Nugs Release

PoetryGirl

• 2 weeks later...

I downloaded Albany, Norva, & Anthem.  Can't wait to listen to all of Norva. 

But Albany was a night to always remember.

and Mason's Child, its pretty amazing when you can have a 1st set of Box, SMR, Terrapin, full WRS, and China/Rider and say the 2nd set was the good one.  That whole night was one of the best nights of music I've ever had.

• Forum MVP

Glad Eaton did a few of the recreations on nugs. I think Dso really shines on the late 80’ and 90s shows and that anthem show was epic. They have a lot more toys in that era and overall I assume the band saw more Brent shows than all others combined so I can’t help but think that their personal style was more towards that era(thevanthem show was actually post Brent). After that norva and anthem it was hard for me to say which was better because they were both so great and played so differently. Also venue bias and energy level and headspace make it hard to really analyze any Dso show since they are so sharp every single night. The Anthem was such an over the top venue with mind blowing sound. I’m sorry that a lot of my friends didn’t get to be there to see it. It was so far above any music venue I’ve ever been to.  I mean is there a straight music venue in the country that’s indoors that’s as big as that?  Hopefully Dso gets back there again.  I’m on a flight for sure if they do and I’m sure many more will make that trek. After all that ramble I’m getting ready to get and listen to that anthem show today. The 68 norva show will be listened to for the 1st time in 2 weeks on a long post show drive to make sure I’m in the proper alignment for it. 

• Forum MVP

The Norva show is def in my top 5. I’m an early era nut and to see the first and so far only 68 recreation is etched in my soul. That Big Boy Pete in the first set elective routinely runs thru my mind. The uniqueness of a 68 style elective first set and full 68 show second set and the way they perfectly melded those two sets together seamlessly into a full show is mind blowing because there are no 3.5hr 68 shows in existence (that I’m aware of). What I try to explain to people is how much talent it takes transport one into the inner ethos of a 68 acid test type show one night and then blow the roof off with an expertly executed 91 the next night is jaw dropping. When I saw the dead in 86 I was guaranteed to get an 86 style show. Not to suggest dso’s talent surpasses the dead’s by any means but rather to shine a light on how amazing what they do is. When I was in college I painted a mural on my dorm wall that had a stealie in the center with the phrase wrapped around it that said “they’re not the best at what they do, they’re the only ones that do what they do”. (They made me paint over that at the end of the year to avoid forfeiture of some deposit my parents had made. That sucked). I think this phrase applies to DSO in this modern era of a bounty of dead style bands, as it relates to their business model, which I think is genius and also exceedingly difficult. It’s what makes me brim with excitement waiting for those first notes of the show opener. This is why I plan much of my vacation time around DSO shows and why I praise the band and their talent, (and crew)! The people I’ve met on this forum whom I’m positive feel the same way I do, and whom I get to attend these shows with, and boogie down with make it a sacred component of my well being. Peace. ❤️

DSO is one of very few bands whose live releases I pay to download because as an audience member I feel like I contributed in some way to the music, and I embrace the chance to listen to it over and over. It feels narcissistic to say that, but it's true. I'm grabbing Albany, Portland, and Norfolk (wasn't in attendance for VA, but good God what a smoking hot show).

There is nothing like a Grateful Dead concert...

... except a DSO concert.

• 1 month later...
  • Forum MVP
On 2/3/2018 at 4:30 PM, Oak said:

DSO is one of very few bands whose live releases I pay to download because as an audience member I feel like I contributed in some way to the music, and I embrace the chance to listen to it over and over. It feels narcissistic to say that, but it's true. I'm grabbing Albany, Portland, and Norfolk (wasn't in attendance for VA, but good God what a smoking hot show).

There is nothing like a Grateful Dead concert...

... except a DSO concert.

I agree. I feel like the harder we boogie the more the band gives us. If I’m all out, I get in a mindset that the band wants to see if they can make us pass out. Bring it!! Lol. 

• 2 weeks later...

patiently waiting for the Winter Tour shows to be released... :)

Wondering if Rob visits this thread...If so...Rob - would you consider releasing the 4/9/13 Terrapin Crossroads show when Phil Lesh sat in?

I can't recall why it wasn't released before, it may have been at a time when releases were halted for various reasons.

Sure would be a nice compliment to the beautiful recording of the 2012 Fillmore show with Phil sitting in.

Just a thought... :) 

Archived