Elective Setlist Generator

LangeradoSoul

• Forum MVP
23 hours ago, Vortex said:

I was at that show show and I will forever cherish the one and only live (by the GD) version that I’ve heard of “Attics Of My Life”.  Hearing Jerry singing attics (with the rest of the band) made it it all worth it.

Now I feel like a dick lol. But I guess the same can be said at the 7-8-95 soldier field show(more regards to playing than setlist though). The visions of Johanna was beautiful while Jerry forgot the lyrics to almost every other song. At the time I thought that show was the best thing I’d ever seen as I didn’t really know better and was just beginning to know many of the songs. But to be fair the 7-8-95 setlist was pretty great for getting to hear all the songs I needed to hear live that I hadn’t. That 2nd set is a great setlist for any era. I didn’t know wang dang doodle, queen Jane, don’t ease, eternity, all too much but knew the rest so being an early deadhead that was pretty good considering the depth of their catalog and the limited ability to listen to a depth of shows pre internet.  I was super pumped for jack straw sugared althea(my fav song at the time because of without a net), Chiba rider terrapin TOO OMSN and us blues. I’d had some super crappy setlists in my previous 4 shows and these were what I needed to hear.  Place was packed and this was before I had the confidence to go find better seats and my ticket was mail order and my gf’s was bad but the only seat in our section unoccupied was next to me so we had great seats together even though I stressed someone woUld take her spot. That show I made friends with a family in front and their 10yr old son was keeping the setlist. It was all so new for me and seemed so odd. Now I realize that the dad raised those kids well ;)  

Jack Straw
Sugaree
Wang Dang Doodle
Althea
Queen Jane Approximately
Tennessee Jed 
Eternity*
Don't Ease Me In

China Cat Sunflower ->
I Know You Rider
It's All Too Much
Saint Of Circumstance ->
Terrapin ->
Drums ->
Space ->
The Other One ->
Visions of Johanna
One More Saturday Night

E: US Blues

one of the better setlists of 95 for sure even though when i listened to it again months ago, Jerry’s playing made me cry. Listening back it was so obvious in hindsight that he was dying. 

Set 1:

Let the good times roll
Althea
When I Paint my Masterpiece
When Push Comes to Shove
Sampson and Delilah
West LA Fadeaway
Quinn the Eskimo
Whiskey in the Jar

Gentlemen Start your Engines
Here Comes Sunshine 
So many Roads

Set 2:

Scarlet>Fire
St. Stephen>
William Tell>
The Eleven>
Cryptically envelopment>
The other one>
Drums>

Ship of Fools>
Lost sailor>
Saint of Circumstance>
Wharf Rat

E: Terrapin Station>Turn on your Lovelight> Brokedown Palace

2nd E: Johnny B Good> We bid you goodnight

I'm headed to the FL Keys next week.  Had to throw in the nautical theme

13 hours ago, Rude said:

Now I feel like a dick lol. But I guess the same can be said at the 7-8-95 soldier field show(more regards to playing than setlist though). The visions of Johanna was beautiful while Jerry forgot the lyrics to almost every other song. At the time I thought that show was the best thing I’d ever seen as I didn’t really know better and was just beginning to know many of the songs. But to be fair the 7-8-95 setlist was pretty great for getting to hear all the songs I needed to hear live that I hadn’t. That 2nd set is a great setlist for any era. I didn’t know wang dang doodle, queen Jane, don’t ease, eternity, all too much but knew the rest so being an early deadhead that was pretty good considering the depth of their catalog and the limited ability to listen to a depth of shows pre internet.  I was super pumped for jack straw sugared althea(my fav song at the time because of without a net), Chiba rider terrapin TOO OMSN and us blues. I’d had some super crappy setlists in my previous 4 shows and these were what I needed to hear.  Place was packed and this was before I had the confidence to go find better seats and my ticket was mail order and my gf’s was bad but the only seat in our section unoccupied was next to me so we had great seats together even though I stressed someone woUld take her spot. That show I made friends with a family in front and their 10yr old son was keeping the setlist. It was all so new for me and seemed so odd. Now I realize that the dad raised those kids well ;)  

Jack Straw
Sugaree
Wang Dang Doodle
Althea
Queen Jane Approximately
Tennessee Jed 
Eternity*
Don't Ease Me In

China Cat Sunflower ->
I Know You Rider
It's All Too Much
Saint Of Circumstance ->
Terrapin ->
Drums ->
Space ->
The Other One ->
Visions of Johanna
One More Saturday Night

E: US Blues

one of the better setlists of 95 for sure even though when i listened to it again months ago, Jerry’s playing made me cry. Listening back it was so obvious in hindsight that he was dying. 

People went apeshit crazy for that first unbroken bust out but it had to be the novelty of it cause it was terrible

• Forum MVP

Acoustic: Deep elem / oh, babe it ain't no lie/ wake up little Susie/all around this world/me andBobby McGee/To lay me down/must have been the roses/birdsong/ripple.                              

