Bad acid trip

John A

• Forum MVP

Just do the oxygen mixing yourself. Several deep breaths before then your NO. Don’t overdo it. Blow out then take in oxygen. Never breathe in and out into balloon or hold your breath excessively unless u are looking to go out. Plus flooding your blood with o2 before will keep your oxygen levels where you can enjoy without the detrimental later effects caused by going in and out for hours at a time. Next day headaches and weakness is common if you mess your blood gasses up by not keeping your blood oxygenated. When I do the deep breaths before and after I don’t get any of the ill effects of No. not much worse than an already mixed tank of o2 and no. Boring ;) 

• Forum MVP

Advice like Rudd just spoke is hopefully good for those that intend on tring nitrous ...I wouldn't know the details and have no idea if what he says is accurate but at least it sounds reasonable.  Better to hear advice rather than jump in breathing too hard.

But please understand that nitrous can be dangerous in  various  ways.  It's possible to over do it and pass out or worse due to lack of oxygen.  Also some of the people selling balloons can be troublesome.  In some cases they are known as "Nitrous Nazies" because they sometimes practice very mean business and can be violent.  A few years ago there were many posts and action to try to remove this troublesome element from our community.

Peace and Love,

Doc

• Forum MVP

I once called a medical supply lab and told them I worked for a dentist and that we needed a nitrous tank for an emergency procedure.  I asked them if I could come pick one up and they reluctantly said, “Sure”.  

So I did.  

• Forum MVP
21 hours ago, Rude said:

not much worse than an already mixed tank of o2 and no. 

I’ll just refute this simply by saying tanks don’t come already mixed. Impossible due to the inequality of molecular weight. 

the advice not to breath in and out of the balloon pure nitrous oxide is good; otherwise, the rest is based on conjectural thinking, not physical chemistry and physiology. 

• Forum MVP

Phil and friends, Camden, late nineties. I bring along a couple to introduce them to the Grateful Dead scene. Pre show turns into a balloon fest in the parking lot. The girl takes a big gulp of a balloon, smiles at me and then bends over at the waist starting to fall. Trying to catch herself, she starts to run, bent over, across the parking lot which had a slight downhill slope. After about thirty feet, she ends up head butting the drivers door of a mid sized sedan. True story. That is why I say if you must do balloons, sit down. As a matter of fact, lay down. Otherwise, it’s like texting and driving.

• Forum MVP

Back to bad acid trips, at petty/Dylan/dead rfk in 86 I walked up to the medical tent and thought it was a tiny little tent, like for ants and I crouched down on my knees to look in and see what was going on. THEY thought I was on a bad acid trip, but I thought everything was weird and cool. 

• Forum MVP
9 hours ago, PoetryGirl said:

I’ll just refute this simply by saying tanks don’t come already mixed. Impossible due to the inequality of molecular weight. 

the advice not to breath in and out of the balloon pure nitrous oxide is good; otherwise, the rest is based on conjectural thinking, not physical chemistry and physiology. 

I’ve had super weak nitrous several times. Assume these sketch chemical places like the dude that supplied the nitrous mafia added compressed air to the mix. I mean NO is NO. There’s no strengths to it. Only way it’s weaker would have to be dillution or am I off?

• Forum MVP

Ah I see what you mean. 

See I mix it chairside. And 50/50 is safest mix before the chorionic movements set in, marking the scary place right before general anesthesia. That is why ether was used preferentially until other G.A. developed. Too unpredictable 

• Forum MVP
45 minutes ago, PoetryGirl said:

See I mix it chairside.

Just to let some of you know,  the Poet is a dentist and has professional knowledge and probably knows more about this and everything else than all of us combined.

Peace and Love,

Doc

• Forum MVP
4 hours ago, gr8fulpair said:

Back to bad acid trips, at petty/Dylan/dead rfk in 86 I walked up to the medical tent and thought it was a tiny little tent, like for ants and I crouched down on my knees to look in and see what was going on. THEY thought I was on a bad acid trip, but I thought everything was weird and cool. 

Now that's funny!

I was at that show too.....can you say HOT ?!

• Forum MVP

Just a thought. Could the weak nitrous be a result of ambient air temperature? Dispensing over and over again on a really hot day? If I remember correctly, (which doesn’t always happen) I thought I saw cold rain and snow forming on the valve of the tank. I’m not sure, it wasn’t even this century. 

