Princeton

Mojo Hand

• Forum MVP
9 minutes ago, Hardpan said:

I object, check the Boston thread 👮👮

Unfortunately there were 2 separate posts for that one so it nullified all your good work ;).  Just kidding about all of this because the southerners went into this northeast tour with very little forum setlist expectation so you guys didn’t disappoint. Keep trying and I bet u guys can get there with only 3-4 missing songs by the next show. Maybe you can get a second that wonton. That’s a fun one. 

• Like (+1) 1
1 hour ago, Rude said:

Unfortunately there were 2 separate posts for that one so it nullified all your good work ;).  Just kidding about all of this because the southerners went into this northeast tour with very little forum setlist expectation so you guys didn’t disappoint. Keep trying and I bet u guys can get there with only 3-4 missing songs by the next show. Maybe you can get a second that wonton. That’s a fun one. 

I will attempt to comply on the next show I go to. I did, however, give the format some thought (after all it was 3am into a mostly sleepless night 😜). I figured anyone interested could read the setlist without having to read my charged up review from standing ten feet from Jeff playing Jerry's guitar all night and melting the place down. Or vice versa. Don't expect much from me on electives. I'm good to remember the date and fillers, that's about it, not much of a note taker. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Rude said:

U northeast guys need to figure out listing setlists. 1st post should be the setlist then go from there. Just sayin. These setlist posts have been all over the place. I’m guessing Found used iPhone notes as his post came out the same font size mine did. 

You can also just edit your 1st post to add the songs to the list if you wanna start it during the show. That would work just as well. 

Sorry.  That would be me.  I have only posted live-time twice.  Most shows I am way too busy dancing for this.  However.......since this setlist was further away from my wheelhouse than a Cher concert.....I was looking for something to do.  I left early or I would have posted the whole thing.  Only because I love what this band can do and I expect so much from them, will I say that this was as disappointed as I have ever been at a concert.  Lots of people complaining at the break about the first set song selection.  I go to dance my brains out, not see a novelty set of early covers that was put together by the crew.  Refer to my previous post about setlist formation being an art form unto itself. 

9 hours ago, Mango said:

Hopefully no one got punched in the face....

Nope.  No one punched in the face or even nudged with an elbow.  Besides center stage, most everyone was sitting down with very few smiling faces.  I spent the first set in the balcony and half of the second downstairs.  Very little energy in either area.  People wanted to dance.......but that first set of early covers sucked all the energy right out of the room. 

My last 5 DSO shows;

5/14/18 Princeton - elective with all early dead. 

12/28/17 Montclair - elective with a setlist that also left the room dead.  no stellar reviews from anyone here.  many let early. 

8/14/17 Dewey- smoking recreation from 1971.  A big sweaty dance fest. The pinnacle of dead music played at its best.

5/23/17 Wilmington - a recreation with lots of rarities from 6/6/70.  Also not in my wheelhouse.  Again, not too much energy in the room.  (Not helped by Eaton playing Frozen Logger 3-4 times because they kept flubbing it.  If it didn't work the first time, why remind me of that by trying it two more times.  Good thing the audience was polite.)

12/30/16 Philly - another elective with some song selection that left the room flat. 

Great Dead music has the room jumping out of control.  Last night was a lot of polite golf clapping.  Definitely not a room full of people going nuts.

I am not overly selective when it comes to my Grateful Dead.  I will find euphoria in most setlists from 1971 thru 1992.  They are playing too much early dead and too many electives.  They have underwhelmed the crowds in most of the shows I mention above.  It is hard for me to find a night out.  Last night may have been my last DSO show, which is a shame because I love their upside so much.  But if this band continues to stray too far from what makes them great....I can't spend the time or money.  Not for 1 good night out of 5.  This is just me and I know I won't be missed.  But do realize, if they played 1971-1991 Grateful Dead recreations every night of the year, they would sell out forever to packed houses of sweaty dancers.  If they played early recreations or early electives every night of the year, they would be gone quick.  If the early Dead did not evolve, the band would have died.  DSO should not focus on that time period as much as they do.  I have heard Kadlecek would not do that era...good move.  Lots of pointless non-melodic jamming,  shredding, weak covers, overly complicated originals, etc.  To me, their setlists are becoming a little self-interested.  I don't go to see DSO to see their creativity come through.  By the nature of what they are doing, creativity is not a necessity or hallmark.  I go to see them because they can channel the greatness of Grateful Dead music.  Stop trying to get fancy with it.  I don't want a set of early Dead covers, nor do I want Pride of Cucamunga mixed with Corrina.  Last night was just so bad.  He Was a Friend of Mine and Green Grass of Home!  UGH.  Rarity does not make a song great.  In fact, quite the opposite.  It is likely rare because it didn't work.  Such a boring first set.  It is a shame that they play a show like that, knowing most of the room will not respond.....when all they have to do is stick to the basics and the place will go ape shit every time. I am not saying you always have to play to the masses......but they are playing for the minority and themselves a little too much lately.

