College hoops

bs69

• Forum MVP

Now that the football season is over, time for hoops. It seems to me in the early going that the Big 12 and Big East are the strongest. ACC and Pac 12 are about the same as usual. The Big ten is down and the SEC is much improved. Really no overwhelming favorites at this point, could be a year where someone a little off the radar makes a run to the title

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP
11 hours ago, bs69 said:

Now that the football season is over, time for hoops. It seems to me in the early going that the Big 12 and Big East are the strongest. ACC and Pac 12 are about the same as usual. The Big ten is down and the SEC is much improved. Really no overwhelming favorites at this point, could be a year where someone a little off the radar makes a run to the title

Agreed, no team looks like it wants to grab the reigns and stay on top.....yet.

Should make for a fun tourney come March......probably 20 teams that could make a run for the ring.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

Duke signed the 1,2,3 and 8th ranked high schoolers. Holy shit. Calipari is pissed saying duke promising the kids too much. You can’t win with just freshmen as you can see from UK’s 2 game skid. They may have talent out the ass but don’t work as a team. That being said, if you have the top 3 players and they are all legit top 3 then you can win it. UK won with the top 2 in 2012 but one may end up on an all timer team plus they had returning stars. 

• Forum MVP
On 1/23/2018 at 2:05 PM, Rude said:

Duke signed the 1,2,3 and 8th ranked high schoolers. Holy shit. Calipari is pissed saying duke promising the kids too much. You can’t win with just freshmen as you can see from UK’s 2 game skid. They may have talent out the ass but don’t work as a team. That being said, if you have the top 3 players and they are all legit top 3 then you can win it. UK won with the top 2 in 2012 but one may end up on an all timer team plus they had returning stars. 

K is definitely on a recruiting tear lately. I have a sense that Jeff Capel has played a huge part in the recruiting wins these last few years.

• Forum MVP

Impressive win for Virginia Saturday. Also a very impressive showing from the SEC taking 6 out of 10 from the Big 12 capped by Kentucky showing what they are capable of. Not sure if they can put it together for a string of games in the tourney though.

• Forum MVP
16 hours ago, bs69 said:

Impressive win for Virginia Saturday. Also a very impressive showing from the SEC taking 6 out of 10 from the Big 12 capped by Kentucky showing what they are capable of. Not sure if they can put it together for a string of games in the tourney though.

Virginia played great Saturday and deserved the W.......I hope Duke gets another shot at the Cavs in the ACC tourney.

Duke always starts strong.  And this season even at the beginning we had a lot of close game comebacks.  Unfortunately, late season/March collapses have become too common.  I don't think K likes the recruiting one-and-done game but its what you have to do.  His strength is building a cohesive team over 4 years but you just can't do that anymore.  Except for Wisconsn.

• Forum MVP

Here’s a great analysis using ken pomeroy stats. It shows that Purdue, Villanova and Virginia are all pace as potential top 25 teams ever this year. It’s a really amazing analysis. It also shows the blue blood bias towards teams like UK duke Kansas and Carolina where annually they are ranked way above where they should be preseason. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vuhoops.com/platform/amp/villanova-basketball/2018/1/30/16948816/villanova-basketball-virginia-purdue-great-duke-kansas-unc-kentucky-blue-blood

• Forum MVP
On 1/31/2018 at 9:34 AM, GratefulDevil said:

Duke always starts strong.  And this season even at the beginning we had a lot of close game comebacks.  Unfortunately, late season/March collapses have become too common.  I don't think K likes the recruiting one-and-done game but its what you have to do.  His strength is building a cohesive team over 4 years but you just can't do that anymore.  Except for Wisconsn.

Villanova seems to be doing a good job at building a cohesive team

• Forum MVP
14 hours ago, Rude said:

Here’s a great analysis using ken pomeroy stats. It shows that Purdue, Villanova and Virginia are all pace as potential top 25 teams ever this year. It’s a really amazing analysis. It also shows the blue blood bias towards teams like UK duke Kansas and Carolina where annually they are ranked way above where they should be preseason. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vuhoops.com/platform/amp/villanova-basketball/2018/1/30/16948816/villanova-basketball-virginia-purdue-great-duke-kansas-unc-kentucky-blue-blood

Good read, thanks

• Forum MVP

What’s really crazy is Villanovas stadium is under renovation and their home games are in philly. Home teams win 67% of games in college hoops and they don’t have that home field advantage. 

All 3 of those teams are winning because of upperclassmen and team play. 

Virginia has allowed over 64 points only 2x this year. That’s insane. I have to think they would be favorite to win it all at this point. 

Virginia, Villanova and Purdue have a combined whopping 1 conference loss so far. Like that article states, the people that don’t think any teams are that much better than any others tend to overvalue NBA players and undervalue team play. I laughed my ass off when I saw a UK team who lost 9 players without picking up a top 10 recruit being ranked 2nd to start the year in 1 poll. Every year UK is top 5 to start. 

• 1 month later...
  • Forum MVP

Round 3 of Carolina v Duke tonight. I expect Duke to beat them pretty handily. Lots of big name schools sitting on the bubble this year, likely to be some interesting games in Dayton.

• Forum MVP

Allen is going to get killed in the pros if he tries that crap. Really impressed with the job Williams has done coaching this year. They really don't seem that talented but keep winning. Locked up a two seed last night and probably saved Xavier a spot in the one line.

• Forum MVP

Everyone in KY despises duke and every time Grayson does anything it just creates more hatred. To think, Laetner was once most hated Dukey. Grayson has jumped him. 

• Forum MVP
27 minutes ago, Rude said:

Everyone in KY despises duke and every time Grayson does anything it just creates more hatred. To think, Laetner was once most hated Dukey. Grayson has jumped him. 

And he hasn't even done anything to Kentucky. Kentucky looks like they are getting their act together just in time for the tourney.

• Forum MVP

Kentuckians think laetner and Allen epitomize the sportsmanship of duke lol. I also point out that Cousins was also a little bit of a douche for UK. He stomped a player or 2. 

• Forum MVP

I liked Virginia before Hunter went down for the tourney. It's going to be tough to overcome losing the 6th man of the year, and really their only bonafide NBA player. They lacked depth before he got hurt, now they have to play a strict seven man rotation. Very difficult to do in this tourney. For that reason I'm out on Va.

Archived