6.11.93 - recreation at Jubilee

Teacher Matt

• Forum MVP

from DSO Jubilee Facebook page this show will be performed at Jubilee ... did not say what night ... but 6.11.93 was a Friday night if that holds any salt 

It was held on the same grounds then called Buckeye Lake ... it was a sick show ...as I recall it was held in a heavy rain ?? ..  Eyes 2nd set opener ..... I did just about that entire summer '93 tour ...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

1994 was the rain year with Traffic opening.  Sting opened in 1993 if I recall correctly which was the final straw that got Dan Healy ousted.

This one just smoked outta the gate with a Foolish > Jack Straw.  It seemed to mellow out a bit until the closing salvo of So Many Roads > Promised.  That Eyes to open the 2nd set was really nice and provided some evidence that Jerry was indeed feeling better.

Not a fan of pre-announcements but I completely understand why.

• Forum MVP

Jack Straw, Foolish Heart, The Same Thing, Lazy River Road, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues, When I Paint My Masterpiece, So Many Roads, Promised Land

Eyes Of The World-> Playin' In The Band-> Uncle John's Band-> Corinna-> Drums-> Jam-> The Wheel-> All Along The Watchtower-> Black Peter-> Sugar Magnolia, E: Brokedown Palace

a note  from archive- 

“Listed To Philbert getting explicit ‘if your thinking bout getting silly ya better get on the f**# back where ya came’.”

• Forum MVP

They should let us know the night. Plan our party. Not sure I want to shoot my load on the 93. I’m sure DSO will crush it but pretty sure a different night be more to my liking. Although can’t go wrong with an eyes 2nd set opener. 

• Forum MVP
4 minutes ago, Island Bro said:

Has DSO played 'The Same Thing' before?

They have but not in a while.  I didnt realize they have played several 93 shows before.  For some reason I thought 92 was the deepest they went.

• Forum MVP
1 hour ago, Mason's Child said:

They should let us know the night. Plan our party. Not sure I want to shoot my load on the 93. I’m sure DSO will crush it but pretty sure a different night be more to my liking. Although can’t go wrong with an eyes 2nd set opener. 

Ive learned not to judge a book on its cover when it comes to recreations.  Some of my favs have been 90s shows.  I never knew you were so much of a planner at Jubilee.  Let me know the night you plan to shoot that load so I can wear rain gear just in case you are in firing distance.  Too bad its not the 94 show so we could get that Samba.  Samba!! Samba!! Samba!!  You know...that song starts to grow on you.  JK. That song is horrible the 1st and 100th time you hear it, but not sure who would listen to that song 100 times.  Ive heard it on tape like 5x and thats enough for me.  I dont like to make these type of absolute statements about grateful dead songs, but Samba is just plain bad.  I get that Jerry wanted more of a break, and to get Vince to sing a song so Jerry could take a break was important, but come on.......Its the type of original you would hear from some 2 person band in bad lounge and you would be like I see why they are in this grimy lounge, not to make fun of artists that play in front of 3 people, as they would probably hear samba and be like we are better than this song no matter how little talent we have playing for warm bud light.  If samba was on your demo tape, people would be like no thanks and likely get a restraining order prohibiting further contact. If Axl Rose played it, the 1000 groupies would put their tops back on and be like lets just be friends.  As long as dso doesnt recreate outdoor 94-95 dead shows that it was raining at we will be ok.  I dont want to be at DSO's 1st time played of Samba. 

Edit: I would be curious to hear Barraco's take on singing on Samba(For 30 secs).  Would barraco channel Vince's voice?  Now that is a hard one.  Id bet they would toss that one to Skip and Skip would throw out some threats and the band would be not speaking to each other for a few days.  Its best to just never talk about that song again.  Sorry I brought it up.  There really arent many songs DSO has completely avoided.

• Forum MVP
5 hours ago, PoetryGirl said:

Archive says Marshall Tucker Band opened.

Really?  I am confused now.  Marshall Tucker band?  I musta missed the opener - LOL!  Am I crazy - I thought Sting opened multiple shows the summer of 1993.  I'm 100% that he opened at Giants Stadium and pretty sure Solider Field too.  A little foggy methinks......

• Forum MVP
10 minutes ago, Island Bro said:

On the mid-90's tangent,,I would love to see DSO do Rain....and also I think Tomorrow Never Knows could be really cool

Of my limited action, I saw Rain and Samba 2x.  I don't think Rain really works like so many others as dead songs.  I think a song needs a good funky beat for the dead to make it their own and some bands dont really cross over to dead tunes.  Dylan was great.  Van morrison was another that worked well.  Beatles and stones........not so much at least to me.  I think its all about the dance beat.  Probably the least favorite non dead song that was also a major hit to hear dso do for me is revolution.  The drummers cant really play with it.  Compare that to a Mr charlie or easy wind where the drummers are performing a dance and have so many options.  But then again, the drums are what drives the dead for me.  I look at my dance as a percussion dance where im playing a silent drum so I really thrive on off beat drumming and the whimsical flamming of the 2 drummers.

