Touch of Grey

Johnny B. Goode

filler: The Weight

super, awesome, sweaty dance fest tonight

• Like (+1) 8
  • Forum MVP

In Northeast PA, on the top of a mountain

lies a cathedral of music and dance that

never disappoints and last nite was no exception.

Confidence is high in the building when the band,

before playing a note, informs the crowd how much

they enjoy playing at this venue.

What follows at Penn's Peak is a superb retelling

of 10/21/83.  Carefully culled from the songbook,

set one rang the bell several times, MNS, the Cumberland

that chased me upstairs for more real estate, which I

was glad I had for the BIg RR>PL close. Whenever a

Big RR pops up, isn't that always a good first set?

Chunky second set led with an other wordly

Scarlet>Fire, a duo this band hammers recently,

it really lets the band shine. Great song selections

post D/S, Truckin out of space a great set placement,

probably not many Miracle>Touch set2 closers

in the DeadBase.

The icing on the top was the group of dancers

some old friends, some new,  that I shared the

evening with, upstairs Phil's side.  Great dancer

to space ratios and serious hoedown energy

start to finish. Fantastic to see you all. 

This band continues to nightly deliver everything

a fan of this music could ask for.

Jubilee on the horizon.

Praise DSO.

• Like (+1) 3

A really good time last night. Agree with everything you guys said. Great first time for me at Penn's Peak. Really enjoyed driving to a venue in the country versus the city, nice large stand alone free venue parking lot brings everyone together before the show, and the weather held out just enough for some good hanging out before the concert. Highlights for me were the Cumberland, and Scarlet/Fire, UJB, Playin. Excellent playing in a venue I will most definitely be returning to.

Love this venue, grate people, awesome show but they gotta fix the beer line situation...me and my buddy missed Cumberland and Cassidy waiting for a damn beer. And both songs rocked. They don’t need to ask for ID every single time, major hold up. That should be what the wristband is for, not proving you HAD a ticket. 

Anyways it would never deter me from going back, Penns peak is the shit. Nothing but grate times there. That was some serious Fog up on that mountain.

Openers of both sets were highlights, TMNS was awesome and started the night off right, I really liked Cumberland except I was trying to boogie on a beer line. The band slams scarlet>fire with some  serious passion.  Jeff  seems to nail wharf rat everytime these days. Second set was fun..How could you not love the weight filler. Good dance party..Thanks DSO

I'm really bummed because I had tickets to go to that show and then I got a stomach flu that day and I couldn't go been looking for some live stuff either from YouTube or one of the archive sites can't find anything. That setlist looks amazing.😭

BTW it would have been my first DSO show 

Edited by Dgd78
  • Sad (neutral) 1
25 minutes ago, Dgd78 said:

I'm really bummed because I had tickets to go to that show and then I got a stomach flu that day and I couldn't go been looking for some live stuff either from YouTube or one of the archive sites can't find anything. That setlist looks amazing.😭

BTW it would have been my first DSO show 

I know the feeling, having had that same experience of missing out on shows due to illness, and it really sucks that you had tickets to this show you couldn't use! It brings back a not-so-good memory of the time back in 1983 (same year as the show DSO decided to recreate here) when I had two tickets to see Elton John at Merriweather Post, and my friend who had a car got sick and let me know the morning of the show that he wasn't gonna make it. Much as I tried, I could not find another ride, and of course there was no such thing as Uber, and I wasn't willing to hitchhike from DC to Columbia, MD, so I stayed home. I still have those two intact tickets! 

By the way, welcome to the boards, and may you be feeling good and healthy for your first DSO show in the not so distant future!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP

Any show that starts MNS means you are in for some dancing!! That looks near perfect. And the filler was one of my 3 perfect show closers(ripple and brokedown being the other 2). Looks like a great time was had :) 

I’m definitely ready for some good ole Grateful Dead!!!!  

• Like (+1) 2