Dead and Company Free live stream tonight

Hardpan

Checked out a little bit of it. Pretty low energy, the snippets I caught. A little tough to watch after seeing DSO breathe pure fire the past few weekends... Still gonna hit a couple of their shows in the northeast in a couple weeks, should be fun to camp a couple days near spac and hit up citi field. 

• Forum MVP

Cool list so far though.

Although we’re really just piling on at this point, they do a good job for what it is, and Weir is doin a helluva lot better than I’ll be doing at his age, in part because I’ll be dead.

I live near Boston and skipped the show.  My son had a little league game.

But I am also about to move to SF, so I have Berkeley to look forward to and don’t need a fix after hearing the Wolf howl at the Wilbur.

• Forum MVP

Lack of edginess exists. . There is a languidness perhaps as some say- OR Maybe more of a quiet personal reckoning  that comes through the music yadayada but.,.......

The graphics for drums : space are off the hook!!!

• Forum MVP

After going to jubilee, this is some boring shit. That shakedown to open the show was horribly slow. Blah. It’s like if kids learning to play an instruments decided to do dead. It’s basic. My analogy is if you slow bluegrass down to half tempo it’s just country music. It’s making GD music just basic music.  Slowing dead down 20% takes away what makes it great.  It’s too easy to process played this way. I want to be challenged.  There’s nothing challenging with it being played this way. 

• Forum MVP

Lol. They screwed that up at the end. Out of drums space only got in 2 short songs and couldn’t do an encore because of time. That was a clusterfuck. 

19 minutes from end of space to taking a bow lol. 

32 minutes ago, Rude said:

After going to jubilee, this is some boring shit. That shakedown to open the show was horribly slow. Blah. It’s like if kids learning to play an instruments decided to do dead. It’s basic. My analogy is if you slow bluegrass down to half tempo it’s just country music. It’s making GD music just basic music.  Slowing dead down 20% takes away what makes it great.  It’s too easy to process played this way. I want to be challenged.  There’s nothing challenging with it being played this way. 

I will agree with this analogy to a point, but it is more challenging to play something interesting at a slow tempo, than it is at a fast tempo, at least in bluegrass music. Timing is tougher to maintain, tougher to play tastefully when you have so much space to fill, etc. I think some of those things could hold true for Grateful Dead music, although I have never tried to play GD at a higher level than strumming in my living room.

Mayer is getting better at playing tastefully, it seems, although his command of the musical vocabulary of Grateful Dead music is still limited and he falls into blues licks when he runs out of ideas, whether it fits the song or not. Interesting to see Burbridge playing with a pick, didn't hear much Lesh style playing, but I find his bass playing to be low in the mix. Chimenti sounds good on the keys, plays what fits, etc. Bob sounds ok, gotta love that he is still out there playing, but having seen Eaton just lay all of that style out there in all of its glory, kinda waiting to hear that stuff played by Weir, and it wasn't happening, even at the reduced tempos. Maybe I didn't listen to enough of it, who knows. Mickey is playing with those weird club looking red sticks, lol. Bill looks like he is playing with authority, though. 

• Forum MVP

No, thanks. I’ll be at dark star shows when they’re comin’, comin’, comin’ around. Ain’t no place I’d rather be. A few feet from stage, surrounded by familiar faces, singing along, shakin’ My bones, watching the finger work on the guitars, leaving revitalized. Dark Star Orchestra has captured lightning in a bottle. 

• Forum MVP

Dead and Company was quite a contrast to the high energy DSO we were treated to at the Jubilee.  What I liked best last night was that I could lay back in my soft bed in air conditioning watching close up video, listening on JBL headphones, and not be tempted to dance away all my energy. I fell asleep.

Archived