Mojo Hand

Set II

hellp

slip

frank

corinna

cosmic charlie

d/s

sorry. I know this will be unpopular. Imho... at their best, this band is an equal conduit of grateful dead music as was the Grateful Dead. When they do electives....they are a cover band. Stick to GD music. Electives are not gd music. Electives suffer from the interpretation and creativity of an intermediary. No need. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike (-1) 1
  • Advisory Board

Corrina and Cosmic Charlie back to back in the same set is the essence of what an elective show is all about. The horse has been beaten to death on this subject, but give me an elective any day...

Unless it is any April 1971 recreation. Or for that matter any recreation from 1969 (or ‘68 since that cat is now out of the bag). But an elective of that era, so called “old skool” is equally appreciated. 

Actually just give me anything. 

Dr. B✌️

• Like (+1) 4
  • Forum MVP

Set One: Might As Well ; Passenger ; Dupree's Diamond Blues ; Memphis Blues ; High Time ; Tom Thumb's Blues ; Loose Lucy ; Greatest Story Ever Told ; *It Hurts Me Too ; Deal 

Set Two: Help On The Way > Slipknot > Franklin's Tower > Corrina > Cosmic Charlie > drums > space > The Wheel > Death Don't Have No Mercy > Caution > Casey Jones 

Encore: Brokedown Palace 

* sung by Lisa

• Forum MVP

Great energy in the set openers. So ready to let the good times roll! Big eighties drum sounds at end of MAW. I love the raw energy of Passenger- as raw as outside last night at 9 degrees!! Memphis Blues and Tom Thumb a little muffled, probably the sound where I was standing. High Time was devastatingly beautiful. I took a long soak in that one and then enjoyed bouncing to Loose Lucy. GSET allowed Lisa to warm up those vocals, though not evident at the time, as it was delightful in and of itself. Per usual, Lisa slayed . Hurts Me Too stayed with me- the harmonica and Jeff’s guitar were the slinkiest. That one stayed with me.

Funny to have two Dylan tunes first set as we talked of his appearance in the Good, Bad Ugly at dinner. 

After Deal, I hit the bar to enjoy the warmth of the atmosphere and my drink😜, commandeering a nice spot on the couches. Nice venue built @ 1921. Concrete floors demand cork insoles. I’ll be wearing those tonight. 

I don’t understand why people go see live music to have a full on conversation for all to hear while the music plays. 

Fun time! Palpable appreciation of piano solo and guitar that followed in Death Don’t. The Caution pulled up short abruptly and dove into Casey Jones. That was superb. Lots of room to let go after space on the floor. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP
On 12/28/2017 at 8:08 PM, Mojo Hand said:

Electives suffer from the interpretation and creativity of an intermediary.

Umm, by the very definition of their existence, Dark Star Orchestra engages in "interpretation and creativity of an intermediary".  No matter whether they're playing some horrific '94 set list*, the set list from your favorite show, or an elective.

*fortunately they do not do this

On 12/28/2017 at 11:08 PM, Mojo Hand said:

Electives suffer from the interpretation and creativity of an intermediary.

Couldn’t disagree more. Electives are more authentic in a way since DSO often takes setlists and song arrangements into territory the GD did not.  GD was about constantly pushing tunes furthur into uncharted territory.  These one drummer old school/73 style electives they’ve been doing have been incredible.  

• Advisory Board

DSO drums/space...

whether in a a recreation or elective I like it. Especially “drums”. I find it quite different from Grateful Dead drums and space. 

From my perspective Grateful Dead drums were born out of songs with drum solos. Space was born out of songs with spacey interludes like dark star or “feedback”. They both became a vehicle for the band to take a break in the second set (deserved) but rather than keeping to a theme or feeling they became entities in their own right and apart from the flow of what came before and after. And for me (and many) a chance to take a break, or flip the cassette. 

DSO drums always impresses. I always hear a song and a collaboration between Dino and Koritz. It never feels like an excuse to give the others a break. It feels like a chance for them to shine and leave it all out there on the dance floor. I often shake my head during drums amazed at what I am hearing. Single drummer drums are really amazing. And I’ve said it before, you can always tell a “real” female Deadhead because she loves to dance to drums. My observation. 

The DSO space feels shorter than the Grateful Dead space. I never actually compared the timings. It also feels integrated into the show. It somehow flows from and to while still being space. Shorter and in a context. That makes it part of the show and not just time to take a break. And better...

As as they say, Praise DSO 

Dr. Barry😎

• Like (+1) 1