Drums Space 2017 >

jimmylew

Been going to DSO shows since the begining.  My favorite 2-3 nights a year.  NJ, CA, MA.  Greatest scene.  Greatest music.

I have to say that over the past few months the band has added extended Drums Space and quite frankly it hasn't been been a good addition

Drums Space is a waste of time and it blows away whatever great energy is in the room

Last week in Montclair NJ it went on for 30 min.  By the time it ended more than 50% of the people had left to go home

Drums Space was for the drug induced crowds of the 60s - 90s.  It is authentic Dead but a part of the recreation I think nobody wants to hear anymore

Not trying to be a downer here.  Just calling it as I see it.

Everybody around me that night agreed.

Feedback

JimmyLew

• Forum MVP
2 hours ago, ducats said:

you have a right to your opinion but not facts. D/S was a later day addition necessitated by the dragon.

Moreover, it was a later day addition facilitated by Mickey becoming the recipient, thanks to Francis Ford Coppola, of the hardware used in making the Apocalypse Now soundtrack. aka The Beast.

I couldn't disagree more.

It's the apex of the hero"s journey, death and rebirth - Sometimes everything else feels like it only exists so we can get to this point in the evening and watch these absolute masters milk the very fabric of existence.

Best part of the night is when all the casuals clear out early.

• Forum MVP

Drums was 15:37. Space was 5:17.  That is 20:54. 

DAMN, I missed out on the time space continuum expansion you experienced!! I wish I had 8min and 6 sec more of rhythmic spaciousness where sound is born, the heart beats and thoughts swirl in nebulous matter, finding meaning in their existence. 

The D/S segment weeds out the weak. I mean that with the utmost respect for those who don't dig it, because at one time I didn't either.

The floor thins out; the band pushes it 5-10 minutes more than any audience member who isn't in on the gag can handle; only the strange remain. The  post-drums part of the set thru the end of the show is always my favorite part as a member of the crowd.

And if I say to you tomorrow. Take my hand, child, come with me.
It's to a castle I will take you, where what's to be, they say will be.
Catch the wind, see us spin, sail away, leave today, way up high in the sky.
But the wind won't blow, you really shouldn't go, it only goes to show
That you will be mine, by takin' our time.
And if you say to me tomorrow, oh what fun it all would be.
Then what's to stop us, pretty baby. But What is and what should never be.
So if you wake up with the sunrise, and all your dreams are still as new,
And happiness is what you need so bad, girl, the answer lies with you.
Oh the wind wont blow and we really shouldn't go and it only goes to show.
Catch the wind, we're gonna see it spin, we're gonna... sail, little girl
do do do, bop bop a do-oh, my my my my my my yeah.
Everybody I know seems to know me well
but they're never gonna know that I move like hell.

11 hours ago, Blindman said:
And if I say to you tomorrow. Take my hand, child, come with me.
It's to a castle I will take you, where what's to be, they say will be.
And if you say to me tomorrow, oh what fun it all would be.
Then what's to stop us, pretty baby. But What is and what should never be.
So if you wake up with the sunrise, and all your dreams are still as new,
And happiness is what you need so bad, girl, the answer lies with you.
Oh the wind wont blow and we really shouldn't go and it only goes to show.
Catch the wind, we're gonna see it spin, we're gonna... sail, little girl
do do do, bop bop a do-oh, my my my my my my yeah.
Everybody I know seems to know me well
but they're never gonna know that I move like hell.

Am I the only one who sang it in my head as I read it? Thanks Blindman!

:dsorocks:

• Forum MVP

I attended a seminar on 11/1/86 where Jerry and Mickey talked about using industrial sounds that were similar to notes and chords that we're all familiar with to take the experience to new levels. I don't think d>s was because of drug addiction. That belittles it. It's like when Oliver Stone and Val Kilmer did The Doors movie. They both said in an interview that they believed Jim was  a drunk and drug addict and that was what they wanted to present to movie audiences. They didn't want to take on the task of presenting him as  mystic. Keeping d>s going is an important part of what DSO and other creative GD bands do. I like it. I guess that's why seeing a 1971-72 recreation show is kinda boring to me at times. I agree with Oak. It really was best thing going after I'd seen them a couple of hundred times. Looking forward to a full show at Cosmic Charlies Saturday!

• Forum MVP
On 1/4/2018 at 1:35 PM, jimmylew said:

Been going to DSO shows since the begining.  My favorite 2-3 nights a year.  NJ, CA, MA.  Greatest scene.  Greatest music.

I have to say that over the past few months the band has added extended Drums Space and quite frankly it hasn't been been a good addition

Drums Space is a waste of time and it blows away whatever great energy is in the room

Last week in Montclair NJ it went on for 30 min.  By the time it ended more than 50% of the people had left to go home

Drums Space was for the drug induced crowds of the 60s - 90s.  It is authentic Dead but a part of the recreation I think nobody wants to hear anymore

Not trying to be a downer here.  Just calling it as I see it.

Everybody around me that night agreed.

Feedback

JimmyLew

Jersey/new York people always leave early regardless. That’s a great thing. All who are left now have room to let go. Not sure why you wouldn’t want the crowd to thin out. The band already has the ticket sales. Now the people there to boogie can get down. 

• Forum MVP

When seeing the GD, it was almost always the following:

(1)   Smoke Break 

(2)   I'm keeping this goin till the last note and beyond.  Why would anyone choose to squander the sonic key to the universe

(3)   Catch my Breath

(4)   I'm freaking out (see 1)

With DSO, well....Not much has changed I guess - lol!

• Advisory Board
4 hours ago, Ammagamalin Crew said:

I guess that's why seeing a 1971-72 recreation show is kinda boring to me at times. I agree with Oak. It really was best thing going after I'd seen them a couple of hundred times. 

I am trying to explore a different way of thinking about the above comment.  But I just can’t do it...

Somehow a 71-72 recreation show is less boring to me than a Grateful Dead drum/space, if I understood your comment correctly. 

Dr. B😎

• Forum MVP

Watch The Doors movie. It covers a lot more territory than merely the tales of a drunk delusional wanna-be mystic.

Watch this clip and hopefully be motivated to watch the entire Hollywood Bowl movie. Aside from the astounding production value (of course, LA offered world class cinematic talent) it gives a good account of the band and its shows.

Some of us who were teenagers then believed he was a shaman in the Dionysian mode. Right or wrong, he spoke to the times that gave birth to a youth culture that still reverberates today.

The future’s uncertain and the end is always near.

Archived