NYE 2017 Electric Factory 12/29-12/31

No better way to end 2017 than with DSO in Philly! My wife, sis-in-law and I are hitting the first two nights and heading home for NYE.  Looking forward to seeing them with DDBB and Keller.  Any thoughts on whether DDBB and Keller will open, or are they playing the full night with DSO?  Either way, can't wait!   

If anyone is heading up early on Friday and wants to grab a beer, let me know.  I don't know anyone on this board, although I may know your face, so it would be cool to meet you all in person!

See you in Philly!

• Advisory Board

There are very few performers that I want to see play on stage with DSO. For me it dilutes what I love. I am hoping that any of the acts for the New Years run play an opening set only, but I would guess that maybe a song or two during the DSO show or as part of any filler might happen. And selfishly even just an opening act I could do without as I wonder if it could cut into DSO’s time before any curfew. 

But, that’s just my opinion. And admittedly selfish. And for what it’s worth coming from someone who has skipped almost every act at each Jubilee and Gratefulfest attended not somehow related to DSO with a member of the band as part of it. I’m just DSO to the core. 

Dr. B✌️

Dr. Barry, I am with you, I want my full two sets and then some each night!  What I am hoping for is a sit in or two since I always loved when Branford would sit in with the Dead.  Also, it is cool to listen to when Tower of Power and Etta James sat in with them and Clarence Clemmons too, I love the horns in the appropriate places.  

Anyway, here is to the openers and that they don't take from DSO's time!  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Advisory Board

I was at the New Years run when Etta James and the Tower of Power were there!

Set 3 is something I will never forget. There was a feeling that Lovelight could happen. I wasn’t at the Melkweg but of course everyone knew Bob did it recently. The audience reaction when bob stepped up to the microphone and started singing was like a dream come true. Stuff we all dreamed about and never really thought we would hear. Bob seemed so happy. Jerry seemed proud. It felt like a recognition that the mourning period for Pigpen was being lifted. It was a very big moment. 

And outside the Cosmic Charlie Campaign was in full swing. If anyone  doesn’t  know what that was read about it. Those were really fun days. We had no idea how great we had it.  So glad I was there. Conversely before I ever saw the Grateful Dead but still a young Deadhead my older cousin offered me a ticket for Radio City. I declined, being a sophomore in high school and hard to swing it etc. I didn’t see my first show until the following year. Perspective...

Dr. B 👍

• Like (+1) 1

Thanks for sharing, great memories for sure! I didn't get my first opportunity until I was a senior in high school, RFK '90.  Although late to the game, I was able to catch quite a few before the end, including the second to last in Chicago, which was bittersweet.  given all that was going down in the lots at the time.   

I will look into the Cosmic Charlie Campaign!

• Forum MVP
2 hours ago, Dr. Barry said:

I was at the New Years run when Etta James and the Tower of Power were there!

Set 3 is something I will never forget. There was a feeling that Lovelight could happen. I wasn’t at the Melkweg but of course everyone knew Bob did it recently. The audience reaction when bob stepped up to the microphone and started singing was like a dream come true. Stuff we all dreamed about and never really thought we would hear. Bob seemed so happy. Jerry seemed proud. It felt like a recognition that the mourning period for Pigpen was being lifted. It was a very big moment. 

And outside the Cosmic Charlie Campaign was in full swing. If anyone  doesn’t  know what that was read about it. Those were really fun days. We had no idea how great we had it.  So glad I was there. Conversely before I ever saw the Grateful Dead but still a young Deadhead my older cousin offered me a ticket for Radio City. I declined, being a sophomore in high school and hard to swing it etc. I didn’t see my first show until the following year. Perspective...

Dr. B 👍

Wow Dr. B!  The Lovelight dream was realized.

Cosmic Chuck on the other hand never came to fruition despite an emphatic plea from the legion of Heads.  Jerry did have designs on making it happen on 2/27/94 though:  

http://relisten.net/grateful-dead/1994/2/27/cosmic-charlie-tease

As brutal as pulling the plug was (you can actually hear the audible groan in Aud sources), my guess it would have been poorly executed - the wharf rat sure was.

Still - It's great when you can be there to witness a waypoint in Grateful Dead history!

22 hours ago, Mojo Hand said:

pretty sure Keller Williams was at the NYE run last year also.  I only saw one night and he did not share the stage with DSO at all.

Great, did DSO play a full show that night or did Keller's set cut them short?  Being greedy, I know, but I want a full two sets and encore!

4 minutes ago, btown said:

Great, did DSO play a full show that night or did Keller's set cut them short?  Being greedy, I know, but I want a full two sets and encore!

Never mind, checked the setlist and DSO did play two full sets and an encore. 

Mojo, did you feel the Keller set took away from the DSO set at all?  Just wondering, we will have fun no matter what!

They played a full show.  There are many here who know the scene much better than I.  However, I am fairly certain you have nothing to worry about.  I have seen DSO a couple times when an opening act was on the bill.  You will get a full DSO show.

Go ahead.  Be greedy.  Hell, maybe you'll get more than the two sets and encore you are looking for.  My first DSO show was about 6 years ago at the Electric Factory   They did a 3 set recreation from 1980.  Life is like a box of chocolate....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP

Hoping for no snow as I’m putting in the 10 plus hour trek to come up to philly for these. Any advice on philly would be awesome. Anything from which cheesesteak to try to electric factory security heads up to where to watch football Sunday. Also I think we are staying less than a half mile from shows. Is any part of Philly walkable or is that a dumb idea?  We are probably gonna do the Independence Hall your and liberty bell and shit Saturday. CANT FREAKIN WAIT!!!! My first DSO NYE. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP
4 hours ago, Dead duck said:

Hoping for no snow as I’m putting in the 10 plus hour trek to come up to philly for these. Any advice on philly would be awesome. Anything from which cheesesteak to try to electric factory security heads up to where to watch football Sunday. Also I think we are staying less than a half mile from shows. Is any part of Philly walkable or is that a dumb idea?  We are probably gonna do the Independence Hall your and liberty bell and shit Saturday. CANT FREAKIN WAIT!!!! My first DSO NYE. 

Awesome!! This is your 1st New Years run isn’t it?  You should probably get a $6 Uber.  Bad area and will be freezing. Ask Gr8fulpair and tea about our 6 block walk in Asheville and you won’t ever contemplate walking in the cold again. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP
4 hours ago, Rude said:

Awesome!! This is your 1st New Years run isn’t it?  You should probably get a $6 Uber.  Bad area and will be freezing. Ask Gr8fulpair and tea about our 6 block walk in Asheville and you won’t ever contemplate walking in the cold again. 

Yup. First NYE run with DSO. Very excited. It’s been hell sitting on this secret from August until yesterday. I’ve almost spilled the beans multiple times. Boys and my cousin in tow, we are leaving here 5-6 AM Friday to get there hopefully a couple hours pre show Friday. See you all in Philadelphia!!

• Like (+1) 2