6 hours ago, helpfrankslip said:

I wonder if there might be a few vials of bears doses in a freezer somewhere, god what i might give for the trip that stuff gave you because I'm pretty sure nothing since could even come close

You would think there has to be some squirreled away somewhere. Supposedly Oteil Burbridge was high on Bear's product from a hidden stash for a show last summer. I was talking to a younger person last summer at Hampton beach who said he had Bear's and it was the best he had. I would think a lot of that could be psychological and dose dependent, if the compound is the exact same. I have never had solid enough connections to experiment with different batches, etc, as some probably have had the chance to. It has always for me has been chance run ins and restocking opportunities at shows or festivals, unknown dosage and source (besides what the guy tells me). 

• Forum MVP

I do not have any experiance in acid production but reasonably knowagble in other organic chemistry.  When making organic compounds there can be a lot of side reactions that make trace amounts of other simular compounds. Those little extras can change the properties of the whole solution. A good chemist likeThe Bear and his lady assistances know how to control the production for better results

On 3/25/2018 at 11:14 PM, acududeman said:

Now that's funny!

I was at that show too.....can you say HOT ?!

Oh, I recall it was almost too hot to dance, even after the sun went down! Seeing Dylan come out in head-to-toe in brown leather gave many folks a chuckle, as it was easily 95 degrees! I thought the Dylan/Tom Petty performances sounded muddled, whereas the Dead sounded much cleaner and louder. It was my 22nd birthday that day (7/6/86), and I had a blast, albeit very sweaty time, and must have lost several pounds that day.

13 hours ago, Hardpan said:

You would think there has to be some squirreled away somewhere. Supposedly Oteil Burbridge was high on Bear's product from a hidden stash for a show last summer. I was talking to a younger person last summer at Hampton beach who said he had Bear's and it was the best he had. I would think a lot of that could be psychological and dose dependent, if the compound is the exact same. I have never had solid enough connections to experiment with different batches, etc, as some probably have had the chance to. It has always for me has been chance run ins and restocking opportunities at shows or festivals, unknown dosage and source (besides what the guy tells me). 

I remember once back in the late 80's a friend came to cali from Boston and he had these very clean doses but even though you didn't have the agitated feeling I've sometimes felt i never really experienced any mind altering thought provoking trip which from what I've read were the kind of trips people took back then. If i could go back to the late 60's not only would i see the boys first but get a chance to experience that trip, in fact the human be in would be the perfect place and time

• Forum MVP

I made a lot of money on tour standing next to nitrous fucks screaming, "buy something built to last!" With those sexy airbrush Jerry tees my buddy made for me n the deviled egg back in the day. Y'all got some. Still wear em. I was right ;)

also..... I just played music to get a hotel outta the rain and we played music outside our room and dude gave us almost what we paid for the room as tips.

still in awe of the experience of actually playing music. And we do some old traditionals y'all know like GDTRFB and know you rider ;) so next time we hotel party, long as u don't request FOTD we gotcha ;)

last night I made the sound of a chug a chug a train with my mando for the first time and it was fucking orgasmic. The next time wasn't as exciting but sounded better....

but that first time catching it.... omg omg omg!!!! 

i think we gonna just play outside the bus on the street corner before and after show this tour. Jesse can't fucking walk and has crutches but no wheel chair so u know imma be a dancin fool w all y'all this run- while hustling beers over to him in the smoking area. Better than my asthma attacks and pneumonia last southern spring tour. I got the southern hack but I will be better by tour ;)

how the fuck did I end up w a dirty rainbow kid that plays banjo and sitar and talks shit on deadheads? Maybe cause I'm really just a Star Head this time round and I make it to shows as a shameless beggar. Weird science.

Kiss kiss. Love y'all more than words can tell :)

• Forum MVP

The too hot to dance never occurred to me in my youth. I don’t remember ever drinking water during a show. Did they even have bottled water in mid 90s?  I don’t think that was really a thing yet. We were all prob in much better shape. Went outside vs phone staring, that’s for sure 

• Forum MVP

Speaking of the mind and its nature, here is great article I enjoyed for you philosophical types. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/04/02/the-mind-expanding-ideas-of-andy-clark/amp

i particularly like the concept of all minds using external scaffolding, the form doesn’t matter. Just different expressions of the function. 

Archived