Earth Day 2018

PoetryGirl

• Forum MVP

Happy Earth Day! This year’s theme is ending plastic pollution. Say no to straws. Find places that will use your to go containers. It seems overwhelming but we are in a sea of plastic that is polluting our seas. Here is a link to the Earth Day founder’s call to action. 

https://www.ecowatch.com/earth-day-2018-denis-hayes-2561473004.html

Amazon has organic bamboo straws and stainless steel ones too! 

I will  be dancing at our local celebration a hula called E Ku’u Sweet Lei that anchors the energy of your kuleana or responsibility to oneself.  Also teaching Ka Uhane Nui which celebrates the elements of the Earth and the breath of life with humble heart created when a kumu in my lineage visited the Native Americans and was inspired by the common respect for our Earth. 

Cheers! 

Yes.     Happy Earth Day.  Be sure to take a moment to honor the earth today.....as there is a possibility this could be the last time we celebrate a day that enhances awareness and encourages action and participation.

Look out for the next in a series of completely ridiculous Presidential Proclamations.  "I Donald Trump, hereby change the name of Earth Day to National Go F**K Yourself Earth Day.  On this special day, all Americans are encouraged to fill up your gas tank, dump a bottle bleach in your local stream, stop riding your bike to work and purchase a real vehicle you poor sucker, throw your recycling into the trash bin, tell a kid that science is fake, throw your trash in the street, and watch Sean Hannity." 

P.S.  Should any Americans feel motivated to take action and become involved, we really can't help you as the EPA has been abolished.   

• Forum MVP

Interesting show I saw on climate change. Graphs of CO2 levels for the past 60 years measured at Marina Loa correlate with trapped CO2 levels released and measured from ice cores taken at Antarctica. They have extended that graph measuring changes for the past 800,000 years, depicting rises and falls in CO2 levels. However, nothing in the record matches the high levels of CO2 we have now. The temperature record derived from ocean floor samples that look at shells’ growth also closely correlated with the CO2 graphs. This consistent match through thousands of years gives a picture that yes, increases in CO2 cause increased temps. However, we haven’t experienced quite the repercussions you’d expect from our production. Why? The trees are a huge repository for excess CO2, absorbing great quantities. The ocean is absorbing the heat. 3000 Dara diving  robotis have been deployed that descend to 3k then 6k and slowly resurface gathering a myriad of data. In the South Seas ocean water appears to surface having been in currents on the ocean floor since the Industrial Revolution. This super cool water is our heat sink. It has already absorbed the 18 1/2 degrees the Earth should have warmed by now.  How much long can we stress our planet without some change? The weather will give that report. 

They estimate the Earth is giving us 50% reduction. We have to figure out how to meet Mother Earth half way. 

• Forum MVP

I saw that show too, Poetry. I couldn’t help but think of all the trees we cut down since we came to America. That might have something to do with CO2 levels. I’m a self employed gardener living in a predominantly agricultural county bordered by the Sassafras and Chester rivers and the Chesapeake bay. Some of the longest continually farmed land in the country. The same population as at the end of the civil war. So, yea, we depend on Mother Nature to get by around here. Let it grow. Happy Earth Day.

• Forum MVP
4 hours ago, 2muchfun said:

The earth will survive us even if we cause another mass extinction. After all there have been several and we wouldn't be here without them. So shake your bones...

They should call it Human day. The earth will survive regardless but we may not. 

• Forum MVP
On April 20, 2018 at 3:55 PM, BillK522 said:

We have made quite a mess in the

last 200 years.

Ted may have been on to something.

Think global Act local.

Praise DSO

200 years of CO2 levels is like only using 1995 to evaluate GD.

Look at 2000, no 20,000 no 20,000,000,000 and more years back. The  CO2 data... and levels will surprise you. Besides...the corn is a number crop. But I digress

praise DSO....that's always right

Archived