JGB - The current iteration

Tea

• Forum MVP

I've seen post-Jerry JGB about 5 or 6 times in the last 5-6 years.  I love Melvin on that Hammond and while it was generally a good time, I felt that the band just lacked that 'umph' and Dave Herbert couldn't get over the hump.  Herbert has been wrestling the demons of addiction and made a wise choice to take a hiatus and get himself well.  He's a talented guitarist and I hope he finds peace and renewal as he defeats these issues.

So...In steps Zach Nugent to take his place.  I've heard this 'kid' before and he had pretty good chops so I've been paying close attention.  Well -  after listening to him over the last few months, I think he's got the goods!  I know people take issue with the attempts at 'fake Jerry' and decry the use of equipment to try and get close to what Jerry was up to.  Frankly, I could give a rip - I just don't care how someone gets there as long as they do it justice by doing it well!  He has a keen sense for the melodic phrasing that simply trips my trigger!  

DSO is still is the king of the heap - and it's frankly not even close.  There's a reason that very reasonable and well-adjusted people hop on jet planes to be a part of the magic that DSO creates.  If I was  given the choice to travel 8 hours to see DSO or travel an hour or 2 to see JGB, I would go with DSO before someone could even finish asking me what to choose.  That said, if you are so inclined and they are coming near your town and DSO is not an option for you, here is the JGB tour schedule along with a link to a recent show on archive. 

https://www.melvinsealsandjgb.com/tour-dates/

https://archive.org/details/jgb2017-10-14

Zach still has a way to go but I think he is an extremely bright star!  Just keep the talent coming - we can never have enough artists who embrace this music to their core.  

That's the show we missed (It was Sunday 10/15). Saw them last time at The Narrows (Bring Your Own Cooler!). Grate venue!  I see they're doing GD songs as well (at least I don't remember JGB doing Eyes). Thanks for the link Tea! Just so happens Boss Man is out today!! :headbang:

:dsorocks:

• Forum MVP

I will always have a soft spot for Melvin. The moment that this music was burned into my DNA came at a JGB show circa '96 ish? I was floating above the crowd and it seemed they were playing just for me. And Melvin was killing it on the Hammond. He leaned back and shot me a smile (probably wasn't at me but like I said in my mind I was the only one there) during the solo in Dixie and I lost my mind. After that show I started collecting tapes and later discs and the rest as they say is GD history. I have seen them 15 or so times since then and while I share Tea's sentiments regarding Dave, enjoyable just didn't often take me there, I have yet to see the new young guy. Melvin comes around with Terrapin Flyer from time to time but JGB usually doesn't come to the Midwest. However if they do I will definitely try to be in attendance. 

Also the Melvin button on my oldest's festival hat was his first of many pins that are starting to cover the hat. Bought when he was 10-11 (college now) from the "button meister" that makes the rounds on the festival circuit. 

• Forum MVP

Zach does imitate Jerry as good as anyone I've ever seen. Not saying he's the best Jerry I've seen but his sound is the closest I've seen with his equipment etc. I can't tell if he plays Jerry or feels Jerry. Mattson feels Jerry. But zach plays 80/90 Jerry band Jerry phenomenally. 

Wow jgb charging 37.50 at UC theater?  Guess they wanted to assure dance room for everyone. Barely 150 showed for them in Denver. Uc theater is massive. 

• Forum MVP

I know he feels Jerry - I’m just not sure he’s found his own ‘voice’ quite yet.  More time and experience to cook that meal just right.

Yeah - I noticed they were slated for some very big rooms.  It will indeed be a dancers paradise for many of those stops.

Psyched for Oteill and JK here at the Stinkin Lincoln next month.  My guess is that it'll be a little more snug than I want.  The good thing is that most people will defer the requisite space to a skinny burnout 'dancing' like someone who forgot to take their court-ordered meds.  So I got that goin for me......which is nice. 

• Forum MVP

Cool thread, T.  

Who in the Sam Hill would take excpetion with some guy trying to imitate Garcia on his guitar?  What is this, Communist Russia?

Fucking guy can play however he likes in the world I live in.

And lmao at "very reasonable and well-adjusted"! :)   You do know that we are among a very small percentage of people who board planes and plan vacations around seeing a band that we have already seen 100 times, yes?  

