LIL SMOKIES

HOLLY BOWLING

DINO ENGLISH QUINTET

Feat James Poole

TALKING DREADS

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Melvin and DSO playing again.  That was a lot of fun last time.  Holly Bowling is a cool and interesting choice.  Talking Dreads should be fun.  Wish I liked bluegrass more, but it just doesn't do it for me.  Yonder Mountain has somewhat held my attention in the past so hopefully the Infamous  Stringdusters will too.

My Jubilee dream performer is Stanley Clarke.  I'm not sure why my mind assures me every year that there's a chance that this wish could come true.  Stanley Clarke and his band would rip the Jube a new one!  He probably asks a lot.  I guess I am just a silly rabbit for even thinking it.

Then there's Los Lobos.   Yawn :sleep: .  It seems to me that Los Lobos is only recognized because the Dead played La Bamba and had them open a few times.  I've never met anyone who is into Los Lobos.   I've asked many heads.  I haven't found anyone issuing them higher praise than, "eh, they're okay."

(now watch a plethora of people kill me on this with claims that Los Lobos is their 2nd favorite band)

• Forum MVP

I think the Stringdusters were at an early jubilee. 1st or 2nd maybe. Was hoping Melvin would be back to give me my JGB fix. He was first dead related show I ever saw so I’ll always have a soft spot for him. Hot Tuna has become Jubilee regulars and that suits me just fine. And Holly Bowling has been popping up everywhere so I’m excited to catch her set to. Not to mention pickin until dawn with the Rumpke Mountain boys. Wonder if the Dino Quintet is the people from Owsley County or a new project altogether? 

Either way I couldn’t be more excited. Giddy up 

Thinking about trying to make this fest for the first time. Has anyone camped in the RV section or the car camping (outside the gate) section? Looking at getting a cap for my pickup over the winter and camping in the back of it, or tent camping if the cap doesn't work out. I carry so much crap for camping, I would prefer to be next to the vehicle. Unless the walk from the parking area to the camping area is short. Just trying to get a feel for the setup of the place. 

• Forum MVP

The walk is not too bad. I invested in a wagon and it’s paid off especially at the jubilees. I’ve always camped inside the venue and doubt ill ever do the lot. I like getting to see and hear every act over the weekend. Hope you can make it. 

• Forum MVP
18 minutes ago, Hardpan said:

... Has anyone camped in the RV section or the car camping 

I've always been in the car camping area. It's a bit of a walk up that hill late at night but you get used to it quickly. Every year the nearby campers have become good friends.    In past years there has been a gathering of DSO Forum friends camped in the RV area but this year, 2017, most of them were in the VIP camping area which was significantly less of a walk.  No matter where you camp it will be a good weekend.

Peace and Love,

Doc

• Forum MVP

Lots of the DSO forum folks did go the way of VIP. Thinking of it still disappoints me some. Black mountain and jubilee I've often made efforts to put us all in one place and for whatever reasons egos and habits and attitudes. We never pull it off. I think we had a great group over by the RVs this year. I would bet I camp along the RV fence again next year. Maybe we'll go VIP if that's where the group goes  I like the RV fence line. 

RV area is the perfect place.  When you buy an RV pass, you buy a 20' x 40' section of grass.  Line up 2 or 3 of those together you have mini festival within the festival!!!!!  And it's right by the entrance near the stage.

It's weird how one negative aspect can make people forget all the positive aspects of a particular situation.  Some folks complained that the negative thing about the RV area is you have to walk down the steep hill to the stage.  Actually people complain about the walk back up. But you don't have to walk up that steep hill!  It's OPTIONAL.  You can just walk the path and cut back and go out the entrance.  That trek isn't much further than walking all the way back to the VIP area if at all.  Think about it.    

The music can be heard just fine in the RV area too.  Not sure who would want to pay double to hear Los Lobos in perfect stereo anyway?

I will likely be buying a RV pass this year again and will gift out space within that lot for friends 

• Advisory Board

I used to be RV. Last year VIP. As long as the VIP group assembles again I will  be in VIP. Closer with lots of space, amenities. In my opinion RV has no advantage over VIP unless you have a big RV and need that space. 

Dr. B

• Forum MVP

Well I understand that many didn't actually pay and if they didn't pay for VIP they didn't get to bring in their car but RV allows you to camp next to your car. Major advantage for me. I'm sure we will have a few different camps spread out. This scene continues to grow with new groups emerging and old groups evloving. I'm sure we will all still hang with each other through the weekend. 

• Forum MVP

Also this walk shit is nonsense. I get it. Leave it all on the dance floor your shot after the show but wow. Short walk wherever you camp at this festival. No big work out. Get healthy or something. Next year. Let's do races up the hill after the show make it exciting. Also if you take the path it's a trippy excursion for sure. 

• Forum MVP

I loved his cooking when I came up. Would love to camp with him some day. Camp kitchen is more than just food it's the people. Vince Sue and torin are world class individuals. Not unlike Chris. I'm sure it was awesome. Our food situation wasn't too shabby. We camped with a chef. Nobody went hungry. Another world class individual. Maybe I should make clear. I don't think you can go wrong with either camp. And invite to either should be considered an honor. Both full of world class individuals that love dso and the music they play. 

• Forum MVP
17 minutes ago, BillK522 said:

Work makes it tough to get

Holiday time off, but thinking

about making a push for it

this year.

Does GL VIP ticket allow you

to camp next to your car?

Praise DSO

Yup :)

• Forum MVP
14 hours ago, Dr. Barry said:

I used to be RV. Last year VIP. As long as the VIP group assembles again I will  be in VIP. Closer with lots of space, amenities. In my opinion RV has no advantage over VIP unless you have a big RV and need that space. 

Dr. B

And a shower. 

We’ve been going since 2015 and always in VIP because of the showers and because we bring our Westvalia. This year, I’ll do pretty much the same. Until we get an outdoor shower that heats the water. 

• Forum MVP

No more camping under bridges for that gal! 😜

All in attendance will almost certainly be treated to a very tasty 15+ min version of Low Spark courtesy of California Kind (Barraco on keys). I know that would make some around here feel quite complete 😉

1 hour ago, PoetryGirl said:

This year, I’ll do pretty much the same. Until we get an outdoor shower that heats the water. 

Anyone can buy a shower for $5 a piece, regardless if you have Very Important Person access.  I've heard they're not very hot.

Silly rabbits, your camp wasn't great because of its location within the venue.  It was great because of the people you were with.  It would have been greater if you were with me.  I gauran-fucking-tee it!  :headbang:  (don't fear the cookies)

I didn't even realize it was called camp kitchen.  As MC points out, our kitchen was pretty damn comparable itself.  Possibly even the winner if not for Chris' smoked meats.:o  

Regardless of what hairs you split in determining which is "better", I'm a big believer in encouraging the family vibe and the huge gathering of friends and friends of friends.  How that can be trumped by any other factor, I don't know?  The Jubilee is the only DSO event where that is feasible to achieve and shouldn't be taken for granted.  Many people do not have the means to make it to the Very Important Person area even if they wanted to.

Next thing I know, I'm I going to find everyone posted up in the Good Lovin' Lounge.

It also should be mentioned that there's a huge gas generator pumping out 100 db of sound and powering a stadium-worthy floodlight which makes noise and shines right on the Very Important Person area all night long.  If you enjoy your camping site bright and noisy at night, you'll love it.

Also I am going to personally count the steps from the point where the path branches off to VIP vs RV to determine how much "closer" VIP is.  Bet their within a 150 steps.  And if you consider going down the hill isn't a problem for most, RV may be closer to the stage on the way there.

Archived