Princeton

Mojo Hand

• Forum MVP

Mojo, I'm not mad at you for not liking that setlist, altho puzzled that you say 71- is peak stuff, but 69 is another band. I am aware of the sound and tempo changes between said years. I take issue with 2 things. 1. Pig was an average bluesman.... Bro, seriously. 2. Why can't you just say you didn't like the setlist instead of dispariging the band along with your statement. To say they sucked the energy out, that there were very few smiling faces, that Rob can't construct an elective setlist. I happen to be a fanatic of 66-72 and will see 30 DSO shows before I get a show that sweet. I'll go to 21 more just banking on getting that pre70 treasure (cause I had one 9 shows ago). I don't like the way you talk about the band, but I respect your opinion on the music.

• Forum MVP

The whole band received this this morning

At 80 I was probably the oldest one in the audience so maybe my comments will be dismissed. But I've had many years listening to the Dead and for the past few years listening to you guys. I've always been impressed with your shows but Monday's show hit another level. Had that have been the Dead who performed it, it would have been treasured as one of the classics. I am still on a high. Thanks for an incredible evening and thanks to the crew for an impeccable set list. What way to keep this music alive and to honor the memory of those who first got on the bus. God Bless you all. Lou Ruprecht

;-))

• Like (+1) 14
  • Forum MVP
3 hours ago, robeatondso said:

“ I don't go to see DSO to see their creativity come through.”

i reallt dont know ehat to say.🙉

Guess people think you guys transcribe dead shows and then perfectly play the transcription...... 

the funny thing is that in a show like this, the dead could have performed this and only a song or 2 is a giveaway that this is an original and unless you know dead really well you couldn’t tell an original from a recreation .  Most shows I go to I hear people in the bathroom say do you know what year the show is even when you have an unbroken chain and alligator. 

Keep making these epic setlists!!!! 

Edit:  but a courtesy heads up would be great so we can hop a flight ;)

• Like (+1) 2
  • Forum MVP
14 hours ago, Rude said:

....what year the show is even when you have an unbroken chain and alligator. 

A few of us such as me have been listening to the Grateful Dead longer than you have been alive but I can't or just don't bother to remember years and even eras that various songs were played. For me, that it is being played "tonight" and I can dance to that song once again is the most import thing.  I try to learn the years just so I can keep a reasonable conversation with you and other loved friends.

Peace and Love,

Doc

• Like (+1) 4
  • Forum MVP

My point was that you can’t always tell if it’s a recreation or original, so why be upset if it’s original. It wasn’t an attack on anyone.  I used the alligator/unbroken chain analogy as they were 26 years apart from being played with unbroken chain only played in 95 and alligator never after 69. I thought the 73 original from Wilmington was an actual 73 as they strictly adhered to songs that were only 73 songs or songs not really played after for 20 years and played none that were 1st played after 73. It was a trickster set unless someone (like tea) knows every single set played in that year. 

• Forum MVP

The music must move forward. It’s the nature of the beast. Dark Star Orchestra must move forward. Elective set lists are necessary. I was sceptical at first but I now understand. The success the band has achieved as a result of our support has led to this. I now embrace electives and am eternally grateful to the entire band and all of it’s supporting cast for the sacrifices and devotion they have made and given. Anything less than commitment in return is beyond my comprehension. That’s what love is, baby....that’s what love’ll make you do.

• Like (+1) 4

I love the songbook. You guys are bar none the best executioners of it and have been for some time. I love the electives and the recreations. When I get to attend the show, I’m able to transport to a happy place and dance and be free and there are no distractions because your musicianship and professionalism shine through. Thanks!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP

Electives are the only way for Dso to play the depths of the dead catalog. At least dead50 did a 60s show. After 69 you never got a viola. All those great songs the dead stopped playing can only be heard through electives besides a few 2 set recreations as the dead mostly played 1 set like modern artists with opening bands in their early days. Dso only plays like 3 69 shows a year. I regret every time I see one listed as that’s 1 less shot I get of seeing one. 

Hoping for a 69 miracle at jubilee!! We got 2 straight years I think of a 69 show then a few years since.