Red Rocks 7-8-18

• Forum MVP

Just so we have a spot in reviews for reviews of this outstanding show. 

Everyone knows this is a recreation of 7-8-78, also played at red rocks, surely also sold out, also featuring Donna Jean! The fillers we're box and China Rider (which smoked). Everything tonight was just exactly perfect! Every band member was on fire, the crew did a killer job setting everything up, the family drums segment was a carribean delight. Estimated other one eyes was the fucking goods! Really appreciated my dance partners tonight, they kept me churning when the tank was low. Rob E you were right, the sound on row 25 was awesome. So happy for the band and this milestone, and grateful to have experienced it! ♥️

• Like (+1) 7
  • Forum MVP

DSO and crew simply knocked it outta the park on one of the best stages!  More importantly, it was clear to me that they were having the time of their lives up there!  Just Wow.  So happy for the DSO family - they deserve only the best.  It’s been a LONG winding road for them and their families.

So kind to kick down a free webcast and the goosebumps started almost immediately! I obviously knew what they were going to play but I still found myself surprised as they would go from song to song.  It was just so wonderfully produced and the sound was literally dynamite!

The highlight of many highlights for me was the DSO family Drums!  So cool to see  that stage brimming with so much energy and love.  It made me miss my DSO family more than a little but I kept coming back to how cool it must be for the band and crew to have that experience.  I imagine it was a ton of hard work to pull it off but it’s always been a labor of love.  

DSO is a world-class band with a world-class crew - hands down!  An amazing performance at an amazing place in front of a sold-out crowd.  So happy for everyone who got to see the magic unfold.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Forum MVP

it was a 📦  of love and happiness- like a 🎁 . I just  ❤️  cutting loose with everyone and getting the funk out , shining out and drifting on the dream, listening to the sound. And the calls of  🐺 . :)) I  spun, and was  swirled high, like a soft serve🍦 by the end of Wharf 🐀  and that felt good. Lots of energy flowing - the 💨  cooling  us off- the ⛰  giving shelter as the  🌞  dropped low - the 💨  lifted and whipped the set list 📖 off a stand during Bertha- as if -“you don’t need this set list, right?? Ha!  Wowzah. The 🐦s  that cruised in and out the arena. How epic to see this show after following the GD road to Red Rocks through the box set this past year!!  🙏🏻 Truly both shows - GD and DSO- 💎 . 🌧  to the south, Southeast gave us a glimmer of a rainbow 🌈 over the right side of the amphitheater. Deal  ♦️ ♠️ ♥️  couldn’t help but think when Jerry says been here abouts ten solid  good years what 1968 called up in the band’s mind and it called up for me how my journey has unfolded the past decade-  2008-2018. 

I am so grateful to have been here with my family, see my loved ones and see and meet  😃 yours. I love you all more than words can tell and they fail me. I am so amazed I have such a 🌟 night at a most incredible place. Many things have revealed themselves to me and going to search them out and anchor them into my life. 

Peace and love always.... 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Thank you to the band for such an amazing night, and for allowing me to experience such a magnificent venue. I would probably never have gone there if it wasn't for you guys.  The music was wonderful, high energy throughout. Agreed that row 25 had fabulous sound, gr8fulpair. We must have been neighbors, I was around that row behind the board. Really proud of the band for selling the place out. Hopefully they'll get you guys back next year 😎😎

• Forum MVP

You know the night is epic when you pull up to Taco Bell after the show and they start with welcome to Pizza Hut may I take your order. We eventually even got a welcome to good burger home of the good burger reference. 

Wow I could say a whole lot. I could say nothing at all. It really doesn’t matter. The magic of last night still radiates the core of my soul. 

I dont want to sound patronizing but I couldn’t be more proud of my band of our band. Just selling the place out was an achievement in itself but the music was beyond compare. The way you could feel estimated swirl around the Amphitheatre. The bounce of eyes flow through each row up and around the venue back down to the band. 

For the first time in awhile, I even feel the urge to spill my heart and bare my soul but alas I grew past that. I bore my soul here for myself so I could see it and experience my own growth but now my soul is bare where it needs to be. 

Im gonna be Dad in December. 

• Like (+1) 11
  • Forum MVP

I’m sure lots of us can remember those magical nights when it seemed the band played just to us. I mean it almost was just to us. Several times over the years especially earlier on I saw DSO play to crowds of 100 or less. Lots of empty theaters. Lots of packed crummy ass bars. The bluebird Indiana anyone? To witness the struggle the climb Dark Star took to the top, took me to Terrapin. They did a more slow steady dedicated climb as I fell stumbled crawled climbed and did it all over again on my way to my Terrapin. 