Bias.....I am not a fan of early Dead.  IMHO, they became a great band in 1971 and beyond.    I believe that their cover selection during that time period was nothing special, Pigpen was an average bluesman, and their originals were written before they matured as song writers.  Not an interesting melody or crescendo in the first set last night.  Did we really need all those covers together in the first set? 

sorry for the negative post again.  But if they are going to have a forum on the website, then I assume feedback is welcome.  I am sure I will go again and pray as I always do that they stay away from early Dead or a disjointed elective.  However, their percentage of great concerts has been pretty low for me lately.

• Sad (neutral) 1

I really wish I could have made it to this one! I mean no disrespect what so ever to your opinion Mojo, as we all have our favorite shows/eras/setlist, but it's this kind of setlist that makes me and the folks I flail with, go crazy. Have never seen the crowd disappointed before, but have appreciated when people leave early so I can spread my wings. I also love the variety of electives and believe DSO kills every era. Hopefully your next show will make your spirit thrive! Hopefully my next show will include New Potato Caboose! Peace

• Like (+1) 3
  • Forum MVP

could not disagree more mojo. the crowd was very into what was being put out there. that capitol shows were superb but last night was about as good as it gets. 

everyone has their own tastes, and you’re certainly entitled to yours and free to do what you want (obviously). i think dso does a tremendous job of highlighting all eras over the course of each tour unless there is some circumstance that leaves the band with a drummer short for a bit or something to that effect. but that is rare. i am very much pro elective. there is a certain risk reward for sure but there is an unpredictability to it that is so unmistakably dead and true to the spirit. electives allow dso to highlight not oft played songs. recreations, also very enjoyable but they feel very straight forward to me. my suggestion to you, go see more shows. you’ll see more of what you want. 

he was a friend of mine, if i had the world to give, believe it or not. all rare and all amazing songs. it’s also a special treat to hear something like that. rewarding people who come out to a monday night show with something that isn’t run of the mill. the show was to my liking. sorry it wasn’t to yours. but crazy to say the crowd wasn’t into it. they seem to be doing just fine with their current model. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP
4 hours ago, Rude said:

After the Boston show I couldn’t see straight, but when I thought of all who may be looking here to see what the Wolf had to say, I could see enough to know there was no thread about the show.  So I made one on the fly with the link to the archive so the list could be found.

And Brent will sing Samba before I submit any sort of mea culpa about the formatting of that post.  😆

• Forum MVP
6 minutes ago, chuckvegas said:

Hi Doc! I was being a little facetious and there certainly are shows in my future. The Jubilee is is not happening for me this year. Got Red Rocks? 😎

Slight hijack:  that Road to Red Rocks logo on the shirts and bass drums is cool AF.

Like the build up.  Plenty o space to boogie in that joint.

Keep doing shows mojo... The music grows on ya. I used to hate corrina until hearing China cat segue into corrina at black mountain... I'm thinking this is a very funky transition into rider... Dso tricked me into appreciating corrina...  I've been to my share of Dso shows in college or beach towns where it seems they have to play "that good song" ( its what I hear locals say. I hope they play that good song) ya know, touch of grey, Casey Jones, truckin, fod etc. Nothing wrong with those songs especially how skip brings bass to new level on truckin...  Princeton was the epitome of a dancefest... Not sure where you were...

Didn't I hear comes a time or was that a dream..

31 minutes ago, Michael Doc Watson said:

Red Rocks was in the plans but unfortunately a good friend and brother passed away and there is a "Celebration of Life" that they scheduled for the same day.

Peace and Love,

Doc

We will all be respecting the dead that day. Sorry for your loss doc.

• Like (+1) 1
1 hour ago, Rude said:

Wait. Is this the setlist we are talking about?  This is FIRE!!!!  See I was all confused with a song here and there i didn’t see the insanity of this show until now. This is the grail. Wow!!!!! 

And an audience recording of it was just uploaded to Archive.org! Can hardly wait to get home from work to crank this baby up!!! Thank you, Max Demski and DeadHead94!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP

Sometimes the dance fest has to do with the venue. The McCarter isn’t the greatest venue for dancing. The capitol is always a greasy dance party regardless of set lists. Boston wasn’t great for dancing either. But if your talking about the absence of energy while this set list was being played, I know you weren’t hanging by my friends. My crew would go ape shit for this and the build up of the show to the crazy dance throwdown of caution lovelight would have been pure bliss for me. I hate missing this one. I would’ve traded Boston and the Cap x 2 for just this one. 

• Like (+1) 1

This was my 3rd time seeing DSO (saw the 2 Wellmont shows last year) and this was by far my favorite show. I love the early, primal Dead stuff. As soon as I got there and saw Jeff and Skip's Gibsons (as well as an acoustic) on stage, I knew it was going to be an awesome show. Mountains of the Moon > Dark Star was incredible imo. At the same time, I completely understand what Mojo is saying, even though I don't agree. The people sitting next to me were there to dance and were disappointed by the song selection (in that context, understandable). A lot of people started heading for the door during Death Don't. Still, I really enjoyed it. Hopefully heading out to Penn's Peak this weekend. I took some (not so good) cell phone videos that I can upload here if anyone wants to see them

• Thanks (+1) 1