San Francisco Night #1

John A

• Forum MVP

I had an unfortunately mistimed vacation to Santa Fe, so I'm not at the Warfield this weekend.

But a report at set break indicated it's an elective, the set closing with Here Comes Sunshine > China > Rider.  The jam in HCS was said to be the first set highlight.

Of course it's an elective, because those are my favorites.   I hope the crowds are good for these Warfield shows.  Easily the biggest venue they've booked in the Bay Area.

Mississippi Halfstep Uptown Toodleloo

Hell In A Bucket

Big Railroad Blues

Black Throated Wind

Blow Away

Here Comes Sunshine

Cassidy

We Can Run

China Cat Sunflower >

I Know You Rider

Help On The Way >

Slipknot >

Feel Like A Stranger

To Lay Me Down

Lost Sailor >

Saint Of Circumstance >

Drums >

Space >

Dark Star [first verse] >

Tighten Up Jam >

Comes A Time >

Throwing Stones >

Tangled Up In Blue

E: The Mighty Quinn

• Like (+1) 2
6 minutes ago, GratefulDevil said:

Do they usually keep the same stage setup for night #2 at the same venue? Will tonight be a '76-'78 show?

never that I can recall.  You'll definitely get something different.  

they didn't do 76-78 last night anyway.  It was an elective spanning all decades

Newbie here. I was at the Friday night show and I wish I'd have gone to Saturday too. What's not to like about a 77 show. 

I was surprised by their Friday night setlist.  I figured they'd be playing setlists from the 2/16 & 2/17/82 shows. Last time I saw them was sf in 2015 at which time I think we're still playing setlist from same date in history. When did they start the elective setlists? 

Anyway, Friday setlist was pretty cool.  I don't recall I've ever heard help>slip>stranger before. The slip>stranger  was a very creative tease.  In slipknot, Franklin's was ever so gradually emerging into focus when whammo! Full on stranger.  I laughed in delight. 

Otoh, I've never been able to acquire a taste for the Brent songs, try as I have. Good excuse for a bathroom break.   I like Brent in the mix of dead songs a lot however. 

Second sets for me tend to be the face melters. This second set was just that until tangled and Quinn.  Maybe some day tangled, Quinn, or Brent songs will hit just right and I'll be forever hooked. 

I've only seen DSO twice, but the way they do space is just amazing.  Most of the second set was a seamless jam. Wow! I'm getting chills as I write this. 

Anyway,  I'm rambling.  All in all a very creative and unpredictable setlist.   Great time.  On to Phil lesh and friends tomorrow night at txr. Yeah! 

Edited by Black Jack Davey
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1
12 minutes ago, Black Jack Davey said:

When did they start the elective setlists?

They do an elective about every 3rd show and have been doing so for a long time I think.  An elder Starhead would have to confirm.  Definitely since 2011 when I came on board.  I don't think they were ever specifically dedicated to recreating the exact same date in history.  Again that would need confirmation.  Last year has had the most "anniversary" shows I've seen with the 40th anniversary of 1977.

• Forum MVP

They’ve been doing electives since I stared seeing them in ‘01, and probably before that. An elder Starhead may be able to confirm. Bueller?

Anniversary recreations have usually been the exception rather than the the norm.

The good news is that in recent years (like the course of this decade) they have become more frequent. The bad news is that Terrapin Nation seems to have faded away. It all has evened out, I suppose.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
2 hours ago, Black Jack Davey said:

Newbie here. I was at the Friday night show and I wish I'd have gone to Saturday too. What's not to like about a 77 show. 

I was surprised by their Friday night setlist.  I figured they'd be playing setlists from the 2/16 & 2/17/82 shows. Last time I saw them was sf in 2015 at which time I think we're still playing setlist from same date in history. When did they start the elective setlists? 

Anyway, Friday setlist was pretty cool.  I don't recall I've ever heard help>slip>stranger before. The slip>stranger  was a very creative tease.  In slipknot, Franklin's was ever so gradually emerging into focus when whammo! Full on stranger.  I laughed in delight. 

Otoh, I've never been able to acquire a taste for the Brent songs, try as I have. Good excuse for a bathroom break.   I like Brent in the mix of dead songs a lot however. 

Second sets for me tend to be the face melters. This second set was just that until tangled and Quinn.  Maybe some day tangled, Quinn, or Brent songs will hit just right and I'll be forever hooked. 

I've only seen DSO twice, but the way they do space is just amazing.  Most of the second set was a seamless jam. Wow! I'm getting chills as I write this. 

Anyway,  I'm rambling.  All in all a very creative and unpredictable setlist.   Great time.  On to Phil lesh and friends tomorrow night at txr. Yeah! 

Welcome to our world

• Forum MVP
18 minutes ago, chuckvegas said:

They’ve been doing electives since I stared seeing them in ‘01, and probably before that. An elder Starhead may be able to confirm. Bueller?

6/29/1999 @ Martyrs - Setlist comprised of 'Ahmer's Favorite Dead Songs' (Part 1) 

Set One: Let The Good Times Roll, Feel Like A Stranger,  Bertha, Black Throated Wind,  Crazy Fingers, Women Are Smarter, Black Muddy River, Playin-> Hey Pocky Way 

Set Two:  Mighty Quinn, China Cat Sunflower-> I Know You Rider Sailor-> Saint-> Drumz-> Spanish Jam-> Other One-> Comes A Time-> Mr. Fantasy-> The Weight 

Encore: Dark Star (first verse)-> Mind Left Body Jam-> Corrina-> Shakedown

• Like (+1) 2
  • Forum MVP

Probably 3 of my 100+ have been anniversary shows. Like mr Vegas said they are the exception rather than the rule. Rob Eaton has a complex mathematical formula to figure setlists. Talk with a nasa scientist and they can give you the formula. I used to know it.  (China + Rider -3(last played in x(city) - y(era last played) + z(venue type)))/sqr root(Jerry band)

• Like (+1) 1