• Forum MVP
25 minutes ago, DesertDead said:

Cool thread, T.  

Who in the Sam Hill would take excpetion with some guy trying to imitate Garcia on his guitar?  What is this, Communist Russia?

And lmao at "very reasonable and well-adjusted"! :)   You do know that we are among a very small percentage of people who board planes and plan vacations around seeing a band that we have already seen 100 times, yes?  

No, you’re right - this is not Communist Russia.

slu-knife.gif?w=650

Have you ever seen the same show twice?  Me neither.  It’s 101 going on 01.  I said reasonable and well-adjusted not rational.  Rationality left us holding the bag long ago..

• Forum MVP

I think the best lineup of JGB by far was with Stu at the helm, and Tebeau on bass. Caught alot of really fun shows back then, one that stands out was at a church in Philly. Wasn't too enthralled with A- Bear, but I do like this Nugent kid. 

• Forum MVP
On 10/18/2017 at 7:21 PM, Tea for Texas said:

No, you’re right - this is not Communist Russia.

slu-knife.gif?w=650

Have you ever seen the same show twice?  Me neither.  It’s 101 going on 01.  I said reasonable and well-adjusted not rational.  Rationality left us holding the bag long ago..

Tomato, tomahto.

You like splitting hairs with me because of the ND thing, right? ;)

You say...

• Forum MVP

Naw - not splittin hairs, just a regular old homograph.  I also don't hold it against you that ND and UofM are moving quickly in opposite directions.  Yikes!

As for JK and Stu?  I agree - those guys no-doubt have the goods in spades.  JK brought me home after a very long drought so he will always be right there for me.  I haven't seen Stu since he 'auditioned' for DSO but there is no question that he's got 'IT' also.

Here's to hoping Zach Nugent continues his ascent so we can add to the ranks!       

• Forum MVP
59 minutes ago, Tea for Texas said:

Naw - not splittin hairs, just a regular old homograph.    

Please forgive me if I act a little strange, for I know not what I do... 

• Forum MVP
On 10/23/2017 at 9:29 AM, Tea for Texas said:

Naw , just a regular old homograph. 

😆

On 10/18/2017 at 6:17 PM, Mason's Child said:

Rude did you ever see JK with dso?

I have seen JK and his band once.   It was ok. It felt like someone playing Grateful Dead Music. DSO takes me into the music. I never saw any Furthur shows because I wasnt listening to the GD then. 

Next weekend I’ll see JK with Oteil Burbridge. Super psyched to see how that plays out. 

Best and only version of JGB I've seen is DSO with Melvin at the Jubilee.  But I guess that is not JGB now is it?

Call me crazy, but I've always had a difficult time accepting any iteration of the "Jerry Garcia Band" without Jerry Garcia.

On 10/18/2017 at 6:17 PM, Mason's Child said:

Rude did you ever see JK with dso?

My first show was in 7-1-2011.  (not to speak for him, but I'm pretty sure Rude's was the same year if I recall)

I have listened to some recordings of DSO with JK.  Didn't seem nearly as powerful to me, but it's also hard to judge without experiencing it live.  One person has told me that although Jeff is probably a better guitar player than John, JK brought something to the table that made the vibe seem more like a real Grateful Dead show.  Granted I don't think this particular person ever saw the Grateful Dead, so I'm not sure how to take that.:lol:  Although I wish I would have discovered this band sooner, I'm kinda glad my only DSO guitar player has been Jeff.

• Forum MVP

JK is the man :wub: - I'm hopelessly biased though. 

Many of the best shows I've ever seen have been with Jeff blazing away.  DSO is just a better all-around band with things as they are now - so happy for that!     

Oteil and friends looks like a damn good lineup to me:

Melvin Seals

John Kadlecik

Eric Krasno

Jay Lane

Alfreda Gerald

Gonna get my turn soon too - Can't wait!

By the way JJ - That is a quality avatar!  It's givin me the spirit!

• Forum MVP
1 hour ago, Mason's Child said:

My comment was in reference to Nugent accolades on phrasing and his tone sound imitation via both playing and electronics. JK was the truest Jerry guy I've seen in those respects. I think many DSO fans would agree with me. 

I would.

Kimock is a part of the conversation, too, imho.  

Archived