Set two: Let the good times roll/jack straw/Bertha/masterpiece/Althea/Boxarain/Peggy-o/desolation row/cumberland

Set three: scarlet>fire>estimated >eyes>D/S>dark star (St. Stephen tease inside dark star)>Sugar mags Visions of Johanna Good lovin>La Bamba>good lovin>lovelight

encore-broke down

• Forum MVP

Listened to today, and nearly weekly since I got it in Norfolk, va 12/1/17.

Big boy Pete

Duprees

Mountains

St Stephen>wm Tell>Eleven>Viola

(Fuck it, let's do that again)

Big boy Pete

Duprees

Mountains

St Stephen>wm Tell>Eleven>Viola

Hahaha

You know if that was an album you'd pick up the needle and put it back to the start.... Fucking insanity. 

• Forum MVP

Promised Land > Ramble On Rose, Cassidy, Candyman, Lazy Lightning > Supplication, Loser, Music > Sugaree > Music > Deal

Iko-Iko > Let it Grow > Scarlet > Fire, Samson, Terrapin > Playin > Eyes > Morning Dew > Playin Reprise

E:  St Stephen > Sugar Mags

• Forum MVP

Stranger > Half Step, CC Rider, Stagger Lee, Minglewood, Roses, On the Road Again, Jack-a-Roe, Hell In a Bucket > Might As Well

China > Rider, Miracle > Terrapin > China Doll > Drums > Space > Other One > Black Peter > Around x2 > GDTRFB > One More Sat PM 

E:  Truckin > Baby Blue

• Forum MVP

Shakedown > The Last Time, Brown-Eyed Women, Black Throated Wind, Dire Wolf, Cassidy, Blow Away, Help > Slip > Franklins

Uncle Johns Band > Crazy Fingers > Estimated > He’s Gone > Smokestack > Jam > Drums > Space > Watchtower > Wheel > Stella Blue > Good Lovin > Uncle Johns Reprise

E:  Werewolves > We Bid You Good PM

4 hours ago, 2muchfun said:

I think Eaton does a damn good job of generating...

Words cannot express the appreciation I have for Rob Eaton and how grateful I am for all that he is done.  Not to mention my admiration for him as a musician.  I am a guitarist and a Bobby freak.  I still can't play Bob Weir after 20 years of toiling away as a semi-professional musician.  Through Rob Eaton (and DSO) I have come to realize that Grateful Dead Music floats around in the universe, and when approached with the right spirit and the requisite amount of musicianship....the magic transcends the identity of the men on stage.  Whatever their names (Weir or Eaton), these musicians are conduits of a powerful force called Grateful Dead music. Jerry expressed a similar sentiment one time, and DSO has made me believe it.   

That being said.....I do feel a bit different about his approach to generating setlists.  I am a purist.  To me, DSO is magical when they are recreating from the pick of the litter.  When they do original setlists ....it often doesn't work.  I believe each concert originally played on stage by the Grateful Dead is a singular piece of art.  DSO separated themselves from the multitude of cover bands by honoring each individual piece of art and re-creating it with the same level of musicianship as the Grateful Dead. 

When Eaton mixes generations with his setlist song selection, incorporates songs that the Dead never played live, plays songs that 95% of us feel are buzzkills, plays songs that were retired because they didn't work live, etc.....It is not my cup of tea.  Creating a setlist is an art form, in and of itself.  I am not too crazy about his approach to the library.  I guess that I don't feel his setlist creation is as good as the Grateful Dead as when they were at the top of their game, and the ups and downs within the set truly affect my enjoyment of the concert. 

• Forum MVP

A lot to digest and I respect your opinion. To rebut I would say

If an original setlist had Alabama--> GSET  for any reason other then to try and fool the audience into thinking not an elective I would be disappointed.

Corrina-->St Stephen bothers you? Not me

My first show was 5/4/77, saw 122 shows, I may never have seen GD at their actual top of their game. Close enough to pretend I guess.

After 19 years and 300 DSO shows have come to believe set lists are like licorice,

• Forum MVP

I say listen to the first set of 12-1-17 and then revisit your opinion. It is the best set of grateful dead music I've experienced live in my life. Been on the bus since 85, bunch of shows and listened to the catalog for 33yrs. I love and appreciate the creativity Rob brings to the table. The electives keep it intriguing. Not bashing Mojo, just offering an opportunity to see it different, while appreciating your perspective. 😍     

• Forum MVP

12/1/17 makes me moist 😻

“You need music, I don't know why. It's probably one of those Joe Campbell questions, why we need ritual. We need magic, and bliss, and power, myth, and celebration and religion in our lives, and music is a good way to encapsulate a lot of it.”

