Savannah 4-17

Rude

• Forum MVP
Huntington Civic Center, Huntington, WV (4/16/78)

Jack Straw
Dire Wolf
Cassidy
Peggy-O
Mexicali Blues
Mama Tried
They Love Each Other
New Minglewood Blues
Scarlet Begonias
Fire on the Mountain

Samson and Delilah
Ship of Fools
Estimated Prophet
Eyes of the World
drums
Iko Iko
Sugar Magnolia

U.S. Blues

F: Box

white rabbit 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Forum MVP

This was a pre Tea for Texas but early enough in 78 for a Scarlett fire. Was a tad confusing whether it was a recreation or not. 

The place got down. Was lots of room and when you give deadheads open carry booze and lots of space there’s gonna be a party. The gf helped carry an older lady out of the bar to her car who was wasted. If we didn’t need to head west, I feel like I should have gotten really drunk walking around all the squares with a bottle in my hand. Was a very drunk crowd but in a good way. It’s hard to explain. Was drunk Dancers not drunk talkers. The whole place just let loose. The percentage of Dancers who threw down completely was as high as I’ve ever seen it. It was Dso’s 1st show ever in Savannah and the people responded. Whoever was asking for a seedier area, this was easily the most shady I’ve ever been to a show in. They posted security across the street to watch a grass lot and the street where we parked. The gas station adjacent to the venue had burnt out cars that had been there for many years taking up a chunk of the lot. But...we hung out in this grass lot a few hours before the show in the most glorious weather ever. I was joking that the people slowly cruising by us inspecting us were like “this neighborhood is going to shit ;)”. Security kept an eye on us not for doing anything but to make sure we weren’t shot.  We were thinking The stage on Bay was going to have boats behind it in a fancy area. It was actually abbreviated from the long name of the Stage in Bay Street projects. All that silliness being said, it was a blast for all involved. No one was hassled. Security helped wasted people to cars. You get a vibe of every city you visit and this town had that vibe of every night 1 person in a group will have to be carried out of the bars and no one thinks twice about this. I wish I could have gotten drunk walking around but alas I kicked it past Atlanta to motivate home. 

What a fun run. I’m filled with awesome vibes. My cup runneth over. See many of you at jubilee and a few of you sooner. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Forum MVP

Question for you dead computers. I thought t for Texas started mid/late 78 so when I heard the Fire but no t for Texas minglewood I thought early 78, but read something that t for Texas wasn’t sung until August 79. I could swear it was 78 they started that verse. 

This was also the 2nd 40yr show this tour even though off by a day and was told Wilmington was supposed to be another 40yr show(to do 3 straight 40yr shows) but the storm that luckily stalled flipped it to a 73 style original. 

• Forum MVP

T for Texas is a verse in the so called "All New Minglewood Blues" (as opposed to the New Minglewood Blues which dates to 1966) that The Dead recorded for the Shakedown Street album which was recorded in late summer of '78. So presumably T for Texas was in live versions by then.

Rude, now that you have a little more spare time, and every version of Minglewood at your finger tips, your assignment is to listen to them sequentially starting from 4-16-78 and report back as to when that verse appears.  :lol:

• Like (+1) 2
  • LMAO 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP

11/8/78 : first T for Texas lyric I  found played at the Capitol theater as the song stretched out from a consistent 5-6 min mark throughout the year to 9:28 min. 

From White Gum site:

John L Yarbro, Jr. sent me an email with additional background:

"New Minglewood Blues was originally written about a company mill village, Menglewood, Tennessee (built by the Menglewood Box Company) which my grandfather purchased along with the former woodlands in the 1920's, cleared and farmed. The property is still in my family. My father grew up in Menglewood, but it was a lot tamer after my grandfather moved his people there. Local history about Menglewood as a company town paint it as wild and wide open with whiskley, women and gambling. Menglewood is located about 78 miles north of Memphis, Tennessee, alongside the Obion River which is in the Mississippi River floodplain."
  • Like (+1) 1