My first dead$co show

Brian NJ

• Forum MVP

I enjoyed going to the show. We drove up early enough to get a shady spot behind Shakedown and hung out. Roaming brass band was fun. People playing tambourine and drums close by. Saw a vendor from Jubilee among the many. Great friends were around 💖

It was HOT! I mean 90 degrees gets sticky. I watched the band and the pit - Pockets of groovy people but the majority just stood during the dancing parts. That has to be boring. Vibe plays a big role  in a performance I think. Right ???? Half time there was a guy saying - smile. Why aren’t you smiling ?? The scene is more of a mixed bag compared to old days. I made eye contact with Mayer and Mickey probably  because we were dancing and clearly enjoying the music. I mean, I even like a complement every now and then for my work.... “ That wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be.” 😂 um... can’t make you you smile and laugh- it’s a job hazard for us both. Dentistry. I don’t like it either. 

Highlights for me- - . Bertha-> Birdsong reprise.  Estimated. The Wheel - the PENCILED in 💎 on the soles of her shoes - super jazzy and a quiet cutting loose—sexy layering of rhythms into Dear Prudence. I’ll take that all day long.  I loved it. 

PS Bobby’s voice seemed tired .... I’ve seen him up close 8 times now. Sorry — Bobby fans are people too. 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

Yeah, I have to think Bobby’s days of touring like this are numbered.  

By no fault of his - the guy is a machine.  He has probably been on a stage/performed more concerts than any other human, ever.  

Fingers crossed that he doesn’t hang onto it too long, as some would say he already has, but here’s hoping it’s evident to him before it’s no bueno.

I’m going to Shoreline to see them one more time.  I may have to take measures to ensure I stay awake lol.  

• Forum MVP
20 hours ago, August West said:

Cold Rain & Slow, Greatest Story Ever Slowed, a Peggy- slow, Mexicali Snooze, and a Tenezzzzzzzzzzzz Jed. Looks like the 2nd set picked up with Slowing Stones> Deal, Decelerated Prophet. Hope you had fun Tea, but I''ll pass. Turned down a free ticket for the pit this upcoming weekend at Citi Field. Thanks, but no thanks. Peace.

Not sure when/if I’ll see Bobby, Billy, or Mickey again - didn’t want to miss ‘em.  Pace was very deliberate but I was prepared goin in.  I extracted what I could from it and had a nice time.

Bird Song sandwich, Deal, and post Drums were my highlights.  If they come back to Raleigh, I’ll go. 

• Forum MVP
1 hour ago, Tea said:

I extracted what I could from it and had a nice time.

I don't think one could express experiencing Dead & Co better than this.  Well said, and exactly my take on the Shoreline Show I saw a couple summers back.

hey all - new to the forums but not the dead - have been following the forums since 2012 and am very grateful for them and you - went to the jubilee in '13  - my first dso shows  - saw them at pisgah that summer and wanee last year - i was floored and look forward to pisgah this summer- weirdly my first show was rfk 86?  (dylan and petty) - i was 17 and had no idea what was going on (first time i ate} - by then already lots of albums - the dead. floyd , zep, hendrix, t.rex, csny and especially crosby and nash - jerry played pedal steel on their green album  (laughing} - many others  - my first bootleg was 85 sundome - many more were to come - unfortunately i would not see the boys again until omni 92 - my last show was tampa 95 - given what happened i now cant even thing about the show i  missed - the bootlegs filled in the blanks - i saw phish in 94 and fall 97- got to see lots of panic in tallahassee in the early nineties - i saw dead and co. last friday in atlanta and it was pretty freaking good - maybe it was my head space but i danced my ass off - when i could tell they were going to do a full lostsaint i about shit - for what its worth,  i really appreciate the comments about the take/need and leave/rest - in the end ,  i will try to see dso because  there is nobody else doing what they do- i remember halfway through jack straw the first night of jubilee 13  i knew that they were the real deal (energy, musicianship, love}- forgive my blabbering on and on - just wanted to say hello to my brothers and sisters- peace

• Forum MVP

Glad u stopped in and said hi. Good group of people on here. Lots of perfectionists but Dso is the band for that type of person. If u need your dead played like dead this is your spot. That being said I enjoy deadco live(only live) and love JRAD too. I mostly play GD but play some of the epic Dso shows(most are epic) but like the 68 they did in Norfolk. I look at it like they are showing off when they do a show like that. My buddy and I listened to that 12-1-17 I think viola and were laughing at the thought of deadco doing a viola like that. It really is that comical if u listen to the Norfolk viola. That’s one where u are like drop the mic from above your head and just walk off and don’t look back. I’m lucky enough to be seeing them in a week for a cross country trip. Fuck yeah!!!!