That sucks Mojo.  I’m sure I would miss some transcendent moments if I preoccupied myself with a revelation that i was getting an elective and wanted something else.

• Forum MVP

I think electives are a matter of necessity for DSO, to keep the music moving forward. They have already replicated some Seventies shows more than once. They probably don't want to play some of the later nineties shows or even the really early stuff for that matter.  I read an interview where Rob said he can only sing Brent tunes so many nites in a row, I think it's one. Also, the crowd gets satisfied overall. Everybody gets a sampling of what they dreamed about. I think it's great that they stir the pot.

• Forum MVP

I think Rob Eaton does a fantastic job with set list creation.  I don’t love every elective set list and sometimes I do feel like a general flow to the music is missing. But overall, he crushes it. Some of my all time favorite DSO shows are electives. They crushed it with heavy hitters and a few rarities but they flowed masterfully.  

• Forum MVP

Bertha, It Hurts Me Too, El Paso, Cumberland, Hard To Handle, Deal, El Paso, Casey Jones, Next Time You See Me, Me + My Uncle, China > Rider

Sugar Mags > Wharf Rat, Greatest Story, Good Lovin > Drums > Good Lovin, St Stephen > Dark Star > Cryptical > Other One > GDTRFB > NFA > GDTRFB

E:  Alligator > Lovelight 

• Forum MVP

Jack Straw, Peggy-O, Minglewood, Big Railroad Blues, El Paso, Althea, Cassidy, To Lay Me Down, Feel Like a Stranger

Bird Song > Playin > Terrapin > Sailor > Saint > Spanish Jam > Drums > The Wheel > Truckin > Caution Jam > NFA > Morning Dew

E:  Let It Grow > Brokedown

• Forum MVP

Might As Well, Music Never Stopped, Sugaree, Looks Like Rain, High Time, Lazy Lightning > Supplication, Loser, Promised Land > 1/2 Step

Samson > Comes A Time > Dancin > Help > Slipknot > Franklins > Let It Grow > Drums > Let It Grow > Cosmic Charlie > Playin > St Stephen > Playin

E:  Wheel > Sugar Mags

China > 

Rider

Jack Straw

Loser

Weather Report > 

Let It Grow

Crazy Fingers

Black Throated

Row Jimmy

Other One>

Birdsong>

OtherOne

Ramble On Rose

Dear Mr. Fantasy

Scarlet>

Fire

Ballad of a Thin Man

Lay me down> 

Space > Drums>

Space >

China Doll>

Foolish Heart>

Franklins

encore > World To Give ( Everyone has their mouths stitched shut for entire show > is that mean? )

• Forum MVP
2 hours ago, crazy digits said:

China > 

Rider

Jack Straw

Loser

Weather Report > 

Let It Grow

Crazy Fingers

Black Throated

Row Jimmy

Other One>

Birdsong>

OtherOne

Ramble On Rose

Dear Mr. Fantasy

Scarlet>

Fire

Ballad of a Thin Man

Lay me down> 

Space > Drums>

Space >

China Doll>

Foolish Heart>

Franklins

encore > World To Give ( Everyone has their mouths stitched shut for entire show > is that mean? )

They told everyone at the Warfield acoustic shows in 1980 to please take it easy with the hootin' and hollerin' cuz they were recording for an album so, what the heck, instead of wristbands, they could duct tape our mouths as we enter the venue. 

• Forum MVP
4 hours ago, crazy digits said:

Ramble On Rose

Dear Mr. Fantasy

Scarlet>

Fire

Ballad of a Thin Man

Lay me down> 

Space > Drums>

Space >

China Doll>

Foolish Heart>

Franklins

It was nice of you to run a single Dylan tune out there for Bobby :)

il_570xN.782328024_bjue.jpg?version=0

This show would render me mush - provided people did indeed STFU!!

• Forum MVP

Promised Land > Dire Wolf, Mexical, Scarlet, BIODTL (11),  Loose Lucy, Black Throated Wind, Half Step, Bobby McGee,  Must a Been The Doses, China > Rider

Playin > Uncle Johns > Eyes > Slipknot Jam > Uncle Johns > Playin, Dark Star > WRS > Let It Grow > GDTRFB > US Blues

E: China Doll

• Forum MVP
On 5/5/2018 at 2:49 PM, Mason's Child said:

I think Rob Eaton does a fantastic job with set list creation.  I don’t love every elective set list and sometimes I do feel like a general flow to the music is missing. But overall, he crushes it. Some of my all time favorite DSO shows are electives. They crushed it with heavy hitters and a few rarities but they flowed masterfully.  

I agree. When I tell people we didn’t have a repeated song over a 3 night run with 10 hours of music they seem baffled. The only way to do this is through elective set lists. Without electives, we’d only get the songs the dead played 20x every hundred shows. We would get very little Dylan which I’m glad Dso loves too. Electives are necessary for the band to give us variety. 

Archived