My first dead$co show

Brian NJ

• Forum MVP
9 hours ago, cnjBrian said:

Seriously if I offended anyone with the sheep comments, I won't edit it but I apologize.

i think I may have had too much caffeine tonight... 

As long as you were talking about Maher's sheep.

I went so I could see for myself wtf this was...and I found out.

Regarding shakedowns...IMHO the downhill started about when you could get "fat sammies" anywhere in the lot. Old demon alcohol and Phish heads degraded the party.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

Honestly I domt ever remember any band cutting a set break short because rain.  Has Dso ever done that?  I just don’t think it’s really done. 

Stay on topic. Slow tempo. Lots of drunk tourists.  People with designer $400 Grateful Dead shirts. 

• Forum MVP

Lol I’m just messing except about the slow tempo and $400 designer outfits. In Chicago we saw a group of girls all wearing this designer SYF dress......

• Forum MVP

We got rained out for the 2nd set at Governors Island one year (2009?)and that was because the authorities had to get everyone on the boats, before they couldn't run anymore.

A few years ago we were in Pa. and there was basically a monsoon,  DSO didn't cut the show short by a minute. I also recall a show in Buffalo on the water in which it rained hard throughout the show, and they didn't skip a beat even when Mattson was getting drenched.No lightning at either, which makes all the difference.

• Forum MVP

We had one years ago at the outdoor Pompano Beach amphitheater (I loved that place; it even allowed for a mini-Shakedown) where Doppler showed an angry red blob of tropicalness  coming our way.

And sure enough, we got strong winds and brief but torrential rain pouring in horizontally. The stage was getting saturated. I realize I could be wrong here, and there are those among us who are almost Renaissance in their expertise on everything to correct me, but my understanding is that large amounts of water don’t mix well with electronics.

There may be some truth to that, as I recall the show (a recreation) being played as one long set. A few songs were skipped but good value was delivered to a drenched audience.

That’s my story. Those were good times.

2 minutes ago, chuckvegas said:

We had one years ago at the outdoor Pompano Beach amphitheater (I loved that place; it even allowed for a mini-Shakedown) where Doppler showed an angry red blob of tropicalness  coming our way.

And sure enough, we got strong winds and brief but torrential rain pouring in horizontally. The stage was getting saturated. I realize I could be wrong here, and there are those among us who are almost Renaissance in their expertise on everything to correct me, but my understanding is that large amounts of water don’t mix well with electronics.

There may be some truth to that, as I recall the show (a recreation) being played as one long set. A few songs were skipped but good value was delivered to a drenched audience.

That’s my story. Those were good times.

I remember there being a lot of thunder + lightning as well. We tried to wait it out, but at that time, we were driving to and from shows, not getting rooms. Had to make the prudent decision and head back to WPB before too many IPA's and bowls sitting in the car. Florida Troopers scare me!

We too love that venue Chuck!

:dsorocks:

• Forum MVP

Oh hell yes, the lightning was a major feature of the angry red Doppler blob. We were the only part of south FL getting hammered (at least by the weather). I miss that venue and Jannus. Some day the FL dream run will again happen.

• Forum MVP

Played right thru an indoor fire alarm in 2007 Charlotte. They were wearing out a set closing Deal when the fire alarm went off, nobody (band and crowd) skipped a beat. You can clearly hear the alarm in the background on the recording.  At set break they announced it was a false alarm. People were like "what are they talking about??"

Remember Merryweather 1983? The mudslide down the hill on the lawn was fun and had a light'n strike during Bob Star and Wharf Rat I think. A long time ago. Show did not stop. It only got better.

It poured. The lightening was spectacular. Really thought people where going to die and amazed the stage electronics weren't impacted. It rain so hard, and I recall looking down at my feet. They looked like boats traveling uphill against a river of water. There were wakes from them because the water was gushing so fast. We laughed and froze. Going back to car, the park ranges had to divert traffic as entrances were washed out or blocked. I remember seeing 4 motorcycles parked near the creek, and all you could see was the mirrors sticking out above the water. We made it to the car and stripped off our wet clothes and marveled. ( taken from live music archive ).
This was a tremendous show. Unique with Little Bob Star and " Do know the people they call the Aborigines?" "They think this side is the dream side." During Sunshine Day Dream.
What got me is that Dead And CO were still selling the download for the same price as a full Show.
Gone Are The Days.
I love DSO. John Mayer is not a Hippy. DSO is. I love DSO does Jerry Band. Unbelievable shows. Shows better than the downloads even though I love the downloads. Matt and Rob have incredible chemistry together. And I love the whole band too. John Mayer is a Pop Star and blues guitarist. His Insta Gram post are ridiculous. Out of whack with our culture. Will always love Jerry. 23 yrs after is passing He is still alive and well. And always  will live in many of are hearts and minds. Been thinking lately about getting a Lucky Ol'' Sun Tattoo.

• Forum MVP

I wasn’t at that show but I know quite a few people who were. Or was it ‘85? They all have the same head shaking, eyes popping, mouth hanging open reaction. If I am correct, they played 29 songs. Stage struck by lightning twice. Phil’s thunder. Unbelievable show. Because it rained.

20 hours ago, Mason's Child said:

I don’t think anyone was really implying they schemed to play as little as possible and use the weather to get out of town with your money. 

I think what more is being said is that adjustments could have been made. Should have been made to bring the fans as much music as possible given the difficult circumstances. 

Adjustments were not made. It puts off the appearance they didn’t care. 

