Earplugs

Rude

• Forum MVP

Battling Tinnitus from too many loud shows with too little recovery time, just overpaid for some Eargasm “high fidelity” earplugs. Just did a test and these are no better for sound quality than these silicon Walmart wax type ones. I feel like I just blew $30x2(gf stood in front of JRAds speaker stack in Chicago as I was smart enough to go to the back and now she has a perm humming sound). Plus those silicon wax types can be split into many pieces to save your friends’ ears during ultra loud bands.  The eargasms can also get bent easily killing the supposed same sound quality at just lower decibels but that’s not the case either way. They do like almost all others and kill the highs that I thought these were supposed to allow in.  Seems like these are just another marketing ploy. $.25 to produce with a clever name and charging $30. 

I have the Etymotics, sounds pretty good for ear plugs. Similar design to the eargasm, a few stepped up silicone flanges to fit the ear canal and a hard plastic sound filter. Around fifteen bucks. Still not much of a fan of wearing ear plugs, but I don't want to destroy my ears. 

• Forum MVP

I’d always joke about people wearing them until I started seeing too many shows in a row. I can tell it got really bad after several shows in a row seeing JRAD. when I’d lay down to sleep after the show and relaxed my body, my ear drums would spasm creating an ultra loud vibrating explosion type sound. I was afraid it would start  happening again during Dso spring run but Dso isn’t oppressive with the volume.  I used to wish Dso would crank it up more lol. Now I’m happy that they didn’t or I’d be in worse shape. At least I don’t have hearing loss. Tinnitus generally doesn’t create hearing loss. Something like 20% of cases have associated hearing loss. Now I’ll just live with a constant ringing the rest of my life. I’m already adjusted to it. It’s not overly loud but it’s constant. But to keep it from progressing when I’m stuck in an area I can’t retreat from or want to feel the bass, I’ll use earplugs. 

• Forum MVP

John Entwhistle sold ear plugs for a $1.00 at his merchandise table when he did a spring1996 bar tour. Played McGuffeys in Dayton, the Toy Tiger in Louisville and Annie's in Cincy.  He was loud and to catch a practically all Who show in a bar for $15.00 was a treat. The Who later that year did a Quadrophrenia tour in coliseums for $60.00 tickets. Good idea to take ear plugs whenever you go for music. Ripped a blazing The Real Me

• Forum MVP

I was in front of Jeff front row charleston 10 feet from his speaker stack on spring tour and after a few solos I had to go to the balcony. To be fair the couple to my left left for the same reason. We were also a few feet from the PA creating twice the issue. My left ear has become very sensitive and super loud music feels like I’m being stabbed in the ear. At many shows the only open area to dance near the music is in front of the speaker stack(smart people stay away from

there i now realize) so I took that option leading to what we have now. This has progressed rapidly over the last year. From what I’ve read there is no cure but to just stay away from loud sounds to which really isn’t an option. Plus my right ear is still fine ;)

• Forum MVP

Those eargasm plugs should give you a much flatter frequency response than the Walmart things.  Weird you didn't experience that.

That said, the real way to do it is to go to an audiologist and have a mold of your ears made so you can be fitted with custom plugs.

Maybe that and stay away from JRAD and speaker stacks?  :P

• Forum MVP

I can't stand having anything stuck in my ears. It's all about finding the right place in the room. I learned my lesson long ago being up front at a Motorhead show in the early eighties. Not a fan of being up close, find a good spot near the soundboard. 

Archived