill will against others who dont agree with me, as i belive your debate is just as important to my debate.  Thst is the American way!!

I agree that Americans have the right to own guns and that one of the intents of the right were to give citizens protection over an oppressive government.  But attaching that belief to any of the existing made-for-TV political parties being marketed to Americans today is comical at best.  "Gun control" as it is currently spun from both 'sides' should not influence voting.  Participating in and supporting party line politics is perpetual treason by the people.

11 hours ago, GoingBackTo Where.... said:

We would have no need for eradicating 535 frail Congressman.  If your thought is we need to keep said amount of guns in case we must over throw our military, then you are thinking about a foolish suicide mission.  Besides we already own all the military weapons technically.  The military is US!  Our mothers, fathers, sons, daughters, brothers, sisters, cousins, and friends.  I have a hard time seeing it commit genocide or enslave its own people.  Its own family.  We must ensure that the military never becomes desensitized to this fact. They must be constantly reminded that they are here to protect the citizens, not the rulers.

These cowardly mass murderers that have become so commonplace as of late, as well as terrorist organizations or groups, should not have their names spoken by the media.  AT ALL!!!  Their crimes should be reported as an event that happened and the reports should be capped at 5 minutes or something. No further analysis, no panels of experts, and no mentioning the names of these people or groups.  If these people and groups knew that when they were gone, no one would know of what they did, I guarantee these mass murders would be eliminated by at least 65%

16 minutes ago, GoingBackTo Where.... said:

Amendment II

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Absolutely fascinating how vague this is.  Back then, arms were gunpowder, ball, and rod.

• Forum MVP

We had a strong military in veitnam JJ, and in Korea.  What was the outcome?  Peiple protecting their home are much more dangerous than the invsders, and many in the millitary belive as i do.  So dont think for a second many in our military would not switch sides if actual domestic conflict arose!! 

Trust me, many military men and women fight for our constitution, not in violation of it!!  Its not a ludicrous idea that a well armed militia in the monatana mountains could not hold off a standing army.  

You would see many of thst arm in the mountains of montana, virginia, alaska, arizona, ohio...etc fighting for their rights against a federal army.   

How hard was it to take iraq?   And if our army is so good, why cant they just take out isis?  

Dont underestimste people capcity to fight for their beliefs.

1 hour ago, GoingBackTo Where.... said:

That's the point.  The military, police, fireman, coast guard, etc ARE THE PEOPLE.  And they would, or at least it's my hope they would, stand WITH the people before standing with the government.  Also comprised of people.  I believe, or want to believe, that any organized military action against the citizens of this country would end swiftly in a partial or full coup d'état. 

Maybe I have too much faith in our service men and women?

• Forum MVP

We had a strong military in veitnam JJ, and in Korea.  What was the outcome?  Peiple protecting their home are much more dangerous than the invsders, and many in the millitary belive as i do.  So dont think for a second many in our military would not switch sides if actual domestic conflict arose!! 

Trust me, many military men and women fight for our constitution, not in violation of it!!  Its not a ludicrous idea that a well armed militia in the monatana mountains could not hold off a standing army.  

You would see many of thst arm in the mountains of montana, virginia, alaska, arizona, ohio...etc fighting for their rights against a federal army.   

How hard was it to take iraq?   And if our army is so good, why cant they just take out isis?  

But to reply, power in this country is highly centered JJ.   Power brokers and 1 percenters are real, and weild a lot of power. 

Read de Toqueville.   There as aspects of his word s that we see in our country.  2 party system has polarized a completely ignorant electorate, who is memerized for only 1 minute until thr next distraction.  

I am refering to core principals and constitutional democracy,  and thr importance of fire arms for the popuace as a means of fending off centralized power.  

Why did cuba and cubans choose to live like section 8 for how many decades.  

Why did russians, Czechs, poles, slovacks have to waiting hours just to get bread and sugar for so many decades.  

What happens in north korea?  China?  

The majority of nation states in this world are ruled by what?  Do we want to be like them?  

I can continue, and we shall take this up again JJ, but debate is best in words by quick witted mouths, than my clumsy thumbs.  

Warm wishes brother!!  Thanks for making us think!!

• Advisory Board

Best thing I read on this thread is the comment on the 24 hour television news industry. Both CNN and Fox are fake news feeding the masses self serving propaganda cloaked as news to drive ratings. It’s all “breaking news” just repeated over and over by handsome/pretty smiling faces looking so concerned about the “issues”. Really only concerned about ratings. 

I long for for the days of our past (some of us remember at least) of three networks. Each with a single prime time evening news program. 30 minutes. Concise reporting of stories and a labeled editorial to close the broadcast. It was far more Real back then. 

I think there is a place for a third cable network devoted to news. Real news. Actual news. Minus the words scrolling on the bottom of the screen. Minus the intense graphics. Minus the constant sound effects accompanying the announced “breaking news” that really “broke” days ago. Minus the choreography of carefully selected panels designed to fight their partisan party lines. Probably will never happen. The public loves the party lines, the “battle”, the news as entertainment. It’s more “Newsertainment”. I can’t even watch it anymore. Sad. 

Dr. B☹️

• Forum MVP
4 hours ago, Dr. Barry said:

Best thing I read on this thread is the comment on the 24 hour television news industry. Both CNN and Fox are fake news feeding the masses self serving propaganda cloaked as news to drive ratings. It’s all “breaking news” just repeated over and over by handsome/pretty smiling faces looking so concerned about the “issues”. Really only concerned about ratings. 

I long for for the days of our past (some of us remember at least) of three networks. Each with a single prime time evening news program. 30 minutes. Concise reporting of stories and a labeled editorial to close the broadcast. It was far more Real back then. 

I think there is a place for a third cable network devoted to news. Real news. Actual news. Minus the words scrolling on the bottom of the screen. Minus the intense graphics. Minus the constant sound effects accompanying the announced “breaking news” that really “broke” days ago. Minus the choreography of carefully selected panels designed to fight their partisan party lines. Probably will never happen. The public loves the party lines, the “battle”, the news as entertainment. It’s more “Newsertainment”. I can’t even watch it anymore. Sad. 

Dr. B☹️

Tune in to Vice News Tonight (HBO 7:30pm Mon - Thurs)......served straight up

Archived