JRAD....???

Mojo Hand

I'm from Philly.  I've got the itch, but Montclair wasn't in the cards this past weekend.  Penn's Peak doesn't work for me either.

A friend wants me to go with him to see JRAD next weekend.

I am very discerning about my Dead music. 

Anyone have any reviews on JRAD they would like to share?

Are they a Dead cover band......or are they DSO / Grateful Dead?  Can they get you to those special places?

I am going no matter what.  Great fiend who I love to spend time with.  Just looking to set my expectations.....cause I'm that type of guy.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

Are they a Dead cover band......or are they DSO / Grateful Dead?  Can they get you to those special places?

I haven't heard them live but from what I've heard from others they're very good.  Very drum heavy - J Russo and his big sounding drums is the codpiece of the ensemble.  I've heard it's not really comparable to DSO or D&C and is very much it's own thing.  I'd like to see them sometime too.

• Forum MVP

JRAD is a talented group.  If you like faster paces (regardless of song-choice), and numerous transitions (including some non-GD themes), it'll be right up your alley.  If you prefer that a take on a song is close to what the original artist intended, it may throw you off a bit.  I like it but don't find it quite as binge-worthy as DSO.  I think DSO shows a wider-range from top-to-bottom.

It's a good time - have fun!

• Advisory Board
1 hour ago, jj3down said:

I haven't heard them live but from what I've heard from others they're very good.  Very drum heavy - J Russo and his big sounding drums is the codpiece of the ensemble.  I've heard it's not really comparable to DSO or D&C and is very much it's own thing.  I'd like to see them sometime too.

Codpiece

• Forum MVP

I saw em this past summer at Red Rocks. While talented as shit, it's not my thing. Their style had my brain scrambled. They'd play half a song and leading up to the chorus they'd transition into another song and never do the reprise. If you're not obsessive compulsive about order and flow like I am you'll love it. 

• Forum MVP

JRAD in my ears  tends to be very driving GD music , without much spaciousness or rest.  I think of spaciousness as a hallmark of GD music as Bobby said paraphrased, it is the music we  aren't playing that is interesting, what they aren’t saying. Jerry was a master of the moment - take the latest JGB release of “The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down.”

I would say DSO are more strict constitionalists; JRAD takes liberties, some I think tend towards perversion, come to think of it, when I recall a particular JRAD Scarlet Begonias rendition.  I guess that is where the “almost” comes in. They obviously are talented; to what end is the question. 

great reviews thanks.  The idea of not playing full songs and straying too far away from the "constitution" are the kinds of things that are likely to kill a groove for me.  However, nice to see others on the site speak very highly of them.  Looking forward to it and the feedback from all is much appreciated. 

I can only say that after 16 years of thinking that transcendence through music was a thing of the past for me......I found DSO in 2011.  I am so happy I found them, and should have listened to all the people who told me to go years earlier!

All good points have been covered. I did enjoy Jrad, very talented and it was alotta fun. Both shows at the Capitol were sold out..

At the same time I like the music to be played the way The GD and DSO performs it. 

JRad is Very drum heavy and they like to take the music in their own direction and style. Nothing wrong with it, just have to be prepared for something different, but worth it 

• Forum MVP

To me Althea is a bluesy funkfest to get down to and they removed all of that in their version. Turned it into restaurant background music. Really good background music. The solo however was embarrassing. Admittedly I lack the progressive palette of youth, so feel free to love that style. I go to the 11 o'clock service cause I like singin outta the hymnal. 

• Forum MVP

I find the “teases” frustrating because I’d be disappointed to think I’m getting a certain song only to hear a few bars then drift to something else. They are all very talented musicians and if they were at a fest I was attending I’d probably go to the stage and if they came around me I’d probably even go but I agree with most of the above comments about how I like my Dead. The GD/DSO way. I’ve listened to streams or recordings only though. Don’t believe I’ve ever caught them live. 

