Everyone gets a turn, I’ll start...

DesertDead

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

3/31/87, bobby kills that line and the tune. At the end of the song, bobby walks away from the mic. Jerry laughs, lays out the beginning riff of Don't ease me in. Bobby had to run back to the mic to participate in the vocals. It was really funny. You had to be there.

2 hours ago, Greg from Chestertown said:

3/31/87, bobby kills that line and the tune. At the end of the song, bobby walks away from the mic. Jerry laughs, lays out the beginning riff of Don't ease me in. Bobby had to run back to the mic to participate in the vocals. It was really funny. You had to be there.

Yes!  3/31/87 was one of my earliest GD exposures.  I am from philly and there was a live FM broadcast that my older brother recorded.  I got a hold of it.  I had that tape on my Walkman my while cutting the lawn that entire summer!  That Desolation Row is the one that made me love that song. 

2 hours ago, Mojo Hand said:

I received you letter yesterday, about the time the doorknob broke. You asked me how I was doing. Is that some kind of a joke. 

I am not a very metaphorical thinker and have a very difficult time understanding poetry or lyrics that are not straight-forward.  At one point, I read through one person's interpretation of the Desolation row lyrics (I forget who that person was, but I remember that it was someone who held some credibility).  The reference about the "doorknob breaking" is another way of expressing......."everything is going wrong, and now even the doorknob broke and I can't get into my house.  What else could go wrong!"  Which then makes me understand why it would be a joke when she asks how he is doing.

Correct interpretation or not.......Dylan is just so amazing!

• Forum MVP

Yea, 3/31/87 was the third night and in a row for me. I sat down halfway through the second set, turned to my buddy and said 'I can't do this anymore'. Too exhausted to dance. That's when I realized the power and the energy of the Grateful Dead. By the way, I believe Dark Star Orchestra surpasses that level. That was the day they released 'in the dark', touch of Grey. Earlier in the parking lot my buddy and I were commenting on how the crowd that night was all kids.(we were 25 at the time) if you ask me, that's when touch heads were born. I'm Not claiming to be better, I 'm just saying.

Archived