NYE 12/31/17

PoetryGirl

• Forum MVP

Old school welcome to 2018. 

Eight-sided whispering hallelujah hatrack

Now is the time of returning with our thought
Jewels polished and gleaming.
Now is the time past believing the child has relinquished the rein,
Now is the test of the boomerang tossed in the night of redeeming.
Seven faced marble eyed transitory dream doll,
Six proud walkers on the jingle bell rainbow,
Five men writing with fingers of gold,
Four men tracking down the great white sperm whale,
Three girls waiting in a foreign dominion
Riding in the whale belly, fade away in moonlight,
Sink beneath the waters to the coral sands below.

peace and prosperity - liberty life and the pursuit of happiness - cheers! 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Forum MVP

Feel like a stranger
Althea

Women are smarter

Saint of circumstance
Shakedown

Music never stopped
Mississippi half step
Estimated
St Stephen
Uncle John band
Comes a time
Something...
Morning dew

Love light
Cryptical
Other one
Cryptical 
Alligator
Eleven

Lovelight

Ripple

• Like (+1) 3
  • Forum MVP

LIG after St Stephen?

About 3:15 into 2/22/69 Dark Star recreated that Dream Bowl bit (to my ears)  in the Other One spaciousness. I turned inside out with glee. The Dream Bowl is special to us. It is our lullaby at night since 8/5/16,  from Mountains to Dark Star.  As Joe and I traveled this past spring from Asheville to Raleigh, 2/22/69 was on Sirius XM for that 3 hour drive and was backdrop for the landscape of fields and little purple flowers of springtime that are just as beautiful as the more famous ones.

• Forum MVP
1 hour ago, jam girl ..;) said:

It was amazing and beautiful....that 3rd set had me held hostage !!  

Happy, Healthy New Year to all of you and all the very cool folks I met at the show <3. 

Today these old bones are soaking and resting !  

((( My first time posting here ))).

Welcome!!  Happy New Year

I was at the show last night, hell of a show to see for NYE...

DSO NYE ELECTRIC FACTORY, PHILADELPHIA PA.

Set I (80’s Set)
Intro (Happy Birthday Lisa)
Feels Like a Stranger
Althea
MS/WS
Touch of Grey
Saint of Circumstance
Shakedown Street

Set II (70’s Set)

Music Never Stopped
Mississippi 1/2 Step Toodloo
WRS (Let It Grow)
There comes a time
Estimated Prophet
St. Stephen
UJB 
Morning Dew

Set III (60’s Set)

NYE Countdown
Turn on your Lovelight
Cryptical >
The Other One > Jam >
The Other One > Cryptical 
Alligator
Drums
The Eleven
Turn on your Lovelight (Reprise)

Encore: Ripple

• Thanks (+1) 1

WOW, where to start.  Usually every time I leave a DSO show I 
swear "that was the best Dark Star show I've even seen".  

This time blew me away.  Highlights for me were the 1st 2nd and 3rd sets.  They really nailed them in my opinion.  The vibe was very cool.  I liked the ladies on stilts, and the crazy ballerina/hula hoop/trapeze artist was a nice touch. I've seen many bands in my day, but nobody can harness the energy like DSO.  They take it to another level every time I see them.  Props to the awesome couple I met from DC.  David and his lovely wife who I already forgot her name.  Very cool people to ring in the new year with.  I really hope some video and audio pop up from this show.  I want to see how that vibe translates to tape.  Hopefully everyone got home safe and I can't wait to see what DSO has planned for 2018!

5be84913767be62dd5ac5ec9d424416c--grateful-dead-happy-new-year.jpg

• Like (+1) 2
  • Forum MVP

DSO, you are just amazing. 💖 I hope you have a great time in Jamaica, soaking up the beauty. 

To quote Elizabeth in Young Frankenstein- “you got it, mister”

When Love is the song in your heart, Life bears sweet gifts of the melody in its refrain.

I love you all so much. I miss your faces already.

