Boston 5/10/18

Hardpan

Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA (11/13/78)

Promised Land
They Love Each Other
Mama Tried
Mexicali Blues
Peggy-O
Cassidy
Tennessee Jed
New Minglewood Blues
Stagger Lee
Jack Straw

Mississippi Half-Step
Franklin's Tower
Samson and Delilah
Friend of the Devil
Playin' in the Band
drums
Black Peter
Playin' in the Band
Around and Around

Encore: U.S. Blues

White Rabbit

Werewolves of London

• Like (+1) 1

The evening started off with Rob Eaton introducing that Jeff was going to be playing Wolf, and Jeff was positioned center stage for what had to be a great honor for him. The band delivered the goods, starting off with Promised Land, with Jeff ripping some extended leads at the end. Lisa came out for some lovely trio singing on They Love Each Other. Mama Tried and Mexicali got the place moving. Jeff gave a sweet vocal delivery of Peggy-O. Cassidy was excellent, Tennessee Jed brought the power, and Jack Straw to end the first set brought the thunder.

Second set started off with Half Step, with some nice peaks at the end. Franklin's Tower had the house rocking. They ripped through Samson and Delilah and gave the house a chance to cool down with Friend of the Devil. Playing in the Band got pretty nice and spaced out, drums finished with Dino really wearing the skins out good. Space was fun to listen to, with Jeff getting some really great tones out of Jerry's guitar and his effects pedals. Black Peter, to me, was the highlight of the night. The band brought the thunder on several occasions throughout the night, but they brought the entire house down to where you could hear a pin drop during Black Peter.  It was one of the most beautiful things I have ever gotten to witness at a concert. Playin reprise, Around and Around was ripping. U.S. Blues, White Rabbit and Werewolves of London to finish the night. Great playing by the band, great energy in the house, great to see Jeff playing Jerry's guitar all night.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Forum MVP

I think I may just be salty the Celtics beat the Sixers. Always tough to dance here at the Wilbur but wow if given the space we could’ve really shaken our bones. It was a privellege to see Jeff play Jerry’s guitar. 

Now hopefully a greasy dance party at the capitol. 

• Forum MVP

Sound was awesome and really out front in there for me.  Every instrument so clear and loud.  I thought Skip was gonna break through a fucking wall, the bottom was so fat.  

Cassidy is where things had a chance to take off to another level a bit, and they did.

Apparently every person in Boston knows (most of) the words to Jed.  Thankfully, could still hear the band ripping through the sing along.  Jeff really had fun delivering and demonstrating the lyrics.  Good stuff.

Rowdy Minglewood.  Love me some Stagger Lee.  All sorts of slide play, back to back.

Jack Straw was absolutely ripping.  Everyone was in need of a break at that point.  The Wolf was fully dusted off in this first set.  After about Mexicali Jeff snuck up on the mike and said tongue in cheek “It’s a pretty nice guitar”.  

1/2 Step was fine.  Franklin’s was incredible.  Everyone locked in, Jeff in command of the Wolf and shredding away.  Really great.

Dancing in this place was indeed challenging.

In addition to the Jack Straw and Franklin’s, I agree that the Peter was the highlight.  Jeff and the Wolf really had a great night out front the whole way, but his lyrics were damn impressive, too.  Soulful and inspired is how I would describe the Black Peter.

The transitions throughout the Playin sandwich were cool as f.

My head hurts.  In a good way, of course.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Forum MVP
13 hours ago, PoetryGirl said:

Was the Wolf just out for the night in Boston or moving on to howl in Port Chester ?

I believe it was just for the one night.

The guy who recently bought the Wolf lives in Boston, as you may have gleaned.  I kept looking around and wondering “is that the guy who owns the Wolf?” Lol.  

• Haha (+1) 1

What a special evening. Fantastic energy from the band. Lively crowd. Matson owned the Wilbur, just incredible playing, and from the whole band. The Wolf really did sound special. Clear and warm, high in the mix.

So many highlights. Always love hearing Cassidy. Jack Straw best I’ve ever heard. Great Half Step and whole second set. Black Peter always gets me, Matson channels something in this song.

As always, thank you to the band and crew for bringing us this amazing music. Sound was amazing.

Brought a few new folks along and so glad they were able to see a special recreation. Almost tragic not to have official releases from this spectacular Wilbur run of 69, 72 and now 78. Luckily audience recordings for the last two, hopefully one from this Thursday’s magic.

There’s nothing like a DSO show.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Forum MVP

I wonder what Jeff thought about the feel of playing Wolf, and if using it gave him any palpable sense of mystique. I guess that's a broad question, as it goes to both the feel of how he likes the instrument as well as to more visceral stuff regrading the intensity of playing one of Jerry's most cherished guitars.

I know he doesn't post here, but if he had any specific thoughts he'd consider sharing maybe another band member could ask Jeff if he'd let them share it here?

• Like (+1) 4

My DSO gang all prefer and LOVE re-creations so we all totally enjoyed our Boston re-creation with Jeff playing Wolf.

Truly raised the Grateful Dead re-creation experience to a new level.

Thanks to the band and the generous owner of Wolf for letting us all enjoy a bit of Jerry!

• Like (+1) 3
On 5/13/2018 at 2:38 AM, John A said:

I wonder what Jeff thought about the feel of playing Wolf, and if using it gave him any palpable sense of mystique. I guess that's a broad question, as it goes to both the feel of how he likes the instrument as well as to more visceral stuff regrading the intensity of playing one of Jerry's most cherished guitars.

I know he doesn't post here, but if he had any specific thoughts he'd consider sharing maybe another band member could ask Jeff if he'd let them share it here?

I was wondering the same thing. I watched Jeff take the guitar off at the end of the night and hand it over to Nick, who removed the strap and placed it into its case. Both guys were treating the guitar with a clear sense of reverence, like the treasured artifact that it is.  Really cool, and I wanted to have as long of a look at that instrument as I could. 

• Like (+1) 3