Keep coming back!!  I sound like I’m in an AA meeting. I mean who here hasn’t done a few of those..right?

yep - one of the main reasons i missed  six years of the boys - living in coon bottom outside of tallassee growen , drinking , sweating - lots of drinking and sweating - acid-house parties- bootlegs - i know youre all stoked  for red rocks - have some awesome shows - will get to one night at pisgah- a few good beers and a little rythym for my head - gogogo

• Forum MVP

I’m all for more dead but at home I can’t do deadco anymore. Plus I now have possibly the greatest GD collection ever assembled so on that note I’m gonna listen to one of these Healy ultra matrix. I’ve gotta force myself more into the 80/90s. I mean there’s so much from 69-79 that you could spend years on that alone and even though that’s my wheelhouse (mostly because of board quality difference) I have to expand my listening habits. Now my choice is more should I do SBD, aud or Matrix of a certain show. In the 80s o think many of the aud recordings do more justice than the board. 

• Forum MVP

I’m not up to speed on all the talk about the different recordings but I do know a good tape can make all the difference in the world and a bad recording only needs to be listened to once. I started in ‘80 so I am partial to the Brent era, those tapes bring me back to the shows I was at, the best memories. I do appreciate the earlier music but the band was still evolving, hadn’t peaked yet. (That could be argued) The list of songs they could pull from was still growing also. Hornsby filling in brought hope after Brent died but that didn’t work out. After that, we kept going to shows because we knew Jerry was dying and then we wouldn’t be able to. There was always at least one song in a show that was so incredible that I continued to keep coming back for more. (Visions of Johanna 3/18/95) Jerry is God. After he died, I went five years without any shows. I stumbled into Dark Star inadvertently at the music pier in Ocean City, New Jersey in 2000 (?). By the third song, my eyes were full of tears and the hair on the back of my neck was standing on end.  (Ten feet in front of John K., Peggy-O.) I could still go to shows! Dark Star Orchestra has evolved, grown and NEVER disappointed me since then. I catch them whenever they come around. That’s all, thanks for letting me share. 

• Forum MVP

Rude, to your point about the 80s audience tapes doing more justice than the boards, and Greg, to your point about how a good tape can make all the difference...there's a Red Rocks recording that is going to be circulating shortly from 7-27-82 that's been transferred from my PCM. After listening to this it will be as if you have not heard the show unless you were there.  😊

The power of Phil in the Other One climax is unworldly. The SBD cassette overloads during this section, rendering it useless, and all other audience recordings stop well short of capturing the insane power.  

Tonight was fucking awesome,look at the setlis. Bobby wasn’t tired, that dude is a warrior,he knows what he’s doing...no more shitting  on  him because he’s old and his voice is tired and all that nonsense...he’s a founding father of what we love ...the vibe was way up from the lot to the end. This show  was beautiful. Let there be songs.... to fill the air 

• Forum MVP
3 hours ago, Vic81 said:

Tonight was fucking awesome,look at the setlis. Bobby wasn’t tired, that dude is a warrior,he knows what he’s doing...no more shitting  on  him because he’s old and his voice is tired and all that nonsense...he’s a founding father of what we love ...the vibe was way up from the lot to the end. This show  was beautiful. Let there be songs.... to fill the air 

Sugar Mags > 1/2 Step, Peggy-O, Bertha, Comes A Time, Jack-a-Roe, Bird Song > New Speedway

Help > Slip > Franklins, St Stephen > William Tell Bridge, The Eleven > Drums > Space > Eyes > Stella Blue > Sunshine Daydream 

E:  OMSN

• Forum MVP
12 hours ago, Vic81 said:

no more shitting  on  him because he’s old and his voice is tired

Now wait a minute, Chester. Never the intention- just noticed it wasn’t as strong as I’d seen and prolly, maybe cuz Atlanta was so on the top. I mean,   I can go like I’m in my twenties cuz I am in my head and feel good about it until the next day. And I am like wtf, and realize oh yeah, I was acting like a rockstar yesterday. I am not a hater. 

Bob is amazing. Truly a bright light, treasured for so many many reasons. 

PS it could be been the sound too- his voice sounds stronger on the nugs.net recording. 

• Forum MVP

Listened to the half time show. The secret phone line lol - On the Golden Road the announcers have the silkiest most chill but enthusiastic voices. Perfect. 

Sugar Mag start.... then a later  Sunshine Daydream? Do you think it extreme to split it Up between nights? Leave ya teased, wanting more, too much? Does New Speedway start make you think Truckin is coming? This tour has had the Other One weaving in and out. Have you noticed?? Holy crap- that Help On the Way 🔥and Slipknot had some great insanity in it!!😜

My post didn’t matriculate into the feed last night. Oh well - 

Happy Fathers Day to all the guys, fathers and uncles .All those kind masculine qualities that bring such beautiful grounding of the heart in youngsters, to that, a hearty Thank you. 

• Forum MVP

I’ve never shitted on deadco because of Bobby’s voice. I’ve shitted on them because of the tempo and essentially giving up on trying to transition from 1 song to the next as a whole band. Dead transitions are what made them so unique. They invented the mashup. It’s hard shit to do. I love watching Dso communicate on stage non verbally. A 90 degree Turn of Eaton’s head signals the transition and the whole band seems to always have their peripheral vision on point. 

• Forum MVP
16 hours ago, Greg from Chestertown said:

This would be an interesting twist, what if DSO takes Dead and Company’s set list from last night and recreates it in the very near future? Good idea? Don’t go there?

You have a better chance of meeting the Pope.

Archived