JRAD....???

Mojo Hand

• Forum MVP
3 hours ago, newyawker said:

Not repulsive at all.  The "tease" is part of their schtick.  They play with wide boundaries.  Here is an example of a shoe box score 

Costello here with tonight's #BoxScore from Fox Theater - Oakland:

Show #130
Fox Theater
Oakland, CA
2017-11-11
SOLD OUT ~ THANK YOU

Set One (8:10pm - 9:28pm)
The Eleven @ ->
Feel Like A Stranger
Jam # ->
Candyman
Greatest Story Ever Told $ >
Mississippi Half Step % -> 
Playing In The Band

Set Two (9:53pm - 11:28pm)
Man Smart, Woman Smarter >
Cats Under The Stars ^ ->
Tell Me Momma ->
Radar Love Jam & ->
Tell Me Momma Reprise * ->
China Cat Sunflower + ->
I Know You Rider >
Samson & Delilah

Enc One:
Jam ->
Vampire Blues ## ->
Touch Of Grey $$

Enc Two:
Loser ->
New Minglewood Blues

@ - Started with 11 hits a la BIODTL for 11.11, “Flipped” Version - Started on the lyrics portion & the intro jam ended the song as it transitioned into Stranger
# - With a DD Bass Solo
$ - With a Wheel Tease (TH)
% - With a TH/MB Duo Jam
^ - Jerry Garcia Band Cover, First Time Played by Almost Dead
& - An Instrumental, incomplete version of a Golden Earing Cover, First Time Played by Almost Dead
* - First Split Tell Me Momma
+ - With a Tell Me Momma Tease (SM) and a Feel Like A Stranger Tease (TH) 
@@ - With a TH / SM Duo Jam
## - With a Unknown Tease (SM)
$$ - With a Black Throated Wind Tease

Pre Show / Set Break Music: Costello’s Motown Mix on Spotify
Post Show Music: Romeo & Juliet - Dire Straits
Poster: Colortest ?Carl Kinsel?

Let me know how you scored it...

Thanks to the staff & crew at the Fox & to all of you!

Great times on the West Coast - We'll be back soon, we promise!

A lot goin on there - lol!

DSO still trips my trigger the best and it's not that close.   Although I'm a self-proclaimed DSO fluffer, I wouldn’t pass on JRAD if I had a shot.  I just wouldn't be inclined to try as hard - it's DSO everyday if I had to choose.

It’s a tough ticket - people are falling all over themselves to get one.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Tea for Texas said:

A lot goin on there - lol!

DSO still trips my trigger the best and it's not that close.   Although I'm a self-proclaimed DSO fluffer, I wouldn’t pass on JRAD if I had a shot.  I just wouldn't be inclined to try as hard - it's DSO everyday if I had to choose.

It’s a tough ticket - people are falling all over themselves to get one.

Oh I'm not comparing in the sense of who is better.  Just explaining their tease strategy.  Their box score is always a hoot to read.  And they have just exploded on the scene and are the hardest ticket to get.  They never play where I live and I've always traveled a bunch of miles to see them at the Cap or Brooklyn Bowl.  They will be playing Syracuse and Albany back to back in March and I will go to both no matter who is around.  Why? Because you're guaranteed a great party.  The fan base is rabid!! I can't think of any other band who plays the music that has generated so much interest and a big following so quickly.  I prefer DSO becausr I want to hear the music played as close to the original as possible.  Yet I won't ever miss JRAD if close enough.  

• 2 weeks later...

Well....I attended the JRAD show.  As I had hoped, a fun night with a great friend. 

I figured I would put a bow on this thread.  For those of you who have not seen JRAD, this may inform you further on whether you want to make the effort or not.  In general, they are not my cup of tea and I do not see myself going again.  Here are some observations.

1) They are playing Grateful Dead songs, but not Grateful Dead music.  They are playing JRAD music, which is very different stylistically from the Grateful Dead.

