6.11.93 - recreation at Jubilee

Teacher Matt

• Forum MVP

Fall '93 at MSG Edie Brickell was onstage chanting during space, while Healy was doing all sorts of insane shit with his rear channel toys. My buddy Jeff Silberman taped that show in a 4 channel encoding format called Ambisonics that captures a true 360 degree soundfield using a special microphone with a complex array of figure 8 pick ups. Listening to that on his Ambisonic playback system was a revelation. Needless to say no other recordings were made of the Dead that were anything like the few Ambisonic tapes Jeff made.

The sad part was how compromised the music sounded relative to the openness of the space segment when they went into The Wheel and the soundfield just collapsed into 2 dimensions.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

Rude, I want to party with you cowboy.

The two of us together, forget it.

Samba became a symbol of band demise for me,

although I made a point to dance crazy during it.

Jubilee on the horizon.

Praise DSO.

On 4/28/2018 at 11:09 AM, John A said:

Remember by the early 90s Healy had speaker stacks in the back of arena as well. So he could pan sounds around 360 degrees.  This was typically only used for drums>space.

John do you remember the earthquake benefit show at Oak coliseum when the sound went front to back, especially during drums in fact it sounded like an earthquake

• Forum MVP

My memories of the Earthquake Benefit are the sweet Garcia driven MIDI jam after Terrapin, and the fact that they didn't play California Earthquake, which they'd just broken out of the East Coast tour.

Earlier in this thread, was talk about the "rainy" Buckeye Lake show.  That was '94 when Traffic opened - not '93 (w/ Sting).  Traffic played Low Spark (eat your heart out Chuck) and finished with Rainmaker.  After the break, the boys started out with Rain.

• Forum MVP
12 hours ago, Mango said:

What, no Samba? I'm staying in Oregon.

Lots wont be here.  Half our core camping crew wont be attending.  This will more of a fest with the gf more than the big party it usually is.  Jubilee is always fun, but having 20 good friends camping with you adds a lot more to the event.

• Forum MVP
9 hours ago, Rude said:

Lots wont be here.  Half our core camping crew wont be attending.  This will more of a fest with the gf more than the big party it usually is.  Jubilee is always fun, but having 20 good friends camping with you adds a lot more to the event.

A painful end to a 9 yr run. Next yr starts a new run. Hope to beat the last. At least I'll have some representatives in attendance. 😊

• Forum MVP
On 5/2/2018 at 12:38 PM, Rude said:

Recreation Fri.

Meltdown elective Sat.

Bouncy 85 Sun.

Rude, Hope we can meet f2f.

Seems like we are of like minds

and would love to talk shop.

I'm camping in VIP.

Jubilee on the horizon.

Praise DSO.

• Forum MVP
4 hours ago, gr8fulpair said:

Rude is VERY easy to find in a crowd. Even a big crowd. Try not to confuse him with the girls on stilts. 

...don't forget those unique dance moves

• Forum MVP
On 5/4/2018 at 9:10 AM, 2muchfun said:

...don't forget those unique dance moves

After 4 days in Nola I said funk it. I’ll reinvent my funkin moves. The Grateful Dead is funky but this weekend I got that uncut funk and got funked up. I realized the dead lacked the number of members to be truly funktastic. Seeing 24 musicians funkin it up at once enlightened me. Aww yeah. 4 drummers, 5 guitars, 3 bass players, 2 organists plus horn players in every available inch of room opens a funkitudinal gateway that powers the mothership to deliver the proper dose of funkativity to make us move our bodies accordingly. You dig? 

• Forum MVP
39 minutes ago, Rude said:

After 4 days in Nola I said funk it. I’ll reinvent my funkin moves. The Grateful Dead is funky but this weekend I got that uncut funk and got funked up. I realized the dead lacked the number of members to be truly funktastic. Seeing 24 musicians funkin it up at once enlightened me. Aww yeah. 4 drummers, 5 guitars, 3 bass players, 2 organists plus horn players in every available inch of room opens a funkitudinal gateway that powers the mothership to deliver the proper dose of funkativity to make us move our bodies accordingly. You dig? 

Wasn't George Clinton at grateful fest at the ledges one year, or am I confused (highly likely)?

• Forum MVP
On 4/29/2018 at 1:27 AM, John A said:

Fall '93 at MSG Edie Brickell was onstage chanting during space, while Healy was doing all sorts of insane shit with his rear channel toys. My buddy Jeff Silberman taped that show in a 4 channel encoding format called Ambisonics that captures a true 360 degree soundfield using a special microphone with a complex array of figure 8 pick ups. Listening to that on his Ambisonic playback system was a revelation. Needless to say no other recordings were made of the Dead that were anything like the few Ambisonic tapes Jeff made.

The sad part was how compromised the music sounded relative to the openness of the space segment when they went into The Wheel and the soundfield just collapsed into 2 dimensions.

This is a fantastic effing post, John.

I’m still reading it over to ensure I digest it all.  I would so love to hear what it is that you’re describing with Jeff’s recording.  

Incidentally it was O2 out of space that night.  Edie stood there a bit but didn’t fully emerge until the GDTRFB.  Then she left for the Dew.  

We snuck whippets into this show in Taper Ted’s rig and went up to the very top row to do them during D/S.  You could walk a rhinoceros into that place if you were so inclined; security was one of 10,000 that come for the show at the Garden.

• Forum MVP

We did see George Clinton and P-funk Sunday but on Thursday Robert searight’s Sputacular Funkadelic extravaganza had 24 people on stage playing at blue nile. P-funk had around 14. Sput was one of the best drummers I’ve ever seen. Here’s a link to his funk playing. 

• Forum MVP
On 4/29/2018 at 1:27 AM, John A said:

Today's bike ride was 04/03/89 Pittsburgh Civic Center

The show was a Dead.com download, and I felt the

dimension crash as they moved into GSL,

Love the swirl.

Praise DSO.

• Forum MVP

I went to many shows this summer, never saw sting, as I preferred the lot than sting.  I thought it was a strange opening act for GD.

I also think Hornesby was still helping out with the band?  

I made it out to buckeye lake that year, but I dont recall sting as a opening act.  RFK  and Meadowlands for sure.  I think a two night run at each venue.  Buckeye lake....I want to say Pine knob afterwards.....then Bonner springs....

It's always good to feel the energy of these boards before jubilee.  Shedding our winter spring coats for shorts and sundresses.  Such a awesome time of year for GD. 

Remeber how excited we got preparing for tour.   Even more so then, no responsablities,  tour was cheap, always found a ride to the next show, and most always hooked back up with the ride you lost from the previous venue.  

Saturday morning cartoons was a big deal for me as a child, but summer tour was the coolest thing I ever did in my young life.  

Graduated HS in 93.  Old to some, but young to so many more.  

It saddens me my kids will never know that exhileration.  Cartoons every day of the week now,  no real opportunity to hit the road as we did at such young ages, and the ability to trust strangers to get you from 1 place to the next.

Even though GD shows did turn to some dark places towards the end, it was still a sight to witness.  Caravan of hippies in what ever wheels they could get....following GD.  

What a golden road for so many of our memories!!!

Archived