Caught JRAD for the first time last weekend at the Fab Fox in Oakland. Going in with low expectations despite the local hype, I came away highly impressed.  I can be as critical at times as most Heads but a couple things stood out.  First off, all five of these guys are outstanding musicians (same as DSO).  Secondly, these "fast" tempo that folks talk about isn't necessarily true from my perspective.  They hit the gas pedal when appropriate and play all the way through the jams (also as needed).  However on slower tunes (Candyman, Loser), I felt they had a delicate touch and treated the music with total respect and understanding. 

I came away highly impressed and will absolutely see them again.  BTW, show was completely sold out and tix we're in high demand.  I see why now. 

JRAD is the hottest ticket out there at this time.  I caught their first show Freaks Ball and had a blast.  It started out as a novelty one off gig.  If you want to hear the GOGD, it's DSO.  If you want to hear the Dead meets Zeppelin, with a slice of funk, topped with Frippish Crimson sprinkles, it's JRAD.  Each musician is excellent.  Since 2013, the "too fast" quip is unfounded since they have learned patience and have come a long way.  I like to compare them to DSO in the way that DSO is a sniper.  Very precise, JRAD is a fucking automatic AR-15.  Don't ever miss them if they come around .  Certain bands are not really left to opinion, DSO and JRAD fall in that category.  

@newyawker

Wow. Caught them at their first show. That's awesome. I love the story of how they became a band. 

Your assessment is on point. I saw them at Red Rocks. It was beyond imagine. They took an unfamiliar catalogue of songs and flipped it on its head. 

The Morning Dew was the most delicate piece of music I've seen played. It was sprinkling, and you could hear the pitter patter on everyone's rain jackets. Crowd was absolutely silent in between notes. That moment was something else. 

Not for everyone, but they have a loyal following. Young and old. They have something special  going. 

• Forum MVP

I'm sure I'm in the minority on this, and I certainly don't want piss on anyone's parade, but I am so loyal to DSO that I won't support their direct business competition. I have had many oppurtunities to see them, and I passed.  I thought it was rag a few years ago when JRAD played New Year's in Philly, after DSO had already announced. 

To each their own, I just choose not to go. Peace.  

P.S. Albany was the best played DSO show I've ever seen. You 07 Rams Head folks could now drop it a notch.   :lala:    

23 minutes ago, August West said:

I am so loyal to DSO that I won't support their direct business competition.

Do you take the same stance on Dead & Company as well?  I've never really thought of it that way really.  I suppose I could see JRAD as more of a competing entity than D&C.  And your story of their NY show confirms that.  That was a dumb idea by them.

But I've been basically fostering the idea that the world needs as much Grateful Dead as possible right now and that we can't have too many acts spreading the love.  I enjoyed D&C very much when I saw them and don't think they're going to hurt DSO's sales that much.  

• Forum MVP

JJ that band pulled me from the depths of despair, and I can never repay that. The friends I've met through them are family to me forever. So yes I may be over the top with my feelings, but they are what they are. No I haven't seen D & C either. And they did hurt ticket sales in Peekskill for sure on Sunday. But D & C  is really a whole different ballgame than JRAD. Take care brother. 

1 hour ago, August West said:

So yes I may be over the top with my feelings, but they are what they are.

I don't think they're over-the-top at all.  All things being equal, I personally wouldn't see these other acts if DSO was playing.  But still, I feel that D&C touring regularly is far better for humanity than it not existing.

When D&C and DSO end up playing in the same area being the exception, it seems to me the crowds have grown larger at DSO shows since D&C's formation.  The music is being inoculated or re-inoculated into more psyches so more people are going and getting their fix however they can.  Does anyone agree with this observation?  Or am I just seeing what I want to see?

I've only recently come to realize how big JRAD was.  I never realized they had a following or anything like that.  Does anyone know if JRAD draws larger crowds than DSO?  I would have never guessed that.

• Forum MVP
6 hours ago, August West said:

P.S. Albany was the best played DSO show I've ever seen. You 07 Rams Head folks could now drop it a notch.   :lala:    

5/19 forever, forever 5/19...

And are you saying those AC shows were Limburger?

P.S. The Albany weekend was a new classic. On so many levels.