Last night to a crowd of 9000 strong DSO didn’t just play to me but at times it still felt that way. The magic was still felt. They brought the goods and I didn’t have to be two feet from the speaker to get it but more importantly you could feel the music heal and unite. Truely transcend even the ethereal. We were one and everything all at once. The community felt strong. I am beyond thankful to be but a small part of it. Can not wait to continue to see it grow. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Forum MVP

I’m proud of us too. Many of us even now take some ridicule from the masses that make up the greater dead community. Dso is a coverband while Dead and Co or Furthur or Ratdog some how constitutes what the real thing is today. Don’t get me wrong most these cats appreciate DSO. They helped fill the place last night. Local heads fill venues but the DSO traveling crew made the real difference last night. People from all over the country made the trek to Red Rocks. We wanted to show our support. We wanted to feel the magic. We are so glad DSO brought us together from far and wide. What was once thought of as a small insignificant offshoot of the Dead scene proved itself to be full of power full of might full of inspiration. The band and the music deserves the most thanks but let’s not forget the power of what we showed. Our community is strong. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Forum MVP

Estimated and family drums were musical highlights but the filled venue was the star for me. I too can remember the shows where you didn't need the hundreds place when counting the faces...at least at the Bluebird you can count on it being a one drummer show!

Although there were 9000+ in attendance I roamed around and ran into the dozen or so (which represents 1000's of DSO "man shows") I tend to always run into if present.

No use worrying about patronizing, self serving, or being concerned of what others may think...the band deserved this, and yes so did we.

So as it has been these many years, I am on my way home to patch my bones so I can get back truckin on.

4 minutes ago, chuckvegas said:

I’m very glad I went.

Glad to see you...been awhile. Remember when I first started seeing DSO in earnest and wondering who the guy dancing at all the shows was...an integral link in the unbroken chain.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP

I’m proud of you all too! One thing I can say about my mates and crew, it doesnt matter the size of the venue or how many people attend. We are ALWAYS in search of the magic. Pure and simple. Thanks to all of you for coming and freely freeking.

more to come;-)

RB

• Like (+1) 9
  • Thanks (+1) 2

I am sitting in the airport terminal waiting to fly back home. Congratulations to the band The Crew and everybody that makes this all happen and thank you. Thank you for a real good time, for keeping this music alive and well, for providing a place for like-minded spirits to dance and sing and have joy and thank you to the many many many beautiful souls I have met in this community... Darkstar selling out red rocks and perfection of the show they played was out of this fucking 🌎

• Like (+1) 5
6 hours ago, Mason's Child said:

Im gonna be Dad in December. 

Congrats MC!!

29 minutes ago, Rbarracoph said:

more to come;-)

RB

With plenty of advance notice, we all hope. Already wearing down the wife, saying they sold the place out, they'll hopefully be back... Her first GD related concert. She enjoyed it 😎😎

• Like (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP

Epic time. Adding a Dso 3 song encore to the 3 encore show was a real treat. On the omsn I thought Eaton said “president dumb ass comes on the news” but couldn’t be sure. It was so fast to fit it in I couldn’t be certain. I think the show was 4:20 start to finish. Can’t wait til next year. I definitely will never do a 6200 mile road trip again lol. 

• Forum MVP

Super happy for so many of you.  Saw some group photos, and your smiles were a good sign of the magic.  

Could not be happier that DSO sold out Red Rocks.  Hope that gives me a chance to make the next round.  Hopefully for back to back nights!!!

Safe travels to many, and for those.sticking around the Rockies to enjoy a magnificent geology, enjoy the paths you take!!  

It's a strange feeling to be as happy as I am for others and as bummed as I am to miss out, but that awkwardness is too part of that magic!!!

Sold out Red Rocks.  Wow.  Thst would.have to be the largest crowd ever.  

I said when I first hopped on this bus, DSO will be playing stadiums one day.....

I dont want stadium shows, as I love the sound and dance space to much, but I want this music to forever be part of my kids, and their kids option for release.  This is the first step, and I dont seeing it going away.  

Love yall....be good, be safe, and enjoy the Colorado terrain!!!  Warmest of wishes.....china rider filler.....who does not wish they were a headlight, I certainly do!!!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Forum MVP

Yea, I am wondering if red rocks may have been a ‘touch of Grey’ moment for Dark Star Orchestra. We all know the wheel is turning and you can’t slow it down. This may change things. Larger venues, less show per year. It’s almost understandable if it happens. The band and crew have been on an Olympic pace, faster than the Grateful Dead themselves. I, personally, don’t want to see anything change but there is opportunity in everything. I do hope the band sees the good they were shown by our support for them Sunday night, continues to polish their game, adjusts course accordingly, and keeps on growing. You know this song, it ain’t never gonna end.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Forum MVP

So true. It’s actually ironic that I used the touch of grey reference. The crowd changed, some smaller facets of the Grateful Dead universe changed, but the band Did not. They just kept rolling along, staying true. I was thinking that when typing my previous post. It must be difficult for Dark Star Orchestra to not be effected by SELLING OUT RED ROCKS. It’s a beautiful thing, no doubt, but I hope they don’t react to that in any way that is detrimental in the long run. I have been absolutely loving Dark Star Orchestra  for over eighteen years now, I respect the fragility and preciousness of it all. I just want to see it last. It keeps me going.