Dead and co has lost their mind

Rude

• Forum MVP

http://m.jamesperse.com/gratefuldead-1/collections/men

promoting $3k blankets, $100 hats, $200 t-shirts and other ultra expensive nonsense. There were so many negative posts when they announced they partnered with this designer that they removed the Instagram post. They urged people to preorder this nonsense. Designer bullshit. 

Wow..What makes a blanket worth 3k? That’s crazy...and if you feel the need to buy a hat or T-shirt for 100 plus bucks just because it has a stealie or dancing bears..well your a idiot and that’s just insane, I guess If was super rich with no regards for money I could lay on some super exclusive island with a 3,000$ stealie blanket. But I’ll settle for a white hotel shower towel. It works fine. 

Interesting link.  Amazing what deadheads will buy.  My guess is most buyers may not even know much about the GD.  I happen to own a handful of collared shirts from this designer.  They make awesome stuff and their clothes are very well made but it's definitely pricey. 

Feel free to throw stones but there's actually one long sleeve on there I don't completely hate...

• Forum MVP

Maybe the customers are in it for the gold. And you know what they say about a fool and his gold. Maybe it is the only long sleeve new shirt they bought for years because the saying in the South is better to have one nice dress than 2 cheap ones. Who knows what magical powers the wearer with pure heart would gain. I have a 10000 hell bank note I haven’t cashed in. Did I buy it? No. Did I pay for it? Well..... probably so. I just imagine there is no heaven except next door at the resort. I go to Heaven side for yoga, to swim with the fishes and have lunch. Otherwise it is the La Hacienda for me in Mexico until show time!

Last night all all the boys wore all black until second set. I guess they finished mourning first set with Deal. Or maybe  Billy and Oteil had a black and blue tie dye shirt and  black and blue tie dyes short, respectively, all along. Black and blue myself but I moved the late night snack chair out of my path so took care of that hurt. Mayer had on a mechanic black shirt. Bob’s black shirt had dead  and Co embroidered on it on the left sleeeve. He wears his heart on his sleeve these days and I like it. “ just letting it ride takes you so far away from how it feels inside”  

Peaceful paths.... 

• Forum MVP

FYI, deadco removed all mention of the collection from all of the social media. The deleted several Instagram references. 600+ negative comments within an hour. Who thought it was a good idea to tell your million followers to go buy “designer” clothing. Looked like a standard tee to me. The gf told me that this designer did a few things for John Mayer a while back so I’m guessing that’s how it started. His LA crowd isn’t a deadhead group but they may wear something dead if they can answer the “who are you wearing” question. This is a janes perce original from his winter 2018 deadco line.  I just loves the way he takes a plain 2 dollar hat and puts a standard embroidery on it. See the tag. It says his name on it. The gf said it’s Coachella wear for celebs who want to bandwagon the Mayer train. No true deadhead would buy or wear any of this from a strictly principle aspect. The principle of buying a sweater with a standard steal your face screen print for $285 makes me cringe. We scrape at times to see too many shows. Travel long distances, buy flights to see this music and then you insult our intelligence with insane markup items. Fuck, Jerry wore a plain black tee 90% of shows. It doesn’t matter what you wear just as long as you are there. This is still getting under my skin. It feels like a betrayal. Designer clothes are not what dead fans wear to shows or generally ever. Sell your deadco clothing but don’t issue an Armani collection for fans happy to buy a shirt at the show. /end rant 

• Forum MVP

Something is worth what somebody is willing is to pay for it. 

So far I have invested $0.00 in cash and a few minutes of you tube into dead & co. although I do have ticket for upcoming Cinncy show.

There would be no chance of me ever giving up a GD ticket for $ but for dead.co....let the bidding begin. If you can't beat em....join em.

• Forum MVP
14 hours ago, PoetryGirl said:

So is it the $$$ issue? There are Louis Vuitton style baseball caps with skullfucks on it for $30. Is this a wrong message ? Looks good for potential bad weather.

