Spring Tour

sgrmag2564

Looking like Atlanta could be an option for me to warm up for Jubilee. Then I started thinkin, I'm in Atlanta...might as well go to Asheville. Then, I'm in Asheville, well shit, Charleston's on the way home. Might as well go to Charleston. Be a nice 4 show camping run:D

Peace,

Joe

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

atl x 2, Birmingham, Asheville, Charleston, Charlotte, Raleigh. Will have to hold me til red rocks since my son graduates high school jub weekend. 9 gfest/jubs in a row, tradition squashed by the public school system. Who the fuck has a graduation on a holiday weekend?? Our school system that's the fuck who. He moves out to college in the fall, our last of 3,..... aaaaand our middle daughter has transferred back to a local University for her final 2 yes and will be moving back home in the fall. Thank you Lord for letting us get so close to the empty nest we could smell the spilt beer on the pine straw. Delaying that bliss for a min of 2 years will make us appreciate that time far off in the future with sense of accomplishment unequaled in our lives up to that distant point. Haha, I thread drifted like hell in that one post.

• Forum MVP
2 hours ago, gr8fulpair said:

Charlotte's after Charleston Doc, and hope it's still a "for sure" from you brother. 

Hitting the road in April is for sure. I'll just have to pick up another pair like Steph and Jess to navigate thru the Carolinas and point me to the correct city.

• Forum MVP

For us- Atlanta, Asheville , Charleston and.... Wanee.

Gonna stop off on way back home from Wanee to visit where my Civil War Veteran great grandfather who survived Gettysburg in Cobb’s legion dropped dead at age 75 and left my grandfather Robert Lee, at age 3 fatherless, soon to be motherless at 5. ———-excited to see the Indian Mounds. This is where the Native American side of my family hails-  my maternal great grandmother. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

Spring tour on lock down. Atl >Wilmington. Gf flying in for the very end then 3 days at the beach. Life is good. 

Now I just need summer tour dates. Got redrocks and deadco shoreline bought on the assumption dark star playing Berkeley end of June.  Summer west coast ftw. Gimme the dates. Gimme gimme the dates, toooo-day.  I’m already trying to figure the driving route to go through cool areas I’ve never seen. One of my fav drives ever was the Oregon>cali drive with mount Shasta sitting in the middle of the interstate for an hour. That’s pretty epic. I’ve never driven through the desert in summer and only been west coast 2x in mi life and neither in summer. Ultra pumped. My cats at home for 24 days won’t be happy though.  

Heading to NOLA for Jazzfest by way of last leg of this tour. Picking up in Asheville, NC and hitting all shows through Savannah, GA. Jumping on the AT for a week after that, but I have a seat or 2 if anyone is in need of a ride through the Carolinas. I am tent camping at most stops so must fend for yourself between rides.

• Forum MVP
15 hours ago, Biz-NJ said:

Heading to NOLA for Jazzfest by way of last leg of this tour. Picking up in Asheville, NC and hitting all shows through Savannah, GA. Jumping on the AT for a week after that, but I have a seat or 2 if anyone is in need of a ride through the Carolinas. I am tent camping at most stops so must fend for yourself between rides.

Jazz fest is a big time. We chose the 8pm-5am schedules instead of the actual fest. The hard part is figuring out who you will see. Frenchman’s street is loaded with so many insane collaborations, it’s hard to make a choice. For example the werks were playing upstairs and guys from lettuce with a few other all stars were playing downstairs in the same club. Then the next club down has the meters with aaron Neville. 

Heres the grids. This site is epic. Now the choice between the 30 collaborations a night. http://www.jazzfestgrids.com/first_weekend/

• Forum MVP

Lmao. I released my 3 bedroom house rental on Frenchman’s when I found out there was no Dso/JRAD 1st weekend. Axial tilt would have done the job. It’s always great when u get no notice....

i booked that place during last jazzgrst to make sure I got the exact place in the exact location I wanted. Grrr

• Forum MVP

That Friday has galactic, axial, voodoo dead, trey and 2 more id see if no other shows. It’s like a bonnaroo 5 stages with only bands we’d see. 

