Diminished Chords

• Forum MVP

So..... question for those of y'all that plunk n ping around this stuff:

what Dead songs (originals) have diminished chords on the regular? We got deal n of all things though not a dead song a hunter for Jerry in love in the afternoon. Both are Adim. 

Those are in the running.... what else? 

Just letting it come round cause that's the sound 

kiss kiss

I will take a stab at it. Music Never Stopped.  The theory typed musicians on this board can offer corrections.

Copy and pasted from Rukind.com-

A                  Ao7
There's a band out on the highway,
                   (Band out on the highway)
Bo/A                  A
They're high steppin' into town
                     (They’re dancin’ into town)
A              Ao7
It's a rainbow full of sound,
              (Whoooo)
     Bo/A                     A
It's fireworks, calliopes and clowns
    (fireworks, calliopes and clowns)
          A6       Bm7-5   A/C#  D#o7   Dm/F  A/C#  D7  E
Everybody dancin'
A6             Bm7-5            A/C#              D#o7
C'mon children, C'mon children, Come on clap your hands.

• Forum MVP

For those of us like me who have no knowledge of music theory and don’t even know which side of the string to pluck……quoted from Wiki….

“…a diminished triad also known as the minor flatted fifth (m5), is a triad consisting of two minor thirds above the root— if built on C, a diminished triad would have a C, an E and a G. It resembles a minor triad with a lowered (flattened) fifth. It can be represented by the integer notation {0, 3, 6}.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/79/Diminished_triad_on_C.png/220px-Diminished_triad_on_C.png

Diminished triad on C 

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1d/Iidim6_in_C.png/220px-Iidim6_in_C.png

iio6 in C minor  first inversion Do chord.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f9/Comparison_of_diminished_triads_%280%2C3%2C6%29.png/220px-Comparison_of_diminished_triads_%280%2C3%2C6%29.png

Comparison, in cents, of diminished triad tunings

In the common practice period, the diminished triad is considered dissonant, or unstable, because the dissonant diminished fifth symmetricallydivides the octave. The lack of tonal centre or stability, possession of a leading-tone, and the dominant function give the chord drive.

And now I’m even more in the dark.   I confess that in the second grade of elementary school we had a rhythm band using sticks and such. The teacher took the triangle away from me and I’ve been hurt ever since.

Peace and Love,

Doc

• Forum MVP

Diminished chords are chords that you never use as anything other than a passing chord. On the guitar they sound very dissonant and unstable by themselves, almost unusable. But when placed between the right chords, they make great transitions. Generally speaking, diminished chords have a jazzy flavor to them, and they appear in styles that emphasize voice leading and dominant functions.

There are three types of diminished chords: Diminished triads, half diminished, and diminished 7th, which is also called a fully diminished chord.

The diminished triad is what naturally occurs on the 7th degree of the major scale. It’s 1-f3-f5. That’s a root, minor 3rd, and flat (or diminished) 5th, three minor 3rds in a row. You can also call this minorf5. In the key of G, the 7th triad is Fs-A-C. That’s Fsdim (Fs”) or Fsmf5

….I’m back to being totally confused

• Forum MVP

I'm no expert

But diminished chords are kind of 'off' sounding in the sense that they don't use the same harmonic intervals that are typical to Western music. They add tension because the notes don't vibrate together in they way we are used to. Think of China doll- think of the chord during the the line 'the bells of heaven ring'. There is a tension behind it, influenced by the Bdim chord (in between an F and Bb). 

There are certainly people around here who know much more.... I'm theoretically a moron.

Archived