Top of their game

Dr. Barry

• Advisory Board

So after 17 years of seeing DSO I need to state that they are at their peak now. That’s tough to say but it’s true. Always been great. Always jaw dropping. Responsible for so many coming back to the Grateful Dead fold after 1995. 

But the additions of Jeff, Skip and Barraco joining the master ensemble brought it over the top. Each vacancy filled over the years held trepidation yet resulted in new levels of amazement. 

I would urge anyone who hasn’t been to the Jubilee or JITS to make that happen. These are two pinnacles of the band. JITS is costly and not sure if a room or two are still available, but start saving now for next year if you at all can. And make some friends here on the Forums and at shows. 

Happy New Year!

Dr. B✌️

Agreed - they're also some of the hardest working musicians of any I'm familiar with: stewards of the music on and off stage.

I started seeing the band right after Rob B became a permanent member (I'm grateful to be able to listen to the earlier years with Scott on the Archive) and the past few  years the band has reached mindbending peaks musically. Every show is emotionally draining in a positive way.

• Forum MVP

Yikes. I hope they aren’t peaking too soon. Won’t catch another Dso show until April. If they can avoid the injury bug they may be ok. I’m going through football withdrawals obviously. 9+ hours a day of football for a week makes me think in football terms. 

• Forum MVP

While the Doctor is certainly knowledgeable and is a true Renaissance man, I would suggest that the air is one of egalitarianism. This is not to denigrate MC’s cogent observations or to detract from the Doctor’s standing in the community. He is superior, as are all paragons. Yet he does not wear it on his sleeve, but rather is the very epitome of humility and offers his services to all supplicants.

• Forum MVP
1 hour ago, Mason's Child said:

So after 17 years. Dr. Barry is no longer just an elder. He is a hippie overlord. Overseeing and partaking in the dance with the kids while retaining an air of knowledge and superiority. 

I can’t tell if this is a compliment or a jab but it does imply a level of arrogance I’ve never seen from the Dr. He def has the knowledge, he is def an elder, he def participates in the dance but there are character traits associated with overlords, overseers and superiors that I would never pin to his chest. Barry is one of us with higher mileage. Prob a compliment with a curious choice of words. 

• Forum MVP

What’s so weird is how this will be my 8th year seeing Dso and 7 of traveling to see them. It seems like just the other day. I’ve known many of you well before the gf and feels like we’ve been together forever. Are we living in a dream?  I think this must be some elaborate dream. Maybe I’m concussed from the clone wars and I’m escaping back to things I’ve read about in ancient books. That seems the likely answer. 

• Forum MVP
9 hours ago, Mason's Child said:

So after 17 years. Dr. Barry is no longer just an elder. He is a hippie overlord. Overseeing and partaking in the dance with the kids while retaining an air of knowledge and superiority. 

Knowledge and experience breed confidence - I think that’s what you see.  I also see someone who makes sure we all remember how important these moments are as they pass quickly.

I’m ok with with Dr. B as my overlord - I will volunteer to be in his 1st infantry.

giphy.gif

• Forum MVP
6 minutes ago, Tea said:

Knowledge and experience breeds confidence - I think that’s what you see.  I also see someone who makes sure we all remember how important these moments are as they pass quickly.

I’m ok with with Dr. B as my overlord - I will volunteer to be in his 1st infantry.

giphy.gif

Dr. Barry's Big Red One...fuck yeah!

Image result for big red one

Archived