Best shows of 2017

cusnjohn

So I used to start the year off by posting my favorite shows of the year at the Zone, but since that's over, seems like here would be proper. Sorry  to hear about Barlow today. 

Don't be mad that there's no DSO, can't believe that a couple of years have flown by without seeing them. Anyway, that will get taken care of this month.

In no particular order:

Dakhabrakha - May - Taos Mesa Brewery

They ARE a band beyond description! Normally they play to 1,000 plus at nice theatres, but here they were in an open club with most people checking them out for the first time. Many left with their mouths still open. Best of all, they are no longer afraid of the intimate proximity of their adoring fans. Many songs take minutes to develop, when they did Spring, it starts with them recreating the sound of a marsh, with bird and other animals sounds. Song fades out the same, and this time they smiled as we all chimed in with calls of our own. Do not skip this band if they came by you.

Jimmy Herring Band & John McGlauflin Group - December 9th - Royce Hall - USC - LA

Wow! 3 hours of joy! All of the new songs from Jimmy with the Invisible Whip were solid. Can't wait for the release. Then John comes out and finishes his last North American tour on the same stage that he played on 45 years earlier. Solid performance. Then everyone comes out, 3 drummers, two bassists, two of the greatest guitarists on the planet and Jason Crosby on the violin and melt us all with an hour of Mahavishnu material. Historic show!

Hudson - October - Kimo Theater - Alb. NM

Jack Dejohnette, John Scofield, Larry Grenadine & John Medeski. What a quartet! Finally got to see Sco. Their album holds up well. Not really a jazz outfit, more like four friends who get together on Sundays and do whatever the hell they want. And they did just that. Both Medeski and Scofield had kind things to say about Rob after the show. 

Kyle Hollingsworth Band - June - Tthe Bridge - Santa Fe

Went not knowing or expecting much. Way funkier than I expected. Did a great Will it go round in Circles. Originals worked fine. Liked him much better than that bigger band he's in.

Mark May - December - Some bar in Houston

Haven't seen this blues icon in a dozen years and he hasn't lost his touch. Played at his home turf for free at a bar that holds 150. Most people knew each other. Played all of the blues genres, relaxed with a great rhythm section. Check his stuff out, though I'm not sure if he comes off as well on vinyl.

Jim Lauderdale -  August - Los Alamos

This is the person we can thank for having Hunter continue to write dozens of great new songs. Played a set of bluegrass with a northern New Mexican band, High Country, then came out

with a local R&B group called JK and the Affordibles and and tore it up. Got a signed copy of Soul Searching, highly recommended. Of course any of the Hunter collaborations should be sought out. Black Roses and Patchwork River especially. New one, London Southern is fine.

That's it from me, and you? Feel free to list a bunch of DSO shows, I don't mid. See you at the House Of Blues! JB

Archived