Fuck it. I can’t do weekend 1 but I’m game for weekend 2. 2 jrad shows plus a late night smorgasbord. Who’s in. I don’t mind going 4-5 deep suburbs and just Uber. No good spots left in the quarter. I’ve watched The reasonable Airbnb’s dwindle with the $400 a night ones left.  FYI our friends on Decatur with the epic balcony moved to Boulder so that is out..... That place was EPIC!!

• Forum MVP

So Wanee is out for this year. Too many events that weekend, buuuttttt NOLA is in!!!! Maybe I should start training my liver now. My  23rd anniversary present- a return to our honeymoon spot. Gonna check out fast GD with weird transitions and late night jam on.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

So guess I’m gonna rail rat this tour. I’ll be in a fucking leg boot. 8 shows. 10 days. Fucking boot. Half the fun is dancing as well as half the buzz. I’ll miss the runners high and sweating out the toxicity of life. Fuck. Well I guess now with my parents doing the Wilmington show, they won’t know im a complete dance freak. My stepdad saw the dead play at the village theater in 66/67 as his only dead show. He was more of a Who/zep/Stones guy. He said he was a sophomore in high school. I’m like wow that would have been cool even though it’s a completely different style than just a few years later. 66 would be a tough year for me to instantly connect with the dead vs when I listened to Europe 72 or even live dead. 

• Forum MVP
On 2/20/2018 at 11:06 PM, Michael Doc Watson said:

Hitting the road in April is for sure. I'll just have to pick up another pair like Steph and Jess to navigate thru the Carolinas and point me to the correct city.

Looking more and more likely, dear! He just got me a 96 Mercedes benz- high class hobos that we are, but I would love to park it and ride w ya! We will work it out as it gets closer- need to figure out something for Jesse as his heel is shattered and he has crutches and no wheelchair currently. Our broken but fixable 70s RV is in Charleston and we may wanna run by and get it towed to a camp site or storage place...... southeast tour has been great for our Tennessee River Gas Jug Band- we did Tennessee, Alabama, SC and Georgia hard! Wrapping it up now and headed to grab kids for spring break week and then we down for DSO tour (Birmingham loves our music so we may do more than Jesse "wants") hehehe- 

see y'all there! Can't wait! Kiss kiss

• Forum MVP
16 hours ago, Rude said:

So guess I’m gonna rail rat this tour. I’ll be in a fucking leg boot. 8 shows. 10 days. Fucking boot. Half the fun is dancing as well as half the buzz. I’ll miss the runners high and sweating out the toxicity of life. Fuck. Well I guess now with my parents doing the Wilmington show, they won’t know im a complete dance freak. My stepdad saw the dead play at the village theater in 66/67 as his only dead show. He was more of a Who/zep/Stones guy. He said he was a sophomore in high school. I’m like wow that would have been cool even though it’s a completely different style than just a few years later. 66 would be a tough year for me to instantly connect with the dead vs when I listened to Europe 72 or even live dead. 

Wilmington can be family show- my actual brother has tickets for him n his wife they bought when they went on sale so he could bribe me into hanging out! And the rail is the tits, be excited!!! Sound may not be best, but seeing all their lil cues and how much fun they having is wonderful! 

• Forum MVP
20 hours ago, Island Bro said:

Why do you need the leg boot? I suspect it will slow you down in some ways but WON'T get in the way of full throttle enjoyment of the music and making use of whatever mobility you got available.

Bevause it feels like my heel bone is hanging by a thread onto my ankle bone. Too much high intensity dancing on older legs. Smoking cigarettes isn’t helping. Gotta give that up or dancing. I have zero stability and the ankle brace isn’t keeping my foot immobilized. Come to think of it, my feet were becoming more and more unstable over the last year and I was in pain during the bobby Phil show and at the afterparty I lost all support and turned the ankle. A local buddy thinks I should rethink my summer toUr plans. Doesn’t think I’ll be healed by then.... 19 Dso, 2 jrad and 2 deadco next 105 days and all in jeopardy. Guess I gotta make life changes. Ill start with robotic knees and feet. 

Imagine...Bobby and Phil accoustic duo show behind seats was the show that did me in. I was fine all of the insane Dso dance parties. Bobby Phil duo was the one.  

Archived