Dixie

Don’t let go 

Bertha 

From the heart of me (Lisa)

What a wonderful world 

The maker 

Not fade

Bobbby McGee (Tanya)

this is is a junkie setlist?  Wtf. This is an awesome setlist. Simple twist, waiting on a miracle?  Wtf wtf. This may be the wrong band if this setlist is only for junkies. This shit pisses me off. If I ever thought Dso just phoned it in, I just wouldn’t say a word. I wouldn’t disparage them publicly. That being said I think they give it every night. These guys hustle and give us long well played shows and to make these comments baffles me. The world may not be what you want it to be now but don’t take it out on the band or the music. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP

Dead tickets were way harder to come by than JGB tickets when the bus first came by my way in 77...but roommate in college convinced me to see Jerry band many times cause you get in the first 10 rows easy for like $6.50...AND SEE JERRY!!!!

In retrospect.....smart, very smart

• Like (+1) 3
  • Forum MVP

$10.00 a show at The Stone right before the Chinese New Years shows in 1987. Sat and Sun. only convinced one other in our group to go out ahead. Damn well better believe those Stone shows blew doors off of the Civic Auditorium shows with GD later that week. $15.00 a show for the Wiltern later in 87 on Friday  March 13 and 14th. Two full sets in a place as big as a living room for $10.00, tell me Jerry didn't love to play. One of the most underrated aspects of JGB was John Kahn, the mighty KAHN!!!!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Forum MVP

Rude, you don't own the forums or the band or even, apparently, logic or an ability to actually read what I am saying. And u are still new to us. And u know what, I never saw Jerry and am not a deadhead I am just a silly unicorn star head that actually managed to piss you off and THAT is priceless. Good show to me :) I didn't say anything negative about DSO, I said how much fun I had, remember? just my opinions of the different textures of Jerry Band shows bc I have that vocabulary and conceptual awareness. How many people have you convinced to tour DSO? Glad I made you show your ass, cause someone needed to. Get a life, kid! (And sorry, Doc, for not just ignoring Rude, but with a name like his you would think he would have a thicker skin!!!)

Kiss kiss.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Forum MVP
2 hours ago, Supplicated Velvet Thunder said:

Rude, you don't own the forums or the band or even, apparently, logic or an ability to actually read what I am saying. And u are still new to us. And u know what, I never saw Jerry and am not a deadhead I am just a silly unicorn star head that actually managed to piss you off and THAT is priceless. Good show to me :) I didn't say anything negative about DSO, I said how much fun I had, remember? just my opinions of the different textures of Jerry Band shows bc I have that vocabulary and conceptual awareness. How many people have you convinced to tour DSO? Glad I made you show your ass, cause someone needed to. Get a life, kid! (And sorry, Doc, for not just ignoring Rude, but with a name like his you would think he would have a thicker skin!!!)

Kiss kiss.

Rudes harmless and so are you.  We all love the same thing.  But....it's funny!!  

Hope we all can laugh at ourselves and realize, we all are here for the same thing.  We just have different twist.  Rude knows he's not the center of the world.  That is reserved for a Sun!!!  Haha.....

Good to hear you made this eastern run.  Glad y'all are keeping each other on your toes.  

Will be on my toes in Raleigh tommorow.  Hopefully with the modified 2 step to some cowboy music.  

Welcome back Eaton!!  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP

Last comment.....I have much respect for all y'all on the bus.  Many before me, and many will be after me.  However, I have always given respect to those who put their efforts in. Who have kept the flame lit while others gave up, others moved on, and others like.me who just did not know.  

Thanks to many of you all who started this over a decade ago.  Several decades.....your efforts are not forgotten here.  Your stories always a gift, and your continued presence a signal that we are built to last.  

With out live in the dream it will never come true.  Well all love...and the dream is real because of it!!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Forum MVP

I think what we have here is just an unfortunate choice of vocabulary on your part, Steph, as "junkie music" does feel like it has an unnecessarily bad connotation. 

That said, I think I know exactly what you refer to.  Although I prefer to call it "narcotic tinged".  When I think of that reference I'm usually thinking specifically of circa '79 through '82 JGB, where Jerry might play sets with as few as 4 or 5 songs that would all stretch to 15+ minutes. Much of this music is undoubtedly informed by his heroin use at that time.

Bottom line: at the end of the day, anyway you slice it the passion shown on these forums is both wonderful and infectious.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Forum MVP
18 hours ago, John A said:

I think what we have here is just an unfortunate choice of vocabulary on your part, Steph, as "junkie music" does feel like it has an unnecessarily bad connotation. 

That said, I think I know exactly what you refer to.  Although I prefer to call it "narcotic tinged".  When I think of that reference I'm usually thinking specifically of circa '79 through '82 JGB, where Jerry might play sets with as few as 4 or 5 songs that would all stretch to 15+ minutes. Much of this music is undoubtedly informed by his heroin use at that time.

Bottom line: at the end of the day, anyway you slice it the passion shown on these forums is both wonderful and infectious.

You live in the west (would say from but I don't remember if you from there or not!) and I just escaped the thin skinned west and had my first New England summer (southern girl that I am!) and I have developed a colorfully blunt and direct manner of communicating because of it :) no offense meant, but I don't exactly take shit like I used to ;) and like I said, I had the spoiled southern girl literally beat outta me a few years back and saw the deep dark that exists in the greater dead family and since those experiences I feel obliged to loudly proclaim love and light (especially for DSO bc we dont let it get dark on this side of the street bc we make the ice petal flowers go revolving and evolving!) and not the pretentious bullshit kind, but the kind that makes some people a bit uncomfortable bc it comes from going thru the realms of hell on earth. 

One of my buddies died 2 days ago from dope OD- not the first and won't be the last. But remember that Jerry quote (imma paraphrase lol) about it's not the guns or the drugs or the cops that fuck shit up, it's us.

remember, it's JUST US!

haha the mick jagger and Bowie version of dancin in the streets just came on the in mcdonalds I'm resting the car at and it reminds me of the moment I first GOT THE DEAD and fell in love with DSO during second set at my first show- ahhhhhh!

kiss kiss all over all your asses (dirty girl that I can't help being!) 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Forum MVP
On 4/13/2018 at 2:59 PM, John A said:

That said, I think I know exactly what you refer to.  Although I prefer to call it "narcotic tinged".  When I think of that reference I'm usually thinking specifically of circa '79 through '82 JGB, where Jerry might play sets with as few as 4 or 5 songs that would all stretch to 15+ minutes. .

First 3 songs second set were around 30-35 minutes to execute. Don’t think that is any different from GD sets. They started around 9:50- 10:20 or 10:25. By the end of the fourth we were sitting at 10:40pm. 

I think the label was wrong. Funny, I never watch the  clock but having been at these shows originally and listened to them on tape countless times. I was intrigued to see how long the songs would go. 

• Forum MVP

Everybody has some section of the music that they like less. Do we need to identify it negatively to justify our feelings? Everyone feels to some extent that their preferences and opinions make sense. What is being called "junkie music" (and is that for the listener or because you think Jerry was doing heroin in 76?) I think of as deep and reverent music, honoring and stretching out the moment. Fine if you don't like it but no need to brand it.

• Like (+1) 1