6.11.93 - recreation at Jubilee

Teacher Matt

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP
On 5/8/2018 at 1:02 PM, Rude said:

We did see George Clinton and P-funk Sunday but on Thursday Robert searight’s Sputacular Funkadelic extravaganza had 24 people on stage playing at blue nile. P-funk had around 14. Sput was one of the best drummers I’ve ever seen. Here’s a link to his funk playing. 

His band Snarky Pippy is playing the LEAF festival today. Beautiful lake grounds for camping in Black Mountain. The sound at Salvage Station was terrible last night!!!! The mics would t work and sound was vacuous. George Clinton was out and in Sprinter faster than you can say Funkadelic 

get set up off your a$$/ Knee deep- flashlight- PFUNK 

• Forum MVP
2 hours ago, GoingBackTo Where.... said:

Anyone at the RFK show when they busted out the horns for the Casey comeback?  Was that 94?

I was there. The place went nuts. I think that's the year Vince did Baba  O'Riley for the encore. Literally, the only thing he did that I can recall. '90 was the year for RFK. I remember it as the whole second set was Dark Star. While Jerry is noodling away through Dark Star, someone tied a glow stick that was the same color as the spot lite  on Jerry to three ballons. It floated to the top of the stadium, circled around, dropped down a bit, and then flew off. It was as if Jerry's playing willed it. The place went nuts. I got home that nite, climbed into bed, and my wife asked me how the concert was. I said they played Dark Star, I don't have to go anymore. That was 1990. See y'all Tuesday nite. 

On 5/1/2018 at 7:35 AM, John A said:

My memories of the Earthquake Benefit are the sweet Garcia driven MIDI jam after Terrapin, and the fact that they didn't play California Earthquake, which they'd just broken out of the East Coast tour.

The shakedown opener was so expected, it seemed like everyone knew it was coming and it was a good one and i also thought they were gonna do cal earthquake which goes to show you never can tell

• Forum MVP

Thanks for the video link,  2muchfun.

A pretty solid breakout.

No lyric flubs, clear and concise.

Only four plays of this bustout.

6/20/92 RFK 6/28 Deer Creek,

12/16 Oakland, 3/27/93 Albany.

The only west coast CJ at Oakland

12/16/92 after coma2 shook the rafters.

Praise DSO.

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 9:20 AM, DesertDead said:

Anyone at the RFK show when they busted out the horns for the Casey comeback?  Was that 94?

Oh boy was I there!  Summer of 1992 was the time of my life and this day may have been the pinnacle.  The show was pretty average on tape....but this was the day to end all days!.  I was having the summer of my life with a great group of friends and falling in love for the first time as well.  All my best buddies and my soon to be "first love" went to this show.  We went in early to see Steve Miller band.  The grass at RFK was so lush and green.  I'll never forget.  We got up close for Steve Miller and held the spot (stage left) for the entire Dead show.  Lots of dance space.  It was so hot.  The only way I can describe the euphoria when we all heard that train whistle and the first notes of Casey Jones is a giant "rainbow full of sound".  Everybody was so over the moon.  Casey Jones was never a very meaningful song to me before, nor has it become one since.  But the Casey Jones at RFK was just so special.  Never been in such a colorful mass of euphoria.  It was amazing!

Some of you may remember the bathrooms at RFK were hell.  Long, long lines....always.  There were not enough restrooms.  Well my friend and I waited during set break in the longest, hottest, smelliest, muggiest, most horrible line you could ever imagine.  It was not made easier by the fact that we were under the influence of a wonderful vial that kept us going all summer long.  Finally, we made it to the urinals and away we went.  When back down on the grass, my friend told me he had to return the line from hell because he got stage fright.  I always laugh when thinking of that.  Poor guy.  One of many memories I have from that glorious day. 

And then on to Burgettstown PA for a day at Star Lake that is only rivaled by RFK 1992.

I was standing in portal on top deck next to a RFK employee (usher?).  Heard the horn and the first notes.  The joint exploded!  The usher asked me, "What's going on?"   I told him that the band had not played the song in years!

As we stood there overlooking the scene, he asked me "How many people are here?"  I said, "About half of 'em."

• Forum MVP

Not to diminish how cool it would have been to be at RFK for the train whistle followed by the opening Casey Jones chords, but it was a pretty flaccid version.  Check out 12-16-92 for a post coma scorcher.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP
10 minutes ago, sml said:

I blew my load all over this 93 and don't regret it one bit :3

I was very sticky afterwards myself. I think it’s hard for people to separate dead playing in later years from Dso playing the setlist in the style because it’s like if the dead traveled through time from 78 to 1993 and played the show with different equipment. Even if Dso did a 95 show it’s still Dso playing. 

Archived