JRAD....???

Mojo Hand

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

I have 2 St. Louis JRAD tix for next Friday 2/16 for face value if anyone wants them. Shows sold out and tix are selling well above face on stubhub. 

We changed plans and bands for that night lol. Now get to boogie with friends to a different dead band. Unfortunately west coast Dso didn’t work out for winter tour but that Ojai summer early announce is giving me a premature boner thinking of an epic summer of 10 days of Dso then a few deadco to kill time until redrocks. Counting the days until west coast winter is over for the announce. I’ve never been to the west coast in summer in my life. I’m going to dress so slutty. Think Bobby shorts but shorter and a cutoff tee that barely covers my nips. Then some tall tube socks and some chucks. To blend in even more I’ll prob highlight my hair and wear flowers behind my ear. The kardashians will be all over me. They like guys who are poor so they can buy them Lamborghini’s to control them. I can rap decently. I don’t have prison tattoos but my pants sometimes ride low if I don’t have a belt on. Unfortunately I did go to college so that’s a deal breaker. If only I’d been arrested for attempted murder at 15 and spent my youth in jail, I’d have a shot...beat that thread drift. 

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 6:11 PM, smoseywales said:

JRAD is outstanding--but different. They killed it at Lockn this year, with Bob Weir joining them onstage.  Don't miss them. But don't expect them to be a cover band, even of a cover band (as was GD BTW!).

saying the fat man was part of a cover band is clueless

• Forum MVP

I’m doing Nashville JRAD then Chicago hyryder Chicago JRAD then Madison JRAD. Easy little road trip. 1 night at home and 2 nights with friends then a solo show with the woman in the frigid north. Going to the middle of Wisconsin in the winter seems treacherous and of course very brave as that’s the adjective most people use when describing me, but like many here we look death straight in the eye and say “not today death, not today”. 

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Island Bro said:

So it sounds to me like it's worth hitting when they come around but not something to travel much for...like its a fairly hot local dead cover band or something...

Thanks for the report, Rudy

That’s exactly what they are...fairly hot.. and by travel I went 30 mins to see and that’s all I would do..its has its small moments of wow and more moments of what the hell was that... Very talented musicians but not the way most of us would want to hear our Dead music played and not worthy of extensive travel. IMO

• Forum MVP

I take back every bad thing I’ve said about these guys. No bad accoustics in Chicago and Madison. It takes a little bit to get on the right wavelength but Chicago>Madison was pretty epic. My ears are nearly deaf. They turn it up all the way. It’s so loud I thought my head may explode. I’m having ear ringing issues still. It was as loud as I’ve ever heard music. If they come close to you, go!  Once u accept that it’s not going to be what you are used to, it becomes a unique time. Took me almost a whole show to accept the style. It’s not “jazzier” dead like I’ve heard it described. That may have been their early days. It’s louder, harder dead. I’ll def be seeing several shows a year....unless I go deaf. The gf loved the volume level. It was so loud and fast during crescendos my brain went into sensory overload. 

The big difference is you don’t know what’s coming. Most here could conduct a dead show. You know when the bass drop is going to come. You know when they are coming Back into a song. We know dead in our soul. This isn’t as much of a dance fest even though people are getting down as big as you can with the space. It’s more gawking type dancing. It’s more “I didn’t kmow music could get this explosive” and “what’s my plan if my eyes pop out. I can’t yell because no one would hear me”. 

The biggest negative is with them playing 30-40 shows a year only, the venues are oppressively packed. Dso is more of a dance party. This is more of an extreme face melt. We just went up in the packed middle and endured minimal space but I think that’s the way to see them. Get close for the sensory overload and do your small space dancing. When I see Dso I want to boogie in space. We were in a psychedelic giga factory last weekend. See all your Dso shows but go see a few JRAD in a row and don’t go in like me trying to argue with everyone about proper dead. The earlier you can accept you are just along for the ride and lose all expectations, the quicker you will be able to appreciate another take on our favorite music. After seeing them I realized no one should be comparing bands. Deadco Dso and JRAD all have completely different styles.  Comparing and arguing is futile. Just put yourself in the best headspace to enjoy each when you are there and it’s all butter :)

I'm not partisan about Grateful Dead music. I like the variety. JRAD has strengths and weaknesses, just like most bands. It's rock and roll, not meant to be taken too seriously. 

Postives: varied catalog, unexpected songs, transitions, teases

Negatives: I hate the vocals, often too many notes where I want fewer, for some reason  it annoys me that its hip to like them 

Archived