12/01/17 The Norva, Norfolk, VA

Rude

• Forum MVP
GD Setlist

Set One: Good Morning Little School Girl ; Down' That Rag ; Big Boy Pete ; Dupree's Diamond Blues ; Mountains Of The Moon > Saint Stephen > The Eleven > Viola Lee Blues 

Set Two: Turn On Your Lovelight ; Cryptical Envelopment > The Other One > Cryptical Envelopment > It Hurts Me Too ; Alligator > Drums ; Alligator > Caution (Do Not Stop On Tracks) > Feedback > And We Bid You Good Night

Encore: Hard To Handle

1st set original with spices 

2nd 12/21/68 (DSO’s 1st 68 recreation)

Blown minds littered the theatre

• Like (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP

Oh wow is right.  Last night was definitely my top 5 DSO shows.  Non stop dance, kick ass aweso me dance vibe.  Even the people who did not know what was going on got on their feet and shaked it down. 

The quality of the music, and intensity matched at the 69 jubille show.

All happened in my backyard.

What a fullfilling night!!!

I got to get into the actual dance because the jams were so long and phenomenal.   Spirtual psychedelic rockin roll.

I did have to tell some to shut during mountains, but other than that, there was plenty of space to get down and groove.  

God the music was top teir.  

How jrad sells more tickets i dont get it.  Dead and co.  I dont get it.  

DSO performed flawless last night.  It was out of this world music.   Fucking took it all the way back to 68!!!!

How many 68's hsve you seen Rick:)!!!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Forum MVP

Rob B was on fire last night.  Pig was done justice, but in order to pull off what thry did last night, everyone had to be on fire, and they were.  It was slammed pack full of sound and vibrations.  

Got to share it with some of our DSO family.   Pillars who i go to when i am feeling weird and need a reality check.  Several times i needed it last night, as the dance from the music, and the vibe of the crowd, i found myself lost.  It got super psychedelic last night.   The alligator caution stuff was mind blowing.   

The vocals on doing that rag was super duper with a cherry on top.  It was amazing stuff.  The drums never stopped, they continued and poured out beats all night.  Fast and rythmic.  Even when the strings made no sense the drums kept your body moving swift and in a steady frenzy.  

The beats and bass through out cryptical---other one crypt was mind blowing at the least.  It was so tight....so fucking tight.   All of it was just high powered in your face jams with a complete command of the material.  

Un flipping believable.   Absolutley some very good early dead.  A BIG BIG THANKS TO DSO!!!

• Like (+1) 4
  • Forum MVP

Just wiping away some big cobwebs...Review to come.

Beautful devisation last nite.  2nd set was full throttle from the jump.  Super sore but now super-charged!  My cup got filled with a fire-hose

Great times with the BEST people ❤️

• Like (+1) 3
  • Forum MVP
2 hours ago, Tea for Texas said:

Just wiping away some big cobwebs...Review to come.

Beautful devisation last nite.  2nd set was full throttle from the jump.  Super sore but now super-charged!  My cup got filled with a fire-hose

Great times with the BEST people ❤️

Glad to hear you were there for this one Tea!! Sounds like you got hosed down real good!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP

To me one of the really cool things about DSO and maybe the reason they're not as mainstream a JRAD or dead co is nights like this.  There were maybe 20% of the people who got what was going on and this was def not a "crowd pleaser" kind of show, but I think  they played it cause they know many of us loyal fans are craving this early stuff, and also I bet it's fun as hell to play. This was the best of all the early music I've heard DSO do. Big boy Pete..... get the fuck outta here, that was some sweet shit!!! Oh I loved every minute of it. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Forum MVP
27 minutes ago, gr8fulpair said:

To me one of the really cool things about DSO and maybe the reason they're not as mainstream a JRAD or dead co is nights like this.  There were maybe 20% of the people who got what was going on and this was def not a "crowd pleaser" kind of show, but I think  they played it cause they know many of us loyal fans are craving this early stuff, and also I bet it's fun as hell to play. This was the best of all the early music I've heard DSO do. Big boy Pete..... get the fuck outta here, that was some sweet shit!!! Oh I loved every minute of it. 

