You Decide if I Was Wise

2muchfun

• Forum MVP

After seeing DSO in Cleveland and Cinnci I decided not to go on to Columbus. Considering my devotion to DSO (250+ shows since 1999)

and the relatively short distances involved this was no easy decision.

First off I knew (nearly 100% chance) I would be missing some version of a Lisa show, either elective or 70's based on the Cleveland and Cinnci and these are the GD genre that I love DSO doing the most. Also I knew I would run into even more dear dear old friends if I did the Columbus show.

In summary...It would be a killer show and adventure as almost all DSO shows are for me and based on the reviews it certainly was. Looking at the comments and set list I could accurately imagine the "scene" so to speak.

On the other hand Columbus was a 1.5 hrs in wrong direction to my next destination which was home...Evansville area.

Also another GD "cover" band was playing in Eville (lol that's what we call it) at a local bar Lamasco's  (capacity 150) that offers more "respectable"  live music in the area than any other. Now this band Hyryder, is a more regional group but does have some damn good chops. In fact they are the second best GD band I have seen in 2017....even in Eville as DSO miraculously played here this year.

When I arrived in Eville in 1982, I could find no decent music around this "great place to raise a family" town much less any Grateful Dead. So finding myself in an area with no deadheads...I attempted to make some.

To make a long story short I wound up befriending a rare local musician who had bootleg tapes! In the eighties! Naturally they were Todd Rundgren bootlegs but I seized the opportunity to really introduce him to GD with my bootlegs. Next was the psychedelic trip to Alpine Valley and the rest was history...He formed a local band called Dead Weight (GD + other jam band ie. Neil Young) and played a dive bar for several years and low and behold I could see some GD music in this town with a few other hearty souls in tie dye....finally. I could not have imagined 35 years earlier any of this! I was kinda responsible and kinda proud.

Fast forward...2017 and DSO plays Evansville. (First all GD band to play venue >250 people)

Rumpke Mtn Boys amazingly play in town at Lamasco, then Forgotten Space, then Hyryder. I missed first Hyryder show (seeing DSO) but heard good things about music. They came back a second time and was able to catch them and was pleasantly surprised. Not DSO but damned good none the less. The crowd was pretty small, but as I talked with band members (easy to do in bar) they saw potential and planned on returning...which happened last Sat, the same night as DSO in Columbus.

So in order to support this regional band, and their premise...to spread the good word, music and culture of the GD...I opted to go home and not to Columbus. Turns out I missed a monster DSO show...I knew the risk, luckily I have seen my share, at least they didn't break out Low Spark lol, but I passionately danced to good GD music for hours (highlight was the Franklins --> Slipknot --> Help in that order!!) and at 12:00 the place was packed!!

Was I wise? I am the storyteller and cannot objectively make that choice.

But was life sweeter for this? Feels like it might be all right... that's all I know

• Forum MVP

While I typically wouldn't pass up even a remote chance to see DSO, I understand your logic and give you props for your motives.  While we expect our favorite bands to share the love in our small alcoves of the country, we should also share our love with the bands that need it. Rock on and feel good 2much. 

• Forum MVP

Life is sweeter when you share it.  I think you passed on dance space to other star heads, and gave your support and friendship to others who might not needed it, but better off for having it.  

What is being human if not sharing the experience with others, rekindle older friendships.  

I dont think your choice is either or, it seems to me you passed on one for a comparable gift with the other.

I prefer solitude.  I dance like the light is shining on me, but after show, i tend to shy up.  At first, did not matter,  it was all.about the music.  Now....its a mix, and i know how the past creeps up on us all.

Your no lady with a fan, but if you are asking if your the soldier or the sailor....i think most of us are lost, while we are also wise.....my guess.....you got both in your choice, and how special is it when we get our cake and eat it too!!

You were wise brother!!

• Forum MVP

Easy to miss a killer DSO show these days.

Supporting local dead cover bands  I fully endorse.

One of mine (2008) On the Bus in DC area.

Got to know the band,  watched audiences grow.

Lucky enough to have JK join them a couple times.

Great fun on Saturday nights.

It's all good.

Praise DSO

• Forum MVP

I like to support local dead. I will see shakedown street here in Colorado next weekend. Hyryder great band. Really enjoy them

however

I would put that Columbus show in my top 20 DSO shows ever. It was a monster. The energy during the 2nd set all the old school progressions and jams they went through. The set list is like a 73 with Pig still in the fold on vocals. But some of the guitar work the jams the space the music occupied was much earlier Dead. I am going to review the show. I feel trying to share my experience will bring me joy in reliving it. 

I dont do this to rub it in. I've missed monster shows for whatever reason. I try not to think about the shows I couldn't make it. I find it important to live in the moment and enjoy your moment. So I would ask did you have fun with hyryder?  If you were enjoying your space, I'm not sure the sounds or spaces elsewhere matter much. 

This was definitely one one of those dark star pantheon shows but we all know we can't make all of them. I'm sure there are many that match or surpass the quality of Columbus. I just wasn't there to bask in its glow. 

• Forum MVP

As my beginning post indicated...easy call would be show I would want to see cause of Lisa thing. That's what' made decision even more difficult. Based on your description...which I trust... a top 10 for me (you've seen 2x me)

But with support of the majority here (many of which I also trust) 

Life still seems sweeter....cause how it feels in the end

Archived