2) A+ for creativity and providing an original take on GD songs.  If that is your thing, then you will like this band.  They stick to the structure in the verse/chorus......and then it's all JRAD from there. 

3) There is definitely a buzz.  Sold Out and people really love what they are doing.

4) One of my pet peeves within the Jam Band scene that came about in the early to mid-nineties (Phish, Blues Traveler, MOE, Widespread Panic, String Cheese Incident, God Street Wine, etc...) is the abundance of what I called pointless jamming.  Just because you can jam for 10 minutes in a song, does not make it interesting to the discerning listener, and especially the dancer.  Therein lies one of the major differences between the Grateful Dead and Jam Bands.  The Grateful Dead "jams" have texture, variability, interesting and unexpected crescendos.........and MOST IMPROTANTLY, Grateful Dead jams contain melody.  I use the bands above as examples of the "jam bands" and not necessarily a statement of their ability to "jam" in an interesting way.  That is purely in the eye of the listener.  In my opinion, JRAD has a lot of pointless jamming.  Long extended jams that were repetitive, non-melodic, and not very interesting or danceable.

4) Lots of shredding from one of the lead guitar players.  This is an example of what I mean by playing "grateful dead songs, but not grateful dead" music.  When they get outside of the song structure, they are a very different band than the GD.  In the same way I felt Chan's "shredding" detracted from what Blues Traveler could do........so it is with JRAD.

5) Starting at the pre-show bar, and continuing through the end of the night........there was nothing but male energy happening.  This is a Grateful Dead cover band with a couple extra Y chromosomes.  All male energy inside.  Lots of head bobbing. 

6) Very little dancing.  In the same way this is not GD music, this is not a GD dance scene.  The jams were not at all danceable for me.  That being said....when they were playing it straight, they could find an excellent dance groove.  Their groove in Dancin In the Streets was excellent. 

7) Very predictable crescendos in all of their jams.  Start playing at a regular pace and then speed it up really fast, into a sudden and intense stop.  To me, that is lowest common denominator "jamming".

8) Surprisingly, the one ballad they played was the best song of the night.  The lead guitarist was awesome on Black Peter.  It was amazing.

9) Keyboardist is excellent. 

The setlist was as follows;

Gonesville

Cats down under the stars

Throwing stones

must have been the roses

Box of rain

Saint of Cirsumstance 

Dancin

UJB

King Solomon

Black Peter

Other One

Rider

Touch of gray

• Forum MVP

I have a 4 show JRAD February run that goes through my town. Already bought all 4 tix. Nashville St. Louis Chicago Madison. How can that not be a blast!! I couldn’t make dark star west coast so decided on this.  

• Forum MVP

I like my music to have a setlist.  A box score, I'm not so sure.

Box scores can make such little sense.  Take for example a runner on second and less than 2 outs.  Guy comes to bat, bunts him over, and you have a sacrifice. But let's say guy comes to bat, jacks one to the warning track, and the runner on second tags up and goes to third. Same end result, in far more impressive fashion, and you have an 0-1.  Stupid box score.

• Forum MVP

Rude speaks directly to the competitiveness of the dead bands. I respect Stout for his stance on the competition. Dso is my band. I do all Dead music locally but will only travel for dso except on rare occasions. 

JRAD and dead and co have more than once had a direct impact on ticket sales for dso amongst my friends. 

• Forum MVP

I see dso still whenever I can. But if I have a 4 show run where I can sleep st home after show 1, I’m in. Dso in Cali. I couldn’t work it out. Seeing 4 JRAD in 4 days will be a big test as to whether I can stomach them that much plus super crowded venues. I’m also planning on seeing Hyryder 12/30-31 in Indy as it’s a short drive. Im opening up tour pages to find more shows. Coast to coast with DSO isn’t economically feasible to do the amount of shows i need. Need to add music close. 

