Jubilee 2018

Twas a great weekend, and I finally have a chance to port forth a few thoughts, in no particular order.

• Saturday (5/26) was GREAT music all day.  Yes everyday was great, but Saturday was GREAT.  Dino's Quintet and Holly Bowling were fantastic.  They had a high-class vibe going on that made me drink my beer with pinky fully extended.  
  • That was one rough storm, also on Saturday, but we pulled through.  Many canopies were turned into twisted metal, and some tents became kites, but everybody kept on keeping on.
  • The Amazing Giants and the Joyful Bubbles are great side entertainment for families and well, everyone, really.  Keep bringing 'em back!
  • Those were some of the cleanest Port-o-pottys I've ever seen.  Well done!  Only at the end were they even the slightest bit rank.  Except for Potty #2 by the GA showers that was, well, Number Two'd on top of the seat midday on Saturday, but by evening it was in tip top shape.  Thank you to whomever is in charge of keeping those things clean.  And to the person who layethed down the evil deed, shame!!
  • Melvin & DSO is one potent combo.  Tore Up might have been my favorite song of the whole weekend.
  • Stage banter was hilarious.  Good audience recordings are available on archive.org (thanks Toaste!) as well as a matrix of Holly Bowling.
  • What happened to the cold nights of Jubilee '13?  I've been sweating my spheres off every year since.  Back in '13 I actually wore my winter coat to Night 3...
  • It's weird, but it seems like every Sunday morning, when they're about to do the Kids Parade, the weather is perfect, maybe a little warm like I just mentioned, but the sky is blue, the sun is out, and there's absolutely no rain.  Every Sunday morning at the Jubilee looks like every other Sunday morning at the Jubilee.  Just beautiful.  And if it's the kids that are good luck, then maybe we could have them parade around all weekend long because storms just suck.  Oh, and that was one long parade. From the stage all the way thru GA, that I saw.  Awesome!
  • I'm buying the SBDs when they come out, always do, but could we also get the other DSO collaborative ensembles??  Dino's group, Mattson/friends, California Kind, and Melvin & five sevenths of DSO were all great and I'd love to hear those boards. 

Guess that's all I got.  GREAT Jubilee '18.  It's almost been a week and the memories are so vivid that it still feels like I just left Legend Valley.  See ya next year!

• Like (+1) 8
  • Forum MVP
11 minutes ago, gr8fulpair said:

I haven't heard anyone mention Disco Pizza. Did any get a slice of that heaven in their depleted mouths? Where they even there? Be surprised if not. Cause Disco Pizza and DSO go together like peas and carrots. 

Man did I? My boy and I had a slice a day and may have went back for a 2nd one night. They were really on top of their game this year too. Sam and I talked about it may have been the best we’ve ever had although it could have been because it had been a whole year without it. 😆😂

• Like (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP
4 hours ago, gr8fulpair said:

. Did any get a slice of that heaven in their depleted mouths? 

Like manna from heaven. I was accused of suggesting a late night walkabout just for a slice. Guilty as charged.... I mean, gotta eat the fruit of the tree of life when it dangles so low. 🎢🍕🍕

• Like (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP
13 hours ago, gr8fulpair said:

I haven't heard anyone mention Disco Pizza. Did any get a slice of that heaven in their depleted mouths? Where they even there? Be surprised if not. Cause Disco Pizza and DSO go together like peas and carrots. 

Always yummy

Michelle there too

• Like (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP
2 hours ago, DaysBetween said:

Disco was real good. Huge pieces of fresh oregano on that. 

Forgot to mention originally.. where was the Sugaree? :) By night 3 I thought I had at least one guarantee on Set List Lotto.

Nope- but I am sure you heard the best one ever, in some time/space continuum.

• Forum MVP

The "I Take a Melody" was silky and flowery and lovely.

The Sprinter van stealth camper in my driveway a coupe of month's ago came by and shared the joy.

I love the idea of reinventing space with song and something new. Good transformation- fire, Pele- the new architecture of the moment by reading the signs apparent is the fuel on which the starship flies. 

It seemed better than last year - Fewer big rocks, more even grading, and hard packed in some place.

No rugs, but one large area was claimed with maybe 9 sheets of plywood/chipboard which was interesting.

• Thanks (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP
On 6/1/2018 at 11:15 PM, gr8fulpair said:

An i seriously doubt any of you xxx thought of me for even a second ... 😊

There were a few seconds Friday night when you and Steve, Ed, Chuck, Teach, Huck, and Dr B came to mind ...wishing you guys were there...but knowing we will dance together some other night.

Peace and Love,

Doc

• Like (+1) 3
  • Forum MVP
On 6/1/2018 at 11:15 PM, gr8fulpair said:

An i seriously doubt any of you fuckers thought of me for even a second while devoiring that complex and flavor bursting bounty of hot, warm goodness.  😊

Hardly. Missed you, Huck, Brian J, Mango, Sammy, Tea, Barry and AM, Sunny and Steve for rizzle. I found out about an arm slinky and it was inspired by your dancing I am 💯

• Like (+1) 3
  • Forum MVP
On 6/1/2018 at 10:15 PM, gr8fulpair said:

An i seriously doubt any of you fuckers thought of me for even a second while devoiring that complex and flavor bursting bounty of hot, warm goodness. Oh well, I forgive you. I would not place upon you a burden I would not carry myself. 😊

We tjoufht if you a lot. We were like wish You would set camp up and wish you would cook and rebuild camp after the deluge. You should have snuck in and you could be our illegal laborer that we paid very little. USA!! Usa!!  

Had a lot of fun. Enjoyed all but one band that I heard. Nice hanging out and getting to know you Michael. Sorry that I never ran into Masons Child. Hope to do this most years. Do not think that I will make Redrocks, but hope to catch a California Kind show somewhere this summer. JB

• Like (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP

I had Disco Pizza, I thought it was ok. Michelle is a really nice person. IMO it is no comparison to the pizza up here, not even close. But if you're in NC, or SC, I'm sure it hits the spot. I spend a lot of time down there (coast) and have yet to find a decent pizzeria.