Maybe now I’ve seen everything...

Dr. Barry

• Advisory Board

EE3A9782-CF17-45E5-8445-D071CC1FC6E5.png.d81cf61cf95de1d222a1c50ebbc984da.png

Maybe,

Mayer would be proud. 

Phil would be jealous. 

Bob will want to meet her and invite her and her family backstage. 

Jerry would be laughing. 

Deadco “heads” who never saw Jerry and think Deadco is the Grateful Dead and actually watch and care about the Kardashian’s will think this is normal. 

I will wonder if I have seen everything...

Dr. Barry 

• Advisory Board

None. I think you nailed it. She probably has no connection to anything that the symbol means besides the fact that it is on her shirt. Given who she is I imagine that her very carefully crafted image projected to the public by her handlers didn’t allow that picture to be released without knowing what it meant. 

Let’s face it, in “ the day” it was always “cool” in an “anti-cool” way to proclaim your like of the Grateful Dead. Even if you didn’t really know much about them except for Truckin’ or Casey Jones. I think that was because they were a symbol of an alternative American lifestyle. Publicly associating with that symbol painted you into an outlaw club. It made you the “them” and not the “us”. 

Nowadays it seems that the symbolism of the Grateful Dead has become the mainstream. Fashionable because it is safe and acceptable. Doesn’t raise any eyebrows among the stodgy or the uptight. It’s now cool because it makes you part of the “us”. It’s a sugar cube that is nothing more than something sweet to eat. 

People thought that Touch of Grey brought the bubble gum masses onto the “scene” with its MTV video and top 10 radio AirPlay. And I’m not saying it’s a bad thing that the Grateful Dead and all things dead related have become safe and acceptable by the mainest of the mainstream. But that picture made an impression on me. 

Dr. B😎

• Advisory Board
12 minutes ago, Mason's Child said:

Trudy me our community still exist. We are still the them. Many of us still outlaws. She isn't apart of it. Never will be. That goes for Mayer too. 

Starheads are the real outlaws. 

Dr. B

• Forum MVP

Mango just nailed it. Your hate is dividing people, not a girl who wears a bolt. Who cares what she wears. Maybe u guys shouldn’t follow the Kardashian’s if u are so upset about their clothing choices. I think it’s jealousy. U guys want to be her. I suggest watching a violent David Lynch movie like wild at heart or blue velvet to get your anger out. 

This is not directed towards Dr. Barry whom I respect a great deal. Mayer bashing is boring and predictable.  So these days your cool if you are a Star Head who basically recreate shows and do their own original shows made up of Dead Tunes of which I have seen many and am a huge fan of.  But you are an L7 (square), not cool and part of the main stream if you dig Dead and Company which includes the single most important and it's not real close in my opinion living link to Garcia's legacy (Bob Weir).  And I also don't get the reasoning behind giving Dead and Company or John Mayer shit  because a Kardashian  is wearing a Stealie.  That's just fucking stupid.

I like Dark Star Orchestra and I like Dead and Company.  So what.

• Advisory Board

I had fun at Deadco at Wrigley Field and would go again. I wouldn’t board a plane like I do for DSO, but there aren’t many bands I would do that for...

And let’s not forget this gem;

67ED3063-5A14-490C-A868-CE1575B7B622.jpeg.e031cfb9bc4dd2d003358518050ae4f3.jpeg

Dr. B😎

• Forum MVP

I don't follow the Kardishians. I follow the DSO forum. Would've never seen photo otherwise except maybe in text form from you Rude. 

Ive always considered those standing next to me to be the community not necessarily those playing it. My brothers and sisters are in the crowd with me. 

I too like dead and co. I will see 5 shows this summer. I will get on an airplane for 2 of them.  I didn't give Dead and co any shit on this thread. 

Mayer isn't apart of my community. That's okay with me. He can change that by giving me a call anytime and asking me to break bread until then he just a guy playing dead music for me. 

Just cause I don't consider you apart of my community does not mean I hate you, I don't respect you or I wish you harm. 

By the way I'm with we all apart of the human community - that's why respect is a given for me. 

There is no hate behind it. I'm sure in many ways they feel the same way. I don't expect to be invited to dinner anytime soon. 

my almost 80 year old mother is seeing the dead&co mainstream popularity, looking back on my life and is happy that she mis-understood.......  problem is she didn't. I haven't seen anything since 95 but DSO. there are no misfits at dead&co.  I know you starheads are doing a pretty good job carrying the torch, but i wish u would drop the outlaw stuff. Altamont was a low point - if not the lowest.    

10 hours ago, DesertDead said:

One of the (many) things that I loved about the Dead scene when I was first exposed to it was the “anything goes” concept.  Part of that is anyone is welcome.

For me, anyone means everyone.

everyone's welcome - it's just that dead heads pass

• Forum MVP

Deadheads promoted acceptance and sometimes practiced what they preached. Anyone could attend and people were kind to each other as long as there were no hassles.

Just like any large community, there were sects that took the Dead’s ‘crusade’ incredibly seriously.  As I started interacting with some of those folks, you better believe that it was important to them what your status was.  It determined if you could be trusted and if you would be part of their network (marketplace + transportation most notably).  I’m not saying these folks ran the show, but they were a pretty big cog in the community - directly or indirectly.

Looking back, simply fascinating from a sociological standpoint.

Nothing wrong with the fan base of Grateful Dead music growing. The world can use as much positivity as it can get right now. Bob, Bill and Mickey are getting long in the tooth, and maybe having a large scale band like this, with a popular mainstreamer like Mayer playing lead was their way of making a late push in getting people on the bus. Maybe they just wanted to play some big gigs. Maybe it was a money grab. Who cares. Some who attend casually will take deep meaning from the music and it will affect their lives deeply. Some will go for party time, some will hate the music, some will have too much too fast. The fact that it's penetrating the very edges of pop culture with a few celebs wearing stealie shirts? Who cares. It's not going to cut my enjoyment of the music at all. I've never felt any better about myself because I am a deadhead and I enjoy music that is so much more wonderful than what everyone else listens to. I wish everyone would listen to it. 

15 minutes ago, Tea said:

Deadheads promoted acceptance and sometimes practiced what they preached. Anyone could attend and people were kind to each other as long as there were no hassles.

Just like any large community, there were sects that took the Dead’s ‘crusade’ incredibly seriously.  As I started interacting with some of those folks, you better believe that it was important to them what your status was.  It determined if you could be trusted and if you would be part of their network (marketplace + transportation most notably).  I’m not saying these folks ran the show, but they were a pretty big cog in the community - directly or indirectly.

Looking back, simply fascinating from a sociological standpoint.

I think the average fan will never have these types of interactions. Maybe do a little buying and enjoying. Making their own contributions to those who make the larger contributions. The risk assumed by some to make those experiences possible for others would require big trust in their support team, and I am grateful for their risk and sacrifice. I know I could never do it, too scared. It is still really fun to go to shows, though 😁😁😁😁

• Forum MVP

Any and all contributions to the scene are great. Would be so much cooler if these celebs would rock a shirt they clearly bought from a hippie on lot and didn't order off line through target. Now that would be cool. Maybe brittney spears in patchwork. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2018 at 6:25 PM, Dr. Barry said:

Fashionable because it is safe and acceptable. Doesn’t raise any eyebrows among the stodgy or the uptight.

Tell that to the police in Idaho (;-___-)

What's a Kardashian?

Archived