Dso is still my fav but deadco was lots of fun. No way u go to deadco and say it’s not fun. It’s all Grateful Dead whether spot on period correct or jazzy jam based or super slow tempo Dead. Guessing u can figure which is which. One of my fav times ever was Folsom field. Epic. And I’ve never had to choose Dso or another. I’ll do like 35 DSO shows this year. I’m not a traitor or anything.  I can’t do what I did this year again. 2 Colorado Trips. West coast 2 weeks. Last years New Years run, jazz fest. 8 roundtrip flights counting the gf. Holy shit I had a year though. $20k years arent sustainable though. Need more local(8 hour drive or less) shows. This was my carefree year where I said screw the cost. Say yes to everything. I’d like to cut that figure in half this year and see as many shows.  That being said I’m hopping on a flight Friday morning to Norfolk then dc DSO shows.  Oh and I tried to buy my $32 red rocks tix but they don’t go on sale yet. 

Fyi everyone should buy early bird tix for redrocks. Cheaper and gives them early ticket sales. I’m sure filling redrocks is stressful for the band so buy early ;)  

• Forum MVP

After re-reading this thread I’m starting to stress about booking a 4 show run. I mean it has to be fun right. How can it not be. You can always elevate your game where any band sounds brilliant if it gets to that point. Go big and the worst cover band may blow your mind :P  

• Forum MVP

Just loosen and lose your expectations. You can’t go wrong then. 

My four day run run for NYE is coming up very soon! Oh the places we will go - with names like Wellmont and the Electric Factory,  how can we lose.

heading to Dead and Co now... hope it isn’t noxiously smoky

22 hours ago, Rude said:

46 minutes ago, Rude said:

After re-reading this thread I’m starting to stress about booking a 4 show run. I mean it has to be fun right. How can it not be. You can always elevate your game where any band sounds brilliant if it gets to that point. Go big and the worst cover band may blow your mind :P  

Good Luck Rude.  If you are the type of person who can willfully elevate your game, then you will succeed in having a good time. 

I am not.  I spent a lot of time waiting for jams to end because there wasn't too much there.

I have read many of your posts.  I know dancing, dance energy, and dance space are important to you.  On this particular night, there was none of that at JRAD.  No dancers at all except a handful of people out by the concessions. This particular venue did not oversell and there was plenty of space to dance.  I just didn't see many using it.  Nor was I inclined to use it because much of the music was not danceable.  A packed house of head bobbers, who were all perfectly thrilled with the band.

As stated before, this was the Grateful Dead with a couple of extra Y chromosomes.  No female energy at all.

I don't mean to offend anyone with this statement.  I am really only using it because I know it will be understood.  I kept thinking that JRAD is Grateful Dead music for frat guys. 

I gathered by your post that you have not seen them before.  If I am correct, I think a 4 night stand is a little risky.

FYI - my friend and I got our tickets from Stubhub because the venue was sold out.  If any of the venues where you are heading are sold out, you will not have any problem selling them.  I think you are correct to stress it, and you may want to hedge your bet here and sell a couple tickets.

As a side note.....the same person who coerced me to see DSO some years ago is the same person who got me to go to JRAD.  He has great taste in music. So......take what I say with a grain of salt.  Maybe it's just me.  Either way, I had a great night with one of my favorite people.

• Forum MVP

Was your JRAD in New York?  That’s all dudes for DSO too with no dancing. 

And the the fact that you didn’t have a good time at improvised live music makes me wonder. I’ve never ever disliked any live jam band I’ve seen. I’ve especially never disliked a dead band. 

But at the end you say you had a great night. U confuse me. I’m doimg 4 shows vs sitting at home. I know I made the right and only choice 

• Advisory Board
47 minutes ago, BillK522 said:

That's a sick year Rude

Whatever JRAD doesn't provide you,

I'm sure your veteran ears will be able

to fill in any blanks from within.

See you Saturday at the Anthem.

Praise DSO

Can we move the set break praise gathering to the front of the soundboard?

And how will the faithful know you BillK522? Any distinguishing features? Cleric’s robe? Pitchfork? 