• Forum MVP

I always want to say more, to try and capture the magic felt in the fleeting moments of a show. While I dance to the cosmic sounds so many inspired thoughts traverse my mental landscape. For a minute everything seems to make sense. Generally after New year's run I've had so much fun and felt so much love that there is basically nothing left to say. Yet still I try...

I won't try too hard. New year's run was amazing for me, Nye being the best. A perfectly crafted, multi-era, three set show. First set was short but hot- especially that shakedown. Set two was perhaps my favorite of the night. That 1/2 step was the best I've ever experienced. Comes a time outro jam really went places. And Dew? Set three was incredible in it's own right- especially That's it for the Other One. Twisting and turning, alchemizing (yes, I invented a new word), never getting boring while pushing the bounds of what and how music can be expressed. 

This band is clearly better than ever. And I thought they were the bees knees 15 years ago.

I love you all very much! West coast shows beckoning soon.....

• Like (+1) 3
  • Forum MVP

I think first set had to be cut short for technical reasons. They had a slight crackle coming through the PA off the stage. I think they may have had more in store for us but decided fixing the problem would better serve the night. I didn't hear the crackle again in sets 2 or 3. 

Set 3 was some of the best music I've ever heard. I've seen a lot of DSO and I don't think I have a clear opinion on best show ever or anything like that anymore. So many environmental factors go in to that thought process. The anniversary show had a 2nd set much like and I'd say just as strong as this 3rd set here. I feel like those in Norfolk feel like they got the show of the year. Sadly I wasn't there. Another buddy said he saw his best 80s DSO show ever. 

I think my general point here echos some of this DSO at the top of their game stuff. At first (first 50 shows) every show was the best, then I held on to some special shows and I didn't feel like the magic was hit like that more than a few times a year. I am not saying that the shows weren't great. They just didn't resonate with me like the special nights did. Lately, I feel like those special nights come more frequently. Dso has always been the best on average Grateful Dead product for me but not it seems like the consistently play shows that reach that magical status. They are playing shows I consider great with much greater frequency. I'd say that puts them on top of their game. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Forum MVP

I agree with MC. Environmental factors are huge. Crowd energy, speaker quality, room to move and friends all contribute to my intake of the music. Things sound better when you are really happy. I think most Dso shows are equally amazing. Rare shows and songs are always exciting. I don’t know if that ‘68 was any “better” than the following ‘91, but that rarity factor elevated that show in my mind. That ‘91 following was in the most epic music venue I’ve ever been in. Out of this world sound. Epic sound quality like with Betty boards elevates our feeling of the music. This year it became clear that ranking shows is futile. Everyone experiences the show differently and has different parts that meant a lot to them personally. Luckily Dso doesn’t really have off nights. An “off night” for me would be a set list I’m not as much a fan of or a place with bad sound or a show with zero room to move or lots of talkers. 

Mango—it’s greaf that you think every show now becomes a best ever. That means you are happy and the goal of seeing music is happiness. If each show tops the previous it means you are of good mental health. 

This is the most important thing happening anywhere on the planet right now.

If there's a way into a desirable future from here, it will be found in that room.

These guys are the real deal - Tell your friends, bring them.

What a wonderful year it's been, and what an incredible run of shows to cap it all off - From here on I will never miss a DSO newyears.

Love you all dearly.

Praise DSO indeed.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Forum MVP
On 1/3/2018 at 11:59 PM, sml said:

This is the most important thing happening anywhere on the planet right now.

If there's a way into a desirable future from here, it will be found in that room.

These guys are the real deal - Tell your friends, bring them.

What a wonderful year it's been, and what an incredible run of shows to cap it all off - From here on I will never miss a DSO newyears.

Love you all dearly.

Praise DSO indeed.

Prerty sure you need to switch the word important for “fun”. It’s definiyely not the most important thing being done on the planet. It may be the most fun but there are many more important things than shows. Many go to shows to get away from the important things to get a break or escape from the world for a short time.