After our great weekend I hate to disagree but I think it was more like 80% appreciated it. Prob 20% would have preferred this over a 77 but it seemed like most were getting down during it even if they had no clue what was going on.  Hell I think I asked friends 10x are we still in (insert love light, alligator, viola here). 

Those jams blew my fuckin top off. 2nd set was 1 song to me-a continuously changing jam of strangeness with a few song words tossed in every once in a while between fast dancy strange jams. 

• Forum MVP
4 hours ago, Rude said:

After our great weekend I hate to disagree but I think it was more like 80% appreciated it. Prob 20% would have preferred this over a 77 but it seemed like most were getting down during it even if they had no clue what was going on.  Hell I think I asked friends 10x are we still in (insert love light, alligator, viola here). 

Those jams blew my fuckin top off. 2nd set was 1 song to me-a continuously changing jam of strangeness with a few song words tossed in every once in a while between fast dancy strange jams. 

I didn't say only 20% appreciated it, only 20% got the significance of what was happening. And that was a guess with a delta of +/- 7%. Me and sunny some of the only ones dancing upstairs tho. Suited me fine. Fewer obstacles. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP

What a mind*uck that show was!  Holy Crap! 

A few weeks earlier I read a Jambase interview with Barraco and there was some strong indication that a 1968 show was in the works.    https://www.jambase.com/article/bringing-dead-life-rob-barraco-dark-star-orchestra-california-kind

Boy was I lucky that they chose the Norva as their launchpad.  The Norva did allow for enough room for big dance for the 1st set – I was pleasantly surprised. 

When Schoolgirl opened, I was pretty sure it was going to be old-school if nothing else.  The crowd around us wasn’t quite as pumped as we were but it would’ve been hard for most anyone to be.  Nice-n-Raunchy.  The Rag really got things movin – one of my favorites.  The changes in tempo from a frolicking ditty to an accelerating jam-vehicle was just the contrast I needed!  It was on people!

Big Boy Pete was the clincher that it could indeed be a ’68 show and Eaton seemed to have a ball with it!  It was really good fun even if it wasn’t as long as I was hoping for.  Duprees with the acoustic is always great!  Jeff’s vocals just keep getting better and better!  Mountains was next and was one of the highlights of the set.  It had an almost harpsichord sound to it and maybe slowed down just a touch.  That tempo helped allow Jeff to enunciate every single word!  It really was captivating and just dripping with psychedelia!  Yum.

The St. Stephen > Eleven > Viola Lee was….was…..was….just twisted I guess.  Very, Very rich and just so tight it was ridiculous.  As the eleven got rolling, I started dancing maybe a bit too fast – I think because it was matching my rolling laughter that just kept going and going.  That turned out to be the perfect pace for Viola Lee.  This tune had it all!  A funky brightness, then a groovy gallop, and then it just turned flat out serious.  I tried to keep up – I really did.  That mother just mowed me over and kept right on going.  Just Wow.

The floor was filling up for the 2nd set so we retreated to the 2nd floor so we could keep big chunks of real estate.

There’s no way for me to detail the 2nd set song-by-song.  Other than a bluesy respite and great harp from Lisa on Hurts Me Too, that 2nd set felt like a single song just weaving in and out of itself.  Was it Alligator, Lovelight again, wait – Other One?  I was blissfully lost through the whole thing.  That Alligator had to be 30 minutes plus – maybe more.  While the vibe at Jubilee for the ’69 show was clearly better, this was the best old school DSO I have ever heard!   

The Hard to Handle to round things out was raunchy, groovy, dizzy, slippery, shiny, and crazy!  What a finish!  

The cherry on this mystical sundae was the outstanding people I got to share this with!  There were some missing folks that simply couldn’t be replaced but I continue to hope that the planets align for another spin.  Rude, Gr8fulpair, GBTW, Dr. Barry – you make it what it is for me.  Love You.   

• Like (+1) 6