JGB - The current iteration

Tea

14 hours ago, Mason's Child said:

I'd go so far to say JK joining Melvin and jgb full time would excite many of us. 

I love that idea!  I don't think it's going out on a limb.  Both of those entities are in need of "something" to make their careers more relevant again.  Sounds like the perfect match.  If the meat of their tours occur when DSO is off, could draw a lot of star heads.

15 hours ago, Mason's Child said:

...phrasing and his tone sound imitation via both playing and electronics. JK was the truest Jerry guy I've seen in those respects

Thanks for this specific observation.  It clarifies a lot.

How about vocally?  I used to hear when Jeff was still new, that JK sounded so much more like Jerry than Jeff.  Jeff is a fantastic singer in my opinion.  And I think he sounds a pretty lot l like Jerry.  Was John a better vocalist in you folks opinion?

• Forum MVP
2 hours ago, jj3down said:

I love that idea!  I don't think it's going out on a limb.  Both of those entities are in need of "something" to make their careers more relevant again.  Sounds like the perfect match.  If the meat of their tours occur when DSO is off, could draw a lot of star heads.

Of course it's not. :)

I was just playin around.  Your sarcasm meter needs new batteries. ;)

• Forum MVP
2 hours ago, jj3down said:

Thanks for this specific observation.  It clarifies a lot.

How about vocally?  I used to hear when Jeff was still new, that JK sounded so much more like Jerry than Jeff.  Jeff is a fantastic singer in my opinion.  And I think he sounds a pretty lot l like Jerry.  Was John a better vocalist in you folks opinion?

JK's vocals are what drew me in at my first DSO shows in 05,06. Go listen to some furthur sets on archive or Pre-2010 DSO and you'll agree his vocal mimicry of Jerry is incredible. Also a great guitarist, but better on the later stuff. Jeffs guitar is sooooo good the small diff in vocals is totally worth it. Jeff's vocals have improved 1000% since his first shows with DSO. I thought this last tour were his best vocals I've heard since he joined. 

1 hour ago, DesertDead said:

Of course it's not. :)

I was just playin around.  Your sarcasm meter needs new batteries. ;)

When we meet, you might think the opposite.  :lol:

Didn't read carefully enough and it just came out that way subconsciously.  I wasn't actively considering your specific comment. 

This is the first time I've heard this potentiality discussed at all though.  It's an interesting idea.

• Forum MVP

If you want to hear Liberty or Touch every couple of shows, JK's your guy. I much prefer Mattson's psychedelia. I don't even know if the band has ever performed Liberty since Jeff joined.

But yes JK would be a good fit with Melvin.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

Well first let me say that I like liberty and I would love for dso and Jeff to play it if they haven't. I cried when the boys performed liberty on July 4th soldier field dead50. I'd say the jk elective repeat that got old for me was sisters and brothers. 

Comparing singers is unfair in my opinion but I'll try. JK has a wider vocal range. His voice naturally sounds softer and sweeter. However l don't want to diminish what Jeff does for me as a vocalist. He is otherworldly story teller. I feel myself enter into the spaces of the songs when he sings. Both JK and Jeff have touched my heart very deeply. 

I'm probably in a very small group of people that have seen over 500 dark star shows.  My first 150 or so were with JK. Touched my heart very deeply but so has Jeff. I feel like new rawer energy Jeff brought better fit my psychedelic needs but I do get taken aback by JJ comment here. 

Just as I think it would be ridiculous for me to say I'm glad I never saw Jerry. I feel bad for those that in anyway feel positive about having not seen JK and Dso. Dso as they have magic now had magic then. You missed out. Nothing to be glad about here for me. I couldn't be more thankful for the foundation JK provided for Jeff to expand upon. 

Im really getting psyched for the 20th celebration. I love this band so much. They've done more for me to then I can express more than I've yet to understand. And so have all of you. I appreciate your kind words your guidance and most importantly your love and acceptance. There have been many times in my life DSO tour was the only place I felt like I was home. 

• 4 months later...
  • Forum MVP

Man. Great show. Had a really good time. Was pretty tore down and flying high so I’m sure that influenced my experience but that was best Melvin & JGB show I’ve seen  since the 90’s. Talked to new lead guy post show for a second and gave my compliments. The vogue is loud as shit. I remembered that from when DSO played there a few years back. Lotta dancers and space was available, achieved liftoff multiple times. My highlights were Expressway jam, Roadrunner, Tangled, and a nasty Shakedown to end it. Sure I’m leaving out tons of awesome. Highly recommend checking out the new lineup if they come near you. 

Also there was a sax guy. Not sure if he’s an all the time guy or if it was a sit in but he was really good and didn’t step in when it didn’t fit. 

Archived