Coolest place I've visited.

gr8fulpair

• Forum MVP

Assuming most on this board have the adventure gene, I thought a thread of cool placed we've visited would inspire one another to check out some unknown gems out there in the world. I certainly trust word of mouth from like minded folks more than a travelocity review. 

Im gonna start it off by throwing Moab, Utah out there. My wife and I have spent a lot of time in this town since the late 80's when we lived in CO for a few years. We were back there this past August and once again it filled my cup with awesomeness.  To me the coolest places are those that flaunt eco-diversity by showing me how different the world can be from what I'm used to. No doubt the southwest desert is the polar opposite of the lush southeast where I've spent the bulk of my life. Moab is a mildly granola town nestled in the bottom of red cliff canyons with a population of maybe 20-30k, I don't know. There's no better home base for exploring Canyonlands Nat Park, Arches Nat Park, and Dead Horse State Park which will give you a myriad of some of the most incredible landscape views you'll ever witness. Slickrock mountain bike trail and jeep excursions are nearby as is access to the Colorado river running thru some of the deepest canyons on its banks. Moab is in the southeast of Utah, about 6hrs from Denver airport. Good restaurants, a few breweries, handful of hotels, lots of VRBO and AirBNB's. Even tho it can get a bit touristy in the high season, you can always find a place to be alone with the grandeur of nature, which is what touches my spirit. Thinking about people doing the same thing 100yrs ago, but without the option of eating at a restaurant that night. Anyway, if you like that kind of shit check it out. Peace. 

• Forum MVP

Cool Chris! I’ve called Moab the gateway to Mars.  So damn cool out there!  I’ll remember 2 things when I go back:  1) No, you don’t have enough water. 2)  Yes, there are flash floods in some deserts.

Lake Louise near Banff + Jasper National Parks is at the top of my list.  Kayaking by moon and starlight is maybe the most beautiful thing I think I’ve ever seen.  It made me feel like I was in space - brought tears to my eyes. A great bucket-list trip!

Gotta get back there.  Shall we go.....?

Archived