On a funny note, the ticket used to promote the 6-11-93 show in the email says $1.50 parking included in price.  Imagine today parking being included in anything and venue associated parking being less than $30-$60.  It also said no camping but in 94 we slept in the car until dawn when security started banging on windows to leave.  Today it would be cops ripping your car apart if you were sleeping in your car in a major venue lot.  Unfortunately I didn't truly discover the dead until I was 22yrs old.  I try not to have regrets but this is one of them.  After doing tour with gr8fulpair a few weeks ago and hearing all the crazy stories of camping downtown in major cities and other things we will never see again because of our police state, I yearn for these simpler times that I missed out on.  Ive messed up lots of shit in my life, but I regret not finding out about the live dead scene until it was almost over.  When you finally have this epiphany that this is your thing and this is where you fit in and you are going to plan your recreation around this band and a month later Jerry dies.........Fuck.  I didnt know at the time, unlike all of you tour heads, that that was it for the dead.  Its nuts that I dont regret my insanity in the late 90's and early 00's but this is where my regrets lie.

• Forum MVP

I think Sting just opened the stadium gigs.

Buckeye Lake was a weird venue. I only saw the '88 show, so maybe they transformed the place, but the ground literally sloped. If you were in front of Brent then you were higher than if you were in front of Phil.  WTF?

Beyond that, there was a high fence on Phil's side separated the venue from somebody's back yard.  It looked like those folks were having a backyard BBQ while taking in the scene. 

• Forum MVP

I’ve always planned at festivals. Sometimes with better luck than others but I plan on shelter, bringing enough smoke, food, and water. I’m usually on some kind of 2, 4, 10 plan. I wasn’t judging this book by its cover. I know DSO will crush it but often at Jubilee. They play my book. My bible. I’d be unhappy if I was totally out there for the 93 and then the next night half buzzed they open dark star flow into st Stephen enter into the eleven and dive into the lovelight. 

• Forum MVP

43 minutes ago, John A said:

I think Sting just opened the stadium gigs.

Buckeye Lake was a weird venue. I only saw the '88 show, so maybe they transformed the place, but the ground literally sloped. If you were in front of Brent then you were higher than if you were in front of Phil.  WTF?

Beyond that, there was a high fence on Phil's side separated the venue from somebody's back yard.  It looked like those folks were having a backyard BBQ while taking in the scene. 

It still has a weird slope.  The right side of the stage, now concrete is several feet lower than the left side.  There was a pic i saw a few years ago that showed the venue 25 years ago.  The pine trees along the 1st ridge were 10 feet tall just recently planted.  The worst part was trying to leave.  You had to walk up the mud slope and without the chain of people holding hands you werent getting up it.  The grass was 100% gone and it was just slick hard clay.  That side slope behind where the vendors are now is hard enough to scale dry and with grass.  The rain year it was literally impossible.  People were sliding down it until people created a chain to get up.  It was very surreal considering we werent seeing things "normally" but the 20 or so chains of people going up would move as people would fall and move the chain side to side but from my recollection the chains held even with slippage and we all got out of there.  It was definitely one of those moments that exemplify a GD crowd...strangers helping strangers.  Of course the other completely GD thing was all the gate crashers but they were all let in peacefully as the gate was like a 2 foot plastic temporary gate that really anyone could just step over.  From my recollection, security did nothing to stop people from entering.  I heard people claim that 100k people were inside the venue, but that seems a little high but I know it was packed.  We couldnt even get halfway towards the front it was so packed so we went 30 feet from a PA put up halfway to the top and we were in well before Traffic started playing.  That was my 1st GD show in 94 and we partied for 16 hours.  The thought of arriving at noon and walking nonstop until 4am now sounds like torture but it was so new and so fun, my 22yr old self loved every second.  The 1thing I dont recall is drinking any water all day and it was hot as balls.  I dont think we needed water in those days.  How did you get water?  There werent plastic bottles yet or were there?.  I dont remember any hoses to drink out of on lot.  Maybe we just drank beer.  About that I am completely fuzzy but I dont ever remember drinking water ever at a show.  Now I need min half a gallon to survive and at times a whole gallon during a show.

• Forum MVP

Love this tread…all my friends, brothers and sister…some good Southern Rock…history…memories…reviews of a DSO show yet to occur…excitement building for the Jubilee…predictions of Rain..Another chapter of Rudd’s life explained…”Can't You See"

• Forum MVP

The list of "never seen a 90's recreation" surprises me. 

Most times, if you had seen the original the saying goes DSO did it better.

If lucky, get to shake bones with Lisa for a few bars as she soaks up some of the crowd perspective of the band playing.

• Forum MVP

From what I’ve noticed and this may not be true at all is early mid 90’s the dead started being more intentionally psychsdelic tgan they were even in the late 80s. Seems like they do some really weird shit. Note that boards are no substitute for hearing how they “move” the sound around when live. An experienced person who heard the dead mid 80s through the end could prob answer that better. I have heard shows that I’m like wow whoever was on the board was feeling frisky constantly moving the sound right an left, spacial to not. Sometimes it’s to the point of is this actually making the music better or are you just ducking with it to melt faces to now it’s gettkng ridiculous. 

Archived