Dr. B😎

• Forum MVP

A nod to Bill Monroe in GDTRFB tonight in 

Cha-lotte

so here is Monroe’s “Lonesome Road Blues” lyrics in totality

m going down this road feeling bad
I'm going down this road feeling bad
I'm going down this road feeling bad, lord, lord
And I ain't a-gonna be treated this a-way

I'm down in the jailhouse on my knees 
Down in the jailhouse on my knees 
Down in the jailhouse on my knees, lord, lord

They feed me on corn bread and beans 
They feed me on corn bread and beans 
They feed me on corn bread and beans, lord, lord

Got two dollar shoes on my feet
Got two dollar shoes on my feet
Two dollar shoes they hurt my feet, lord, lord

It takes a ten dollar shoe to fit my foot
It takes a ten dollar shoe to fit my foot
It takes a ten dollar shoe to fit my foot, Great God

I'm going where the weather fits my clothes 
I'm going where the weather fits my clothes 
I'm going where the weather fits my clothes, lord lord

• Forum MVP
15 hours ago, Dr. Barry said:

Can we move the set break praise gathering to the front of the soundboard?

And how will the faithful know you BillK522? Any distinguishing features? Cleric’s robe? Pitchfork? 

Dr. B😎

So let it be written, so let it be done.

Front of the soundboard it is.

The cleric's robe will be left at home.

I'll leave the pitchfork to you.

I usually attend praise gatherings in

a slightly soaked green tee shirt

and an orioles ball cap.

Praise DSO

On 11/27/2017 at 9:38 AM, Mojo Hand said:

4) One of my pet peeves within the Jam Band scene that came about in the early to mid-nineties (Phish, Blues Traveler, MOE, Widespread Panic, String Cheese Incident, God Street Wine, etc...) is the abundance of what I called pointless jamming.  Just because you can jam for 10 minutes in a song, does not make it interesting to the discerning listener, and especially the dancer.  Therein lies one of the major differences between the Grateful Dead and Jam Bands.  The Grateful Dead "jams" have texture, variability, interesting and unexpected crescendos.........and MOST IMPROTANTLY, Grateful Dead jams contain melody.  I use the bands above as examples of the "jam bands" and not necessarily a statement of their ability to "jam" in an interesting way.  That is purely in the eye of the listener.  In my opinion, JRAD has a lot of pointless jamming.  Long extended jams that were repetitive, non-melodic, and not very interesting or danceable.

I am with you 100% on this sentiment. The  haven't seen jrad live, but after seeing a couple videos of them performing, this was the impression I got. One of the things, to me, that is so attractive about the Grateful Dead and Dark Star Orchestra is, at their finest, that they have a knack for playing exactly what fits the song. The music is played tastefully whether it is a 4 minute BIODTL  or they are way out into the depths of Dark Star. Just not interested in that gratuitous jamming for the sake of jamming style of music. That said, I might still check them out someday. There was a guy I was talking to at the Huntington show the other night who couldn't say enough good things about them. 

• Forum MVP
12 hours ago, BillK522 said:

So let it be written, so let it be done.

Front of the soundboard it is.

The cleric's robe will be left at home.

I'll leave the pitchfork to you.

I usually attend praise gatherings in

a slightly soaked green tee shirt

and an orioles ball cap.

Praise DSO

From an empathetic Braves fan, I look forward to a center court hug. Sweaty hug. 

• Forum MVP
11 hours ago, gr8fulpair said:

From an empathetic Braves fan, I look forward to a center court hug. Sweaty hug. 

I’m easy to find. Tall skinny guy who dances like a crazy man and likely to be swarmed by the 20yr old cute chicks after the sgow

• Forum MVP
18 minutes ago, Rude said:

I’m easy to find. Tall skinny guy with a bald-spot who dances like a crazy man and likely to be swarmed by sweat

There - fixed that for you to ensure proper identification.  BTW - When did you change your handle to Rude?  I missed that.

Archived