Spring Dso Jerry band song ideas

Rude

• Forum MVP

With Dso doing an unprecedented Jerry band run of shows I thought it would be fun for us to throw out a few Jerry band songs that we would love to hear.  I’m also guessing we have a shot at a few recreations which I don’t know if Dso has ever done for Jerry band. 

Tupelo honey—only played once by Jerry which seems strange since it’s a great song and to learn it and never play it again is so weird. 

Magnificent sanctuary band. Never played live by Jerry or Dso. 

Whole set Don’t let go. Make some history. NYT front page headline “DSO does 1 hour 15 minute Don’t let go, playing a 1 song 1st set”

....and pretty much anything in the 71-75 Garcia/Saunders catalog. How many songs did they do. I’ve seen whole shows where I barely recognized anything.  They did a ton of 1 timers.  They went DEEEEEP. 

I bet they did 500+ different songs in the early 70’s. They did like 600? shows together in total. 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Rude said:

Whole set Don’t let go. Make some history. NYT front page headline “DSO does 1 hour 15 minute Don’t let go, playing a 1 song 1st set”

I'm down with your Don't Let Go idea. Sandwich it up if necessary, but that would be really cool. 

• Forum MVP

Wasn’t it like a 38 minute playin. I know there’s a 27 minute don’t let go which I think was the longest Jerry band song ever but I’m sure I’m wrong because I’m just guessing. 

• Forum MVP

I couldn’t wait- lol!

5/21/74 contains a 46+ minute PITB

5/11/72 The Rotterdam Dark Star clocks in at a cool 48:38 - classic post 1970

8/28/69 says 64 minute Dark Star!  Never listened to this one - time to remedy

• Forum MVP

I hunk Rude just wants to clear the dance floor to accommodate his crutches . 

Herea a question - 

at what point in the epic Don’t Let Go does the split between the casual and the faithful Deadhead split and the crowd thins?  25 min? 29?

• Forum MVP
27 minutes ago, PoetryGirl said:

I hunk Rude just wants to clear the dance floor to accommodate his crutches . 

Herea a question - 

at what point in the epic Don’t Let Go does the split between the casual and the faithful Deadhead split and the crowd thins?  25 min? 29?

I’d say 25 - the beer + bathroom lines would extend.  After all, some attendees need refills to spill on dancers.

• Forum MVP

Dear Prudence, Tough Mama, Lonesome and Long way from Home, Midnight Midlight, Get Out  of My Life

And an organ heavyThe Night They Drive Old Dixie Down in the Holy City of Charleston (because all the churches, although some say it is where the Ashely and the Cooper Rivers join to form the Atlantic) , where Fort Sumter was seized  by Federal Troops putting a squeeze hold on the South’s major port - while Senators were held waiting to speak to Lincoln about the high tariffs being imposed on the South - BEFORE the war started on April 14, 1861.

• Forum MVP

I’m guessing there will be a few recreations of setlists, probably more originals and likely Jerry dead songs that Jerry band didn’t play. I’d guess as long as Jerry sang the song, we got a shot to hear it. I also wouldn’t doubt that we will get barraco doing a little singing but regardless the B3 will get serious use for a few weeks. I’m not a Jerry band expert but wasn’t the only time to not feature organ in the late 70s between merl and Melvin. 

I'm on the fence on coming down to Baltimore to see them without Eaton. Their only gig I can make before May, four hours from home. Gotta drive back that night to see the Easter bunny the next day. Was planning on it before yesterday's announcement, and I think it would be a unique chance to see the band do something different. I'm sure I'll be kicking myself if I don't go. 

I am doing Baltimore and DC and would love to hear Keepers, what are your thoughts on Rob Barraco on that?  I think he would do it justice with the heavy organ.  Also, One Kind Favor and Think.  

Archived