First Time DSJubilee attendee questions?

pawpaw87

Hi - my wife and I will plan on attending the DSJ in 2018 for the first time and had some questions...we are bringing a small RV and are trying to decide on GA vs. VIP and the trade-offs/benefits of each.  any help is greatly appreciated.  Since there is no layout/map on DSO's site and Legend Valley does not have a site...figured some past attendees can offer up advice and help me make a decision.  My wife has a bad knee and wants to be close to RV and short waking distance to a real bathroom.

• Is VIP camping/RV far from stage to make easy trips back/forth?
  • Are VIP bathrooms/showers located near stage or are they only near VIP camp area? 
  • What amenities/setup does VIP lounge have?
  • Is GA RV that much different than VIP RV?
  • Are the lines super long to enter venue on Friday that would make VIP worth the extra $$?
  • Can you have campfire in RV area?
  • Assuming no hookups, power for RV, just an area of grass to park?

It would be nice if this info was on DSJ site.

• Forum MVP

A marked up map was posted a few days ago in another topic of this foreum.  The mark up is well done.  With the bad knee she probably will not want to walk up the hill nor up the path to the RV area up there. Sounds like the VIP area is your best bet for her. Answers to most your questions are in the recent (last couple days) comments in the related topics.

See you there...

Peace and Love,

Doc

• Forum MVP

I think most of us just pee beside the tent.  Walk up the hill aint for no bad knee!!!!  

Decent dancing though.  I recommend a knee brace like T!!!

Defintely go VIP!!  Shorter walk, flatter ride, and a shower is worth the money!! 

Just kidding about peeing by the tent.  Only do that for 1 favorite around here:)!!

It for sure is a real good time!!

• Forum MVP
10 minutes ago, Michael Doc Watson said:

A marked up map was posted a few days ago in another topic of this foreum.  The mark up is well done.  With the bad knee she probably will not want to walk up the hill nor up the path to the RV area up there. Sounds like the VIP area is your best bet for her. Answers to most your questions are in the recent (last couple days) comments in the related topics.

See you there...

Peace and Love,

Doc

rjz8zv9.png

• Advisory Board

Go VIP. Quite civilized. Best for less hiking. No hill which can suck up or down especially with a bad knee. If you like clean showers they are available there and only there as part of the VIP fee. The port a potty’s are more abundant and cleaned frequently, never quite the nasty mess like other areas. Nice people. It’s the “upper crust” of Jubilee Society. Avoid the riff raff. All you need to do is save about $10 a week extra and you too can be one of the beautiful people. 

Dr. B😎

• Forum MVP
6 hours ago, pawpaw87 said:

• VIP bathrooms/showers are located near pretty the stage and are in VIP camp area  just down the road that cuts through the drawn VIP area
  • What amenities/setup does VIP lounge have? Some cozy couches, covered area with a large deck and good view, and bottled water. Some people bring chairs and watch from there. Other VIP people dance there when it has cleared out.

• Forum MVP

I hate that hill with a passion that defies polite language. I hate it with every fiber of my being. I hate it. I have expressed my hatred in colorful language elsewhere and will not defile this thread except to emphasize the point that I hate it.

If someone has a bad knee that hill would be problematic.

• Advisory Board

Reflections on “The Hill”

Boulders at the bottom of the hill. People camping helter skelter all along the slope to weave around. Add some wet ground from the rain or even some “morning dew” for the slippery slope. 

Jubilee is is the absolute best DSO experience except for the Jam in the Sand.  Legend Valley is excellent. The hill is like a pimple on the Mona Lisa. If Legend Valley is a rose, the Hill is its thorn. 

Praise DSO. 

Hail to the Jubilee. 

Kill the Hill. 

Dr. B✌️

• Forum MVP

Last year I arrived to a full field and actually camped right in the middle of that big ol’ pimple. (Hill) found a flattish spot (still not very flat) and dragged my big ass up and down all weekend. This year I’m going to attempt to be an early bird as to not be stuck there although it wasn’t horrible.  

• Advisory Board
7 minutes ago, Teacher Matt said:

Dr Barry ... we must agree to disagree ...

Nelson Ledges DSO blows away the Jubilee ..

that is a real campground with a beach and cool clear water quarry ...

I still go to the Ledges every summer for music camping swimming firepits at night etc

I will not fail to heed the lesson of the most wise Teacher. I should have qualified my statement to say that the Jubilee is the best DSO experience currently available. 

The Ledges were the stuff of legend. It was a mix of stunning natural beauty and the lawlessness of the wild, Wild West. I imagine it was a liability attorney’s nightmare. The pre-fest ability to enter and the sound check set produced some magic moments. The Rett syndrome benefit raffle show each year was truly beautiful. 

Towards the end NLQP was getting sketchy for sure in a few ways. Legend Valley is a far more professional gig. Pros and cons. The compass always points to DSO. 

Praise Teacher Matt

Kill the Hill

Dr. B😎

• Forum MVP

I can report from the field that NLQP has made progress by leaps and bounds in regards to cleaning up  said sketchy issues that were starting to grow like poison ivy ...

I would not make a sojourn there every summer if not ...

Dr. B assessment in regards to his post above I agree with 100% ...

praise Dr. Barry

praise DSO

praise Lana Turner

go Buckeyes beat the Trojans 

pass the ketchup

and build a set of stairs on the damn hill or call in an air strike ... 

• Forum MVP

The Hill is reasonable during daylight hours if the dew or rain hasn't greased the grass of its steep slope. On day one there are not that many camp sites so it is a straight climb. Latter you have to weave between many camp sites feeling like you are walking through people's living rooms. The only value of The Hill is it being a shortcut if you have to get back to your car or RV camp site quickly.

The Winding Path provides a longer but more relaxed path to the top. Wagon loads of children and camping gear can travel The Winding Path. Large rocks provide a spot to sit and relax and meet new and old friends. It is most interesting late at night when the sights and sounds are a carnival. Reminds me of walking through the streets of Marrakesh in the late sixties.

Peace and Love,

Doc

• Forum MVP

Epic experiences had at NLQP.

Truly a fantasy camp for seeing DSO.

Jumping off the rocks

Lazy days at camp followed by

intense nights.

Saw a Viola first set closer

one year that was a mindblowing

dance in the sand.

Praise DSO.

• Forum MVP
8 minutes ago, BillK522 said:

Epic experiences had at NLQP.

Truly a fantasy camp for seeing DSO.

Jumping off the rocks

Lazy days at camp followed by

intense nights.

Saw a Viola first set closer

one year that was a mindblowing

dance in the sand.

Praise DSO.

Hands down the best venue I've seen DSO. wish I had discovered it sooner, but glad I caught the last three years there. Really epic times, and my bro and I didn't know anyone at the festival, lol. Can all y'all fuckers believe that somebody had fun without knowing you, haha. 

Ps: it WAS fun, but it's funner knowing all you lovable clowns. 

• Forum MVP

My Ledges memories include the one amazing sound check featuring Ohio and Watching the Wheels (7-3-07 I believe) and the gala show where each band member got to pick one of their favorite non-GD songs to be played. I specifically remember Lake Shore Drive and the sheer joy of Lisa leading Nothing But Flowers! That was in ‘10 I believe.

Blessed Jub memories include JM & Co bringing us The Maker and a wonderful daytime lineup playing to a small but happy crowd. That one included White Bird, which is a song I never thought I would get to dance to live. Thank you for that RB and friends!

Archived