There should never be a shortage of GD music. JRad is def a hot ticket, most of there shows are sold out. I never thought of it like that either, them being a competitor to DSO. I guess it's fair to say. Honestly I don't think I would go outta my way to see JRad again. Unless it's at a festival or at the Capitol or Brooklyn  and I have  a itch for some live Dead music. (Which is pretty much all the time). Well  I heard good things about JRad , I checked out two nights in a row and that's that. I gave my musical opinion already but  They are certainly not binge worthy and they dont tour even close to the amount DSO does. Dark star is the reincarnation of the GD and the best live Grateful Dead music out there. 

Dead and and company is a whole other ballgame. I do enjoy them a lot as I've seen them around 8 or so times and traveled a little bit for them also. Dead and co show on Sunday night might have hurt sales at Peekskill but anyone who was at DSO got a wonderful show, at a beautiful venue, plenty of space to dance and everyone still beaming with joy from the absolute monster show at Albany.

Dead and co is Bob, Mickey and Billy. (And John, Oteil and Jeff of course ) but the 3 main guys,  They get all the respect they deserve and I'll support them as well. Just the same as I would Phil and friends.  These guys are legends, veterans, founding fathers of what we love. JRad probably shouldn't even be in the same conversations as Dead and co or DSO. 

I stated earlier JRad was fun and it had its moments and it wasn't bad by any means, just not totally sold on them. Just my opinion, not bashing them at all. 

The bottom line is, As JJ said and I do agree, the more Grateful Dead music the better.

• Forum MVP
On 11/14/2017 at 9:07 AM, gr8fulpair said:

They'd play half a song and leading up to the chorus they'd transition into another song and never do the reprise. If you're not obsessive compulsive about order and flow like I am you'll love it. 

Wow that sounds repulsive.  Since I'm fully OCD I'm with you 100%. 

I would never have seen them but armed with that info I can't second guess my disinterest. 

Hopefully things don''t completely dissolve into the dreaded medley??

7 hours ago, John A said:

Wow that sounds repulsive.  Since I'm fully OCD I'm with you 100%. 

I would never have seen them but armed with that info I can't second guess my disinterest. 

Hopefully things don''t completely dissolve into the dreaded medley??

Not repulsive at all.  The "tease" is part of their schtick.  They play with wide boundaries.  Here is an example of a shoe box score 

Costello here with tonight's #BoxScore from Fox Theater - Oakland:

Show #130
Fox Theater
Oakland, CA
2017-11-11
SOLD OUT ~ THANK YOU

Set One (8:10pm - 9:28pm)
The Eleven @ ->
Feel Like A Stranger
Jam # ->
Candyman
Greatest Story Ever Told $ >
Mississippi Half Step % -> 
Playing In The Band

Set Two (9:53pm - 11:28pm)
Man Smart, Woman Smarter >
Cats Under The Stars ^ ->
Tell Me Momma ->
Radar Love Jam & ->
Tell Me Momma Reprise * ->
China Cat Sunflower + ->
I Know You Rider >
Samson & Delilah

Enc One:
Jam ->
Vampire Blues ## ->
Touch Of Grey $$

Enc Two:
Loser ->
New Minglewood Blues

@ - Started with 11 hits a la BIODTL for 11.11, “Flipped” Version - Started on the lyrics portion & the intro jam ended the song as it transitioned into Stranger
# - With a DD Bass Solo
$ - With a Wheel Tease (TH)
% - With a TH/MB Duo Jam
^ - Jerry Garcia Band Cover, First Time Played by Almost Dead
& - An Instrumental, incomplete version of a Golden Earing Cover, First Time Played by Almost Dead
* - First Split Tell Me Momma
+ - With a Tell Me Momma Tease (SM) and a Feel Like A Stranger Tease (TH) 
@@ - With a TH / SM Duo Jam
## - With a Unknown Tease (SM)
$$ - With a Black Throated Wind Tease

Pre Show / Set Break Music: Costello’s Motown Mix on Spotify
Post Show Music: Romeo & Juliet - Dire Straits
Poster: Colortest ?Carl Kinsel?

Let me know how you scored it...

Thanks to the staff & crew at the Fox & to all of you!

Great times on the West Coast - We'll be back soon, we promise!

Archived