You get it my friend!

• Forum MVP
13 hours ago, XChemistry said:

Remember Merryweather 1983?

Legendary.  The power to the PA went out completely for a few moments during Wharf Rat. When it came back on, Phil unleashed a bomb for the ages.

25 minutes ago, John A said:

Legendary.  The power to the PA went out completely for a few moments during Wharf Rat. When it came back on, Phil unleashed a bomb for the ages.

Love those bombs 💥🚀

• Forum MVP

Respects to Bob for still being out there,

he has earned it and created volumes of

live music in many forms over the years.

Could he be feeling some of the pressure

Jerry felt to keep mouths fed?

If you attend a Dead and Co. concert,

prepare for disappointment in one way or

another and you might have a decent time.

Praise DSO.

• Forum MVP
On 6/6/2018 at 8:32 PM, XChemistry said:

Remember Merryweather 1983? The mudslide down the hill on the lawn was fun and had a light'n strike during Bob Star and Wharf Rat I think. A long time ago. Show did not stop. It only got better.

It poured. The lightening was spectacular. Really thought people where going to die and amazed the stage electronics weren't impacted. It rain so hard, and I recall looking down at my feet. They looked like boats traveling uphill against a river of water. There were wakes from them because the water was gushing so fast. We laughed and froze. Going back to car, the park ranges had to divert traffic as entrances were washed out or blocked. I remember seeing 4 motorcycles parked near the creek, and all you could see was the mirrors sticking out above the water. We made it to the car and stripped off our wet clothes and marveled. ( taken from live music archive ).
This was a tremendous show. Unique with Little Bob Star and " Do know the people they call the Aborigines?" "They think this side is the dream side." During Sunshine Day Dream.
What got me is that Dead And CO were still selling the download for the same price as a full Show.
Gone Are The Days.
I love DSO. John Mayer is not a Hippy. DSO is. I love DSO does Jerry Band. Unbelievable shows. Shows better than the downloads even though I love the downloads. Matt and Rob have incredible chemistry together. And I love the whole band too. John Mayer is a Pop Star and blues guitarist. His Insta Gram post are ridiculous. Out of whack with our culture. Will always love Jerry. 23 yrs after is passing He is still alive and well. And always  will live in many of are hearts and minds. Been thinking lately about getting a Lucky Ol'' Sun Tattoo.

It’s funny because now venues and sports stadiums have policies that if lightning strikes within like 10 miles of the show you have to halt it until whatever period they need to be lightning free.  Back in the day rain or shine meant dodging lightning bolts. 

Cmon don’t tell me that promoting $3k cashmere steal your face blankets and blogging about designer Coachella wardrobe wasn’t what Jerry would be doing if he were still alive. He’d be cool with the Ticketmaster “platinum seating” where the prices are set based on demand and go up to $700 a seat 10 rows back if you try to buy during high demand. Jerry would be posting nonstop Instagram vids of him talking about nothing just to read comments where people say you are the greatest and to see what celebrity decided to attend a show to be cool. Jerry probably wouldn’t give interviews and say things like no woman could compare to the beauty of his own hand, though. That may have been George costanza.....speaking of that, we are lucky that the dead hasn’t become dated like Seinfeld or (insert 60/70’s band here). 

• Forum MVP

Raleigh

1)  Cold Rain + Snow, GSET, Peggy-O, Mexicali, Tennessee Jed, Bird Song > Bertha > Bird Song

2)  Throwing Stones > Deal, Estimated > Playin > D/S > Wheel > Diamonds on the Sole of Her Shoes > Wheel > Dear Prudence > OMSN

E:  Ripple

Always prefer DSO but this was a fun time!  I’d call it a decent show - warts and all.  Been awhile since I’ve seen a real Lot scene so that was cool.  Really nice to chill with Poertry Girl and company!  Good times with great people.

• Forum MVP
8 hours ago, Tea said:

Raleigh

1)  Cold Rain + Snow, GSET, Peggy-O, Mexicali, Tennessee Jed, Bird Song > Bertha > Bird Song

2)  Throwing Stones > Deal, Estimated > Playin > D/S > Wheel > Diamonds on the Sole of Her Shoes > Wheel > Dear Prudence > OMSN

Always prefer DSO but this was a fun time!  I’d call it a decent show - warts and all.  Been awhile since I’ve seen a real Lot scene so that was cool.  Really nice to chill with Poertry Girl and company!  Good times with great people.

I heard a rumor that u were gonna be at redrocks. Should be a blast 

• Forum MVP

I discovered a way to shut up young adults who like to yell at the band members from 4 rows back at the top of their lungs. (Why!?- this went on during Playing- how can you get into a dream space if there is a proverbial guy like on “Long Strange Trip” interrupting)  First , I had befriended them . I gave them a FYC card saying Shhhhh,,,, listen to the music play. Then I told them to shut up, Then,  I made fun of them asking if it was a bromance. The secret - a mint lifesaver. After space, it was finally quiet. Damn intoxicated people. 

• Forum MVP
On 6/10/2018 at 10:59 AM, Tea said:

Raleigh

Cold Rain & Slow, Greatest Story Ever Slowed, a Peggy- slow, Mexicali Snooze, and a Tenezzzzzzzzzzzz Jed. Looks like the 2nd set picked up with Slowing Stones> Deal, Decelerated Prophet. Hope you had fun Tea, but I''ll pass. Turned down a free ticket for the pit this upcoming weekend at Citi Field. Thanks, but no thanks. Peace.

Archived