It’s the principle. The dead refused to jack ticket prices up even when they were selling out football stadiums. Their response was we make enough money. Why would we take advantage of the fans. Promoting a $105 hat that I can have produced by a factory I use in China for $1.50 a unit is nonsense. Did you see the items?  There was nothing designer or special about any of it. Standard logos. Standard materials besides the cashmere blanket.  Could you imagine the band telling Jerry if he was alive that we are going to partner with some overpriced fashion designer to sell $100 hats and tees? And it’s not even a money grab. So little will be sold. This is for the LA crowd or non heads who think this is what they need to wear to their 1 tourist show a year. Hell we saw one of the kardashians in a pic wearing some other designer $300 white tee with a steal your face on it that was promoted in a what to wear to a deadco show vogue article.  The sold out part is nonsense. It’s a marketing gimmick. He allowed probably 2-3 total sales on the blanket.  John Mayer probably bought 1 for Monet and Katie perry bought 1. How does a presale sell out anyway?  It’s a presale. You take orders then have your Chinese factory make the amount you need and ship them over. It’s obviously a ploy to make people think they are so in demand that they sold out. 

Sml I already have a $2500 cashmere Jerry band fleece. I’m not paying $500 more for deadco. Deadco should be cheaper!!! John Mayer devalues it all. Dude would bring girls back stage after shows just to whack off on them. He may be a good guitarist but he at least “was” an A-list douchebag. He’s given interviews in the past with quotes so disgusting, he’d qualify to run for a GOP seat in the south. He’s like the George costanza hand model episode. No woman could compare to the beauty of his own hand. 

I think Rude needs to get a new Hobby and stop obsessing about Dead Co. Merch,  and  Mayer and the "LA Crowd"  (is that something you made up?)

Ironically the Dead have been the most generous Band in Rock and Roll history for allowing unofficial vendors and the Gypsy Caravan AKA Shakedown Street to sell whatever unofficial, homemade Dead gear they wish not to mention everything else under the sun  and never asked for a dime...

This sell out conception is just Idiotic on it's face in my opinion...No disrespect but the Grateful Dead have never been overt Anti-Capitalists and neither has DSO.

• Forum MVP
On 2/19/2018 at 11:02 AM, 2muchfun said:

There would be no chance of me ever giving up a GD ticket for $ but for dead.co....let the bidding begin. If you can't beat em....join em.

The 19 min Birdsong from Mexico is divine. Talking guitar,. 😆 Up on nugs.net. Listening for 60 day free trial. I’ve listened to it 6 times since Sunday. 

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 11:56 PM, Rude said:

Could you imagine the band telling Jerry if he was alive that we are going to partner with some overpriced fashion designer to sell $100 hats and tees?

While not as passionate in my objections to Dead and Co merchandising as you are Rude.......I generally agree that there are many things going on in Dead and Co world that don't sit quite right with me.

Though there is one thing you wrote (as quoted above) that raised my eyebrows a bit.  Let's not put Jerry on too high of a pedestal in this discussion.  He may have been the first and most egregious band member in terms of "merchandising sell-outs".  Jerry Garcia Ties??

• Forum MVP

I’m not bashing deadco selling tees. Jerry ties were reasonably priced.  It’s that they partnered with a “designer” to do merch that looks no different than any $20 hat or tee out there.

The designer said he used to sell bootleg t-shirts outside dead shows when he was younger. That’s even more sad. He understands people want cheap tees. He went from bootlegger to designer pricing lol. Obviously they realized the error as they removed all mention of it from all social media. 

• Forum MVP

Wait a second and please back up. Let's not get JGarcia ties into this discussion. 

"Merchandising sellouts?"  Seriously?  They were totally righteous and as Rude says fairly priced.  Awesome pieces of art based on designs by Garcia himself.  Anyone have anything on that level to say about the Dead & Co rose